Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No Live Update - Since router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No Live Update - Since router

Old 20-01-2005, 08:39   #1
caveman
Inactive

caveman is an unknown quantity at this point
No Live Update - Since router

It may have nothing to do with it, but since the installation of my router, I have not had Liveupdate with NAV. There was a update today on Symantec site which I managed to DL OK manually.
Should I have to manually enter any data in the router for "Port Forwarding" for example, or it usual not to have to configure.
System - Win XP SP2, Netgear 614v3 and NAV 2004 Pro.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-01-2005, 09:46   #2
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star
Re: No Live Update - Since router

Nothing personal mate, but loose nortons it is known for being bloatware, taking up massive resources, and being annoying.

As for liveupdate, when does it actually work.

Sorry just my view, make sure in your routers firewall liveupdate has been given the permissions needed to access the net.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 09:51   #3
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

I wouldnt have thought so - i use a Linksys Wireless G router with Norton and have no problems.

If you double click on the NIS icon in your system tray - then click on Norton Antivirus on the left hand plane (working from Norton 2003 here) what does it say for Automatic Liveupdate? Is is On or Off? If it is off, try and switch it on. If this works - great - otherwise....

If it is off, type services.msc in Start -> run, then look down the list and check that the Task scheduler service is running. If it is not then right click on it and goto properties - set it to automatic if it is not already - if it is and its stopped come back and let us know - then click the start button.

If it starts sucessfully go back to your NIS screen and enable Automatic Liveupdate. (again if it dosent let us know)

This *should* work.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 10:52   #4
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

I had a problem recently with live update recently, not updating automatically, but you can update manually.

Try this first.

If that doesn't work, try this.

The second solution worked for me. A certain update kept reseting the task in scheduled tasks.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 12:11   #5
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

nortons fine -

Open the following ports to enable Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition and LiveUpdate to work correctly:
  • UDP port 38293 -- Intel PDS listening for ping packets
  • UDP port 2967 -- RTVScan request to Winsock
  • TCP ports -- 80, 21, 443 - LiveUpdate
- personally i wouldnt open 80 21 or 443 seems a bit starnge it needs web server ftp and https ..

my NAV works fine though a router - im using 2003 but i imagine the live update software/engine is the same

2 things you can try.

Add your computers IP to the DMZ so basically the router dosnt do any firewall/port fowarding .

Remove router plug Modem to NIC of your pc.

in both cases see if Live update works .
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 12:22   #6
Mal
Inactive

Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

The thing is, he won't find out if it works until the next update, which could be next Wednesday

Though I've had no problems with liveupdate with my linksys router, my problem was with the scheduled tasks.
Old 20-01-2005, 12:24   #7
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

he could uninstall it and reinstall then try liveupdate that will get it going
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 12:38   #8
Mal
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSAGES
he could uninstall it and reinstall then try liveupdate that will get it going
Hmmm...you seem to have to do that a lot with norton...
Old 20-01-2005, 13:22   #9
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Which version of Norton do you have?

From, I guess, 1st January Symantec have stopped supporting SystemWorks with any version prior to 2004. If you want to use LiveUpdate then you must upgrade to the lastest version.

Alternatively, you can manually download and install the virus definitions from here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com.../download.html

Edit:
RTFP
"NAV 2004 Pro" - dunno then. Still you could try the manual download.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 13:28   #10
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

And I have Zonealarm ( latest version ) and no issues, it works well with Avast! Home which works fine, with sp2 and without.

I moved from Nortons because of such issues, it wont do alot of things I wanted it to do. But the biggest thing which bugged me was the sheer amount of resources it takes on bootup and tasks it has running in background, and rather dubious worrying connections via ftp and http it tries to access.

Also the most annoying was the AV Nortons finding a virus and refuseing to let me click ok and shut down and boot into safe mode, by constantly going virus alert click ok to continue.. forcing me to hardboot the computer and then go into safe mode to do it myself.

Avast! just moves to chest, i delete job done. And if it needs safe mode it tells me and boots into it.

Personally I say dump Nortons its made for new users who aint famiilair to the internet and its troubles and programs, and for shops like PCworld to make money.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 14:35   #11
Mal
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJames
And I have Zonealarm ( latest version ) and no issues, it works well with Avast! Home which works fine, with sp2 and without.

I moved from Nortons because of such issues, it wont do alot of things I wanted it to do. But the biggest thing which bugged me was the sheer amount of resources it takes on bootup and tasks it has running in background, and rather dubious worrying connections via ftp and http it tries to access.

Also the most annoying was the AV Nortons finding a virus and refuseing to let me click ok and shut down and boot into safe mode, by constantly going virus alert click ok to continue.. forcing me to hardboot the computer and then go into safe mode to do it myself.

Avast! just moves to chest, i delete job done. And if it needs safe mode it tells me and boots into it.

Personally I say dump Nortons its made for new users who aint famiilair to the internet and its troubles and programs, and for shops like PCworld to make money.
The thing with the advice to dump Nortons is that they might not be able to afford to write the £30 odd quid it cost to buy it, off (obviously I don't know caveman's financial situation ).

What I mean by that is if you've spent the money, you want value from it and if it's just a minor problem that can be solved by asking here...
Old 20-01-2005, 15:55   #12
caveman
Inactive

caveman is an unknown quantity at this point

This problem I fear is not router related but due to the fast that I formatted and reinstalled everything recently on a few days before fitting the router. Because it is 2004 software, I fear that as said in a previous post Liveupdate will not work as it is installed in 2005 (although a reinstall). This is no big deal as I can manually update virus definitions, and as Symantec only update every 7 days that's no problem. If I do get the urge I will try some of the posssible cures.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 16:22   #13
Mal
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman
Because it is 2004 software, I fear that as said in a previous post Liveupdate will not work as it is installed in 2005 (although a reinstall).
Symantec still support the 2004 version, so that shouldn't be the problem, reinstalling it in 2005. Check out those possible solutions from Symantec.
Old 20-01-2005, 16:25   #14
soneill
Inactive

soneill is on a distinguished roadsoneill is on a distinguished road

I am still getting updates for the 2002 version so I hope they are still supporting 2004!
soneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 16:27   #15
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

...In fact, unless they've closed this loophole in later versions, re-installing gets you another 12-month's free subscription!