Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problem with MIRC and MSN on new router, please help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Problem with MIRC and MSN on new router, please help

Old 09-01-2005, 04:31   #1
Simcut
Inactive

Services: 120mbit Virgin Media Cable Sky Digital Package (Sky+)
Simcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about them
Unhappy Problem with MIRC and MSN on new router, please help

Hi guys,

first of all, happy new year to all of you!

Secondly, I have finally got round to setting up the wireless network in my house, if I briefly say that the cable point in the wall is in my sister's room when we moved here 9 weeks ago and I used to have my PC in her room but I have moved mine into my room and have built her's up and which is working fine at the moment. The only problem is the router. I have bought a US Robitics Turbo Access Point & Router as well as a PCI Card with an Antenna on for my machine. I am able to use the internet on my PC but I am only getting a signal strength of 75% max and I am an avid gamer and I use my connection a hell of a lot and currently the performance isnt all that, I have tried to move the router as far away from the monitor and PC as possible but I am still not seeing much of an improvement, should I also move the router away from the cable modem as much as I can? I am talking literally 5 metres apart, I would've thought strength would be more than 75%.

I am also experiencing problems sending and receiving files on MIRC, even when I have checked the port range in MIRC > Options > Advanced and have configured it on my setup area, I also have problems sending and receiving files on MSN as well as having voice communications on MSN.

Please can someone help me resolve the issues? It's driving me crazy, I've spent a heck of a lot of money and currently for my PC in my room where I'd use it a hell of a lot more than my sister would use her's I am not getting the performance I should be getting

Thanks very much guys.
Simcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2005, 08:04   #2
Simcut
Inactive

Simcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about them
Unhappy Re: Problem with MIRC and MSN on new router, please help

Also no matter how I reposition the router and the antenna on the PCI card I cant get a signal of any more than 69%, its driving me crazy its causing poor quality connection and there is only 5/6 metres seperating the 2 PC's - wtf
Old 09-01-2005, 09:19   #3
mixteus
Inactive

mixteus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Problem with MIRC and MSN on new router, please help

Morning Simcut,

It sounds like you need to open some ports for Mirc and MSN or if the Router uses UPNP make sure it is enabled on the router.

I have a wireless connection sometimes signal strength weakens even to the point of a 1mbit connection, however I still manage to receive/transmit.

I solved my headaches early on by updating the firmware and then enabling WPA encryption on my laptop,this was downloaded from windows update.

I am sorry I cannot be more specific but I am not very familiar with the USR product.

Question, how is your sisters PC connected to the router wireless or ethernet?
mixteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:53   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Morning Simcut,

I've had a few problems which are similar to yours but with a different router.

My problems with signal strength were down to intereference being picked up on the default channel on the router. After I changed the chanel I got a much better signal / reception.

Have a look at the documentation that came with it (or at the user control panel) and see if you can find what channel it is on and then change the channel so that it is the one furthest from the default channel. ie if your current (default) channel is 8 and the range is 1 - 11 then move to channel 1.
You might have to do this a couple of times until you find the best channel for you.

Unfortunately there are all sorts of things that can cause this: microwaves, cordless phones etc. The only way to try and sort it out is by trial and error really.

AsAs far as the file sending thing is concerned I would agree with mixteus, sounds like a firewall problem to me. I take it that these functions work ok when the PC is hard-wired to the router and not on the wireless connection?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:54   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Forgot to mention that each time you change the channel you will need to reboot both router and PC (in that order) to reinitialise the connection between the two.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 00:27   #6
Simcut
Inactive

ah well, I gave up on it for now...drove me mental that did
Old 11-01-2005, 08:44   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

If you are an Avid gamer, I seriously recommend you get some CAT5 and run it along the skirting board then because Wireless is absolutely terrible for online gaming when the signal strength gets below 90% as the packet loss and overheads on the protocol gets to be huge.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:34   #8
Simcut
Inactive

yeah mate, I think I'll definetly have to go the "wired" way, I guess it was worth a go with Wireless but it didnt work at all well for me and I just saw how bad the performance was on my machine that was linked via the router.

The problem I have is, picture this, the back of my house, the room in the back left corner of the house upstairs is my sister's room, outside of her room to the left of the house is the cable modem point that leads into my sister's room. Then in the middle area of the back fo the house is a bathroom and in the back right corner is my room, I do not want to drill through my bathroom to get a lead through, what options do I have? drill outside and feed the cable outside?

Thanks for your help on this guys.