Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 14-01-2014, 10:11   #4321
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You said (DoS) attack. The odd ping isn't an issue but ports scans and Dos attacks I think you'll find are criminal offences. Certainly they will be against ISP T&C.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2014, 14:16   #4322
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Nah, there's a difference between a civil offense and a criminal offense.

As for ISP T&C's when you're not a subscriber to said ISP it hardly matters.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 15:53   #4323
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

http://www.out-law.com/page-9592
Old 14-01-2014, 16:26   #4324
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Who said the attack occurred in England or Wales?
Old 14-01-2014, 16:36   #4325
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

kwikbreaks: Do yourself a favour and stop now, qasdfdsaq will argue semantics until you're blue in the face (See previous page).
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 19:12   #4326
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Oh I'm well aware of that. Like others I've had him on and off ignore numerous times but right now I'm just letting it run without getting annoyed.

He is clearly losing this time around having admitted on a public bulletin board to making DoS attacks. Now clearly this couldn't have been done from a home internet connection as they simply don't have the available bandwidth so that leave him either running a botnet or far more likely using an employers kit for illicit purposes. If it's the former he may even have attracted the attention of the NSA who maybe even now have a black helicopter hovering over his bedsit and an orange jumpsuit and latex gloves ready and waiting...

OK very unlikely but we can all live in hope.

Inidentally had he read past the first sentence in the article proving him wrong he would have seen.... "The law was already in force in Scotland."
Old 14-01-2014, 23:25   #4327
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post

Inidentally had he read past the first sentence in the article proving him wrong he would have seen.... "The law was already in force in Scotland."
Who said anything about the attack occurring in Scotland?

Quote:
Now clearly this couldn't have been done from a home internet connection as they simply don't have the available bandwidth so that leave him either running a botnet or far more likely using an employers kit for illicit purposes.
A 20Mbps upload on BT Infinity is plenty to ping flood any Virgin Media line, and, before the double-speed upgrades was enough to simply flood flood the downstream on most connections too.

Quote:
If it's the former he may even have attracted the attention of the NSA who maybe even now have a black helicopter hovering over his bedsit and an orange jumpsuit and latex gloves ready and waiting...
As if the NSA would have any jurisdiction here.

More importantly, as if the NSA would take anything I said on an internet forum seriously.

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
kwikbreaks: Do yourself a favour and stop now, qasdfdsaq will argue semantics until you're blue in the face (See previous page).
Why do you care if I'm right, wrong, or just arguing semantics? I'm just any old random idiot on the internet, nobody's forcing you to care about my opinion.
Old 15-01-2014, 08:09   #4328
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Why do you care if I'm right, wrong, or just arguing semantics? I'm just any old random idiot on the internet, nobody's forcing you to care about my opinion.
What do you care about who and what advice I give to any other random idiot on the internet? :P

ANYWAY, here's something we haven't done in a while - Ping Graphs!

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Mine is still looking generally pretty decent, a couple of spikes but those were during some fairly hefty downloading (You can tell when the humble bundle got updated with extra games :P).

Still, nothing compared to a "real" fibre connection:

Old 15-01-2014, 09:08   #4329
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Lies.

Old 15-01-2014, 09:11   #4330
Kushan

Sheesh, look at that minimum latency!
Old 15-01-2014, 09:34   #4331
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Quote:
A 20Mbps upload on BT Infinity is plenty to ping flood any Virgin Media line
Only if the default Superhub setting of not responding to pings from the WAN has been changed. BTW I'm pretty sure the law applies in NI too so all territories where Infinity is available.
Quote:
As if the NSA would have any jurisdiction here.
I don't think our American cousins worry too much about jurisdiction. If they did a certain bearded Arab would still be in Pakistan and not feeding the fishes.
Quote:
The random idiot is resident in Scotland.
I'm not so my base latency is better. I can also show a current chart as I am still on it.
Old 15-01-2014, 18:07   #4332
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Only if the default Superhub setting of not responding to pings from the WAN has been changed. BTW I'm pretty sure the law applies in NI too so all territories where Infinity is available.
The default Superhub setting *is* to respond to pings from WAN and to do so without any rate limit. At least it used to be. I haven't tried for a while.

Nor was I admitting using a BT Infinity connection, simply saying it was possible, contrary to your assertion that it wasn't.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

Quote:
FINE.

You want to make it about minimum latency?
Old 15-01-2014, 18:11   #4333
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Well it's usually mine's bigger than yours but if you want mine's smaller than yours...

Old 15-01-2014, 18:16   #4334
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I can also show a current chart
Current chart you say...

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Quote:
Well it's usually mine's bigger than yours but if you want mine's smaller than yours...
My minimum was smaller

[/wonders what kind of DDoS would make Kwikbreaks.co.uk's chart go all funky]
Old 15-01-2014, 18:19   #4335
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

As you said a while back you no longer have it I'm guessing that isn't your chart.

As my server is in the same data centre as the TBB one I can only assume yours must be on a closer rack....