Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless signal not travelling well in house

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Wireless signal not travelling well in house

Old 02-09-2012, 10:17   #1
bobcf
Inactive

bobcf is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless signal not travelling well in house

My Dad's on Virgin broadband and has the Super Hub, and thus wireless. When I visit I connect to wireless via my iPad, and at the location of the hub the signal is excellent (3 bars), but down in the living room it drops to 1 bar or off wireless completely. It is an older house and probably has thicker walls etc but has anyone got any advice on how to get better wireless connectivity throughout the house? Thanks.
bobcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05   #2
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Re: Wireless signal not travelling well in house

You will find literally hundreds of posts on this forum regarding poor wifi range with the Superhub. The only effective solution is to put the hub in modem mode and buy a proper wireless router. If you don't need anything too high tech then a DIR 615 for about £10 from eBay will do the trick.
Old 02-09-2012, 14:10   #3
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

The auto channel mode is bugged and changes to the most congested channel instead of the least congested.

Download and install InSSider on a wifi enabled PC. Run it to see which channels are most in use locally.

Decide which looks to be the most uncongested and then manually change the superhub to that channel. Only swap between 1 - 6 - 11.

If that doesn't help then, as already suggested in post#2, acquire a proper router and install it with the superhub in modem mode.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 15:05   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I bought an Asus RT-N66U Router (Not cheap) but worth it, as it boosts the signal to devices that are using it.

If you have a smartphone try Wifi Analyzer, it will tell you whose using what near by aswell as noise levels.
Old 03-09-2012, 18:28   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
If you have a smartphone try Wifi Analyzer, it will tell you whose using what near by aswell as noise levels.
No it won't.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:46   #6
bobcf
Inactive

Just picking up on this again, as issue not sorted.

I did download Inssider and tried changing the modem channel, but this did not help.

We had already bought a Netgear router, prior to getting a Superhub, but had initial problems with password. Depending on exactly what model it is (will have to check), maybe people think it's a better bet than the Superhub.

As my Dad now has a laptop (but which will act as a Desktop at times) I want to try and get things sorted. I will wish to set things up so as the new laptop can have wired access. Presumably if I just connect the wires as per the old desktop I would just need to go to a modem set-up page and put the password back in?

I saw on Currys website they were offering various wi-fi extender/booster products for sale e.g. Netgear WN1000RP, TP-Link TLWA730. How good are these products, as I guess the advantage is there is less fiddle involved compared to installing a new router?

I'd appreciate any further thoughts.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13   #7
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Bob

The SH is worse than most in terms of wireless rabge; but other routers also suffer signla attenuation thrugh walls and due to distance. I've got a two top notch routers (1 on Infinity, one on VM) - different brands and obnce you're in another room with walls in between, speed drops significantly.

So the solution I've used is to put a wirelss access point in any room that needs it. I punt ethernet round the house with powerlines/homeplugs and then plug the access point into the ethernet outlet of the Homeplug.

Thing is with wireless, unless you put heavy duty high gain antennae onto your router (if you can), and unless you radiate from the right position, wireless starts out as a difficult proposition in terms of expectation versus reality. So money needs to be thrown at a requirement. A sound general rule actually.

It's a pity that VM's advertising of that wretched SH's wirelss capabilities doesn't come anywhere near to reality.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 19:04   #8
bobcf
Inactive

Thanks for response. I've checked and the other router is a Netgear N150 (WNR1000). Is that regarded as decent, although given the new laptop will need to be set up for wired anyway it'll make sense to give it a go.

So you suggest one/some of those power line adapters you plug into the electrical circuit near where your broadband is, and then in places where you want to work. Except are you saying you then get those to give out wireless signal rather than using an Ethernet cable?
Old 09-12-2012, 19:31   #9
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The WNR 1000 is very low end; it's WAN-LAN throughput is sub 100meg (so no good with the VM 100 meg service); isn't dual band wi-fi and doesn't have Gigabit ethernet ports. I recommend one of the ASUS routers; I have an Asus RT56-NU. But they cost rather more than the WNR1000.

The powerline adaptors are worth looking up in the reviews. I use Devolo 200 AVs. You can buy them (and other brands - don't use Netgear is my advice) with wireless repeater built in. Maplin's do them.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote