Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can't Get Internet Access From Wireless Router NTL Broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can't Get Internet Access From Wireless Router NTL Broadband

Old 30-01-2005, 00:07   #1
outlawridah
Inactive

outlawridah is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't Get Internet Access From Wireless Router NTL Broadband

DESKTOP: WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL
LAPTOP: WINDOWS XP HOME WITH SERVICE PACK 2 PREINSTALLED

I have a WRT54GS linksys router connected to ntl:home modem on windoss xp professional PC, i am recieving internet access on the host PC.

I also have a linksys wireless adaptor on a laptop PC for wireless connection. The laptop picks up the wireless connection but cannot get internet access.
When I ping the IP address of the router on laptop it recieves all packets, also when i ping the IP address assigned to the laptop from the wireless connection it also recieves all packets. However no websites can be accessed or pinged, internet access is not available.

Will this be something to do with the setup of the router? As certain ISP settings apply for NTL, but I'm not aware of these, any one aware of the settings for NTL for example is it static IP, or automatic DHCP, and what are the DNS servers etc and other info that is needed. Do I need to port forward for internet access what is the standards in this?

Thanks for any help in advance.
outlawridah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2005, 00:24   #2
homealone

Re: Can't Get Internet Access From Wireless Router NTL Broadband

hello

- how many questions do you want to ask at once

ntl is not configuired for static ip , unless you have a business account.

the router should be set up as the dhcp server and 'obtain an IP automatically'

you shouldn't need to port forward, or reassign dns on a standard installation
Old 30-01-2005, 00:35   #3
nash
Inactive

nash will become famous soon enoughnash will become famous soon enoughnash will become famous soon enough

Hi,

i would say the settings on the router are correct, as you can access the web on the host PC.
Maybe you need to look at the network settings within the laptop, also check the xp firewall, which is enabled by default i think.
Have you set up any security within the wireless router settings? WEP, etc.

mick
nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 08:39   #4
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

1) The router should be connected to the cable modem via the WAN port.
2) The desktop should be connected to the router via one of the LAN ports.
3) The router should be configured to obtain the WAN settings automatically (i.e. via DHCP). This will pick up the required DNS settings, etc.
4) The router should be configured as a DHCP server, to provide addresses to the desktop and laptop.
5) The desktop and laptop should both be configured to obtain addresses automatically, i.e. via DHCP from the router.

HTH
Old 30-01-2005, 08:52   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

A common mistake with this sort of setup is to connect the CM lead into one of the network ports on the router, you will normally find that there is a specific port on the back of the router for you to connect your CM to.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 12:15   #6
outlawridah
Inactive

Thanks alot for all your replies so quick.

I have the automatic configuration - DHCP enabled as the internet configuration, and 'obtain IP address automatically' on both the host and laptop computers.

I haven't forwarded any ports or reassigned DNS as of right now.

XP firewall disabled on both computers.
I have however enabled the router firewall - to block anonymous internet requests, filter multicasts and filter ident port 113 which was Default settings.

Security settings I have set on the router is 128 encryption, which means I have to key in the pass on the laptop with settings: 'open' connection type, 'WEP' enabled I have also unselected the tick box 'key is provided automatically' in the wireless connection settings.

I am aware that points 1-3 are correct, however unsure on these points
4) The router should be configured as a DHCP server, to provide addresses to the desktop and laptop.
I have selected automatic DHCP confiuration in router settings

5) The desktop and laptop should both be configured to obtain addresses automatically, i.e. via DHCP from the router.
I have selected 'obtain IP address automatically' and 'obtain DNS automatically' on both the host and laptop connection properties.

I have the cable modem connected to the 'internet' port of the router and the desktop in port 4. The desktop is only PC connected to the router.
Old 30-01-2005, 13:08   #7
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Can you go into command prompt and type

ipconfig /all

and post the results?
(It should only display local details such as 192.168.xxx.xxx ip addrssses, but if it displays anything else, blank out the last two parts of IP addreses before posting, for security)

[edit] Do this from both the desktop and the laptop.
Old 30-01-2005, 15:19   #8
hairy_mick
Inactive

hairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about them

I have a simular problem with action tec router if i put on wep my laptop cant surf the web even with the key but my ipac can get on the web with same key must be a setting somewhere on the lap top
hairy_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 20:35   #9
outlawridah
Inactive

Turns out I have internet connection after all when I installed MOZILLA and tried that instead of internet explorer, seems to be a problem with the internet explorer on the laptop I guess its something to do with ths service pack 2 which I will look to uninstall.

But I can't sign into MIRC using the laptop, why is this? it says something about identd

How do i share files etc. across the wirless network?
Old 30-01-2005, 20:49   #10
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

You've probably got a proxy configured for IE on the notebook (for work?) All the IP settings look OK.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 10:55   #11
outlawridah
Inactive

Thanks alot for the suggestion of proxy server, for some reason it was enabled in the internet options. I have now disabled it and internet explorer works.

However there remain some other problems, The wireless connection keeps disconnecting every 10 minutes or so. What could be the reason or this,
also software such as mirc etc and filesharing prorgrams cant seem to 'connect' from the laptop (not host).
Old 01-02-2005, 19:23   #12
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

File sharing will definitely need port forwarding enabled to the IP address of your notebook:
TCP 6699 and UDP 6257

Dropping could be a poor signal, or old drivers. Try upgrading the drivers first, the early ones were flaky. You could also be getting interference from other things like a cordless phone or microwave.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote