Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updating our Router Recommendations Article

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Updating our Router Recommendations Article

Old 05-11-2008, 13:09   #1
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Question Updating our Router Recommendations Article

It's some time since the current article which lists a compliation of recommendations on routers has been updated. It's time we rectified this, particularly since that article makes no reference to the current generations of "n" speed wireless, mimo and other new ideas.

We can spend some time trawling the forum for the recent views on router, or we could just ask you for your thoughts. I'm choosing the easy option.

If you have a router, for cable or ADSL. You find it reliable, easy to set up or whatever, please give us your recommendations. Equally if you haven't got on with something, let us know. The positive and the negative are equally important.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2008, 15:39   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Updating our Router Recommendations Article

The Netgear WGR614 - I know it is already listed, but I want to make sure you don't take it off. It is rock solid and you can now get it for about £25 if you know where to look
Old 05-11-2008, 16:05   #3
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Linksys WAG200G, got mine for £40 off of Play.com, fantastic router.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 17:21   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I'm not expecting to take any routers off the list, unless they are no longer available, or there is information that they have become unreliable, perhaps a newer version might have broken something.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 17:52   #5
Kiryu
Inactive

Services: VM TV+BB XXL
Kiryu is an unknown quantity at this point

please see my thread I recommended the Dlink DIR-655
Kiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 16:39   #6
Blackswan2
Inactive

Blackswan2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Going to buy one tomorrow from PC World. Ideally about £30, max £50.
Have a PC with XP, a laptop with Vista and a work laptop with XP.
What should I go for?
Blackswan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 16:47   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Got my Netgear WGT624v4 off ebay for £21.99 delivered, can't rate it high enough, nice solid wifi connection 54Mhz all the time... Though I must get a G+ dongle so I can have the 108Mhz connection
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 17:37   #8
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Got my Netgear WGT624v4 off ebay for £21.99 delivered, can't rate it high enough, nice solid wifi connection 54Mhz all the time... Though I must get a G+ dongle so I can have the 108Mhz connection
Or.. y'know Mbps
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:56   #9
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

What about Wireless-N home routers ?
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:50   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
Or.. y'know Mbps
Sorry had just finished an email about frequency for a APRS system so still had Mhz on the brain
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 21:54   #11
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Sorry had just finished an email about frequency for a APRS system so still had Mhz on the brain
Happens to me all the time....
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 03:07   #12
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

A mention for the Belkin G+ MIMO F5D9230-4 wireless cable router. (PC World: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/869557, I didn't buy it, previous tenants did and have left it here for us). Only needs resetting along with the modem at random intervals (and never while I'm connected for some reason), but works fine with Virgin modems.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 22:41   #13
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

I was looking for a router which would be powerful and future proof. After much investigation, I decided on the D-Link Xtreme N(tm) Gigabit Router (DIR-655), which has both WAN and LAN gigabit ports. The only obvious drawback is that although the router has a USB port, it is near useless as you cannot connect a printer or hard drive to it. The router was bought from amazon.co.uk and supplied by Pixmania for £74.35 including postage and packing.

Incidentally, for top performance, it's best to have PCs with gigabit ethernet (1000Base-T) adapter cards, because if you were to move files between the PCs then you should see an improvement compared with PC fitted with 100Base-T cards. Your PC should also have either a PCIe (PCI Express) X1 slot or an onboard NIC that connects via PCIe to the CPU.

I took delivery recently. A little disconcertingly the language on the packaging is in French and the two-pin European power cord required a three-pin UK adapter (supplied). I got it working without a problem. Here's what did.

I switched off the PC and powered off the SB5100 SURFboard cable modem by removing the power cable. I waited several minutes to allow the modem to release the MAC address of the PC's Ethernet adapter, then connected the router to the modem and PC by the WAN and LAN ports respectively and, ignoring the set up disk, booted up the modem, router and PC (in that order). You need to wait for the modem's four green lights to come on before booting up the router.

I got internet access first time. I then brought up the router's web page using http://192.168.0.1/ and did some more configuration:

1. Disabled the wireless network (as I'm not using it)
2. On the firewall: I enabled anti-spoof checking and set UDP Endpoint Filtering to Port and Address Restricted (to give a bit more protection than the default Address Restricted). Stateful packet inspection (SPI) was enabled by default
3. Set the clock to the correct time.
4. Flashed the firmware from 1.11EU to the current 1.20EU.
5. Enabled email notification to inform me whenever the log is full or there is a newer firmware version

Initially I didn't clone the MAC address of my PC's Ethernet Controller into the in the WAN port, but still got internet access. However, I've subsequently done this.

It's early days, but I have to say that it's looking good so far. Indeed, judging from the number of TCP connections blocked by the firewall, I'm well pleased to have this first line of defence.

Just to note something: if the router is switched off, then the router's time must be reset if you want accurate log times, otherwise the time will start from when the router was turned off. Oh, and a niggle: the router's blue lights are very bright, so I've turned it slightly sideways and away from my line of sight.

Incidentally, here are some wireless routers which I dismissed.

SMC SMCWGBR14-N Barricade N ProMax Draft 11n
Lacks heatsinks on either the Ubicom processor or Realtek switch or even a thermal pad

Linksys WRT350N wireless router with Storage Link
Poor reported performance of the USB port for connecting storage devices

Apple AirPort Extreme
No firewall

Netgear WNR854T RangeMax Next Wireless-N Router Gigabit Edition
Awful user reviews
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 07:14   #14
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

I bought the same D-Link DIR-655 and it's working great. I get a good strong wireless signal all over my house and we've got it connected to 1 laptop, 1 netbook 1 mini mac, 1 macbook and a Nintendo Wii. I bought it because it's got very good reviews all over the internet.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 20:02   #15
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Looking to replace an old WRT54GS. Still looking for Linksys, but something just for a cheeky upgrade. I dont need N support. Just wondering if I could get some model number recomendations.