Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | d-link wireless router problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

d-link wireless router problems

Old 30-12-2004, 23:04   #1
joanne.mooney
Inactive

joanne.mooney is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry d-link wireless router problems

I have previously been using a Belkin wired router and wanted to swap to wireless so I can move the PC downstairs....I bought a refurbished d-link DI-524 airplus g....I have tried to connect it and it picks up the IP address okay but wont connect to the internet..I was trying on just the one PC wired but teh status light on router doesnt come one....does anyone know if it should....Please help I'm at a loss
joanne.mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2004, 23:24   #2
gkhewitt
Inactive

gkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enough
Re: d-link wireless router problems

Does the router have some sort of webbased administration tool?

The default is often 192.168.0.1 so if you fire up a webbrowser on any computer on your network (assuming that your wireless router is plugged in and connected by wire to a computer) and goto http://192.168.0.1 then you'll get an administration page, since you'll need to edit settings to get it to work.

If this doesn't work, then try pinging it. Open up a command prompt (start-> run -> CMD in windows XP, start -> run -> command in 98/ME) and type ping 192.168.0.1. You should get some replies if it's up and working.

If your wired router is plugged in at the same time, then there might be a conflict since they both might be setup to use 192.168.0.1 as their LAN IP address. Try unplugging the wired router and then try the above again.

If all this fails, then it might be a dud unit and should be sent back from whence it came!

Post back here with your results...
gkhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2004, 23:28   #3
joanne.mooney
Inactive

joanne.mooney is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your reply..
I couldnt get the administration page....when I checked my ip address it was showing as 192.168.0.1..
My wired router was unplugged but the status light on the wireless was off all the time
joanne.mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 09:52   #4
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

If you've changed the router then you've changed the 'PC' that the cable modem thinks it's talking to.

If you have a stand alone cable modem (SACM) then all you need to do is power it off and then on again. But, if you access the internet through a set top box (STB), then you'll have to go through the process of re-registering the new device.

More details here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...tips/swap.html
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 10:24   #5
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

1) Do the WAN and LAN lights come on? The WAN light indicates a connection to your modem or STB. You should have a LAN light on the port to which your PC is connected. When you say 'your' IP address is showing as 192.168.0.1, do you mean the IP address of your PC? If so, and assuming yor PC is correctly set up to obtain an IP address automatically, it sounds like the default settings on the router have been changed, as 192.168.0.1 is the default address of the router itself. It might be worth a 'reset to factory settings', so you have a known starting point. (If your PC is configured with an IP address of 192.168.0.1, rather than being set to obtain address automatically, it may be conflicting with the router address.
If you did not get a manual with your (refurbished) kit, you can download one from here:-

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=316
Old 31-12-2004, 15:16   #6
gkhewitt
Inactive

gkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enough

Well, if your PC is set to 192.168.0.1 then you'll probably be having conflicts since these routers usually default themselves to 192.168.0.1

Change your PC to 192.168.0.5 or something other than .1 and do a factory reset of the wireless router just for good measure.

Then you can begin following instructions as laid out in the quickstart guide, or the manual.

HTH
gkhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote