Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HomePlug problems when PC & Adaptor in same wall socket

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

HomePlug problems when PC & Adaptor in same wall socket

Old 27-08-2012, 14:41   #1
stewarth
Inactive

Services: 60MB Broadband TV (L) TiVo Phone (XL)
stewarth is an unknown quantity at this point
HomePlug problems when PC & Adaptor in same wall socket

Hi,

I have a homeplug network set up with a pair of TP-Link PA211's. They were working fine until we moved the PC to a different room - the network more or less stopped working (upload OK, but download more or less non-existent).

I tried connecting the homeplug into a different socket (actually not on the same ring) and it started working (even though it was plugged into an extension lead).

So i figured maybe it was the wall socket.

I just replaced the face-plate on the wall socket & it seemed to work (had my laptop plugged into it & nice & fast). But when i plugged the PC into the same socket, the connection died again.

Various configurations later it seems certain that the PC itself is killing the signal.

What is weird is that it worked OK in a different room...

It looks like the PC is generating noise on electrical line which is causing poor performance. I have tried plugging PC into a surge protected strip (NOT the powerline adaptor), but no change.

Do you have any suggestions - e.g. a specific type of surge protector to use etc. - i dont know if the one I have tried has got any EMI/RFI filter - would this make any difference - i.e. would it reduce any interference coming out of the PC, or does it only do it in the other direction?

This is a new PC build with good quality components.

I've currently gone back to trailing an extension lead into the room & plugging the home-plug into that, with the PC in the room's wall socket.

Thanks.
stewarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2012, 16:39   #2
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts
Re: HomePlug problems when PC & Adaptor in same wall socket

Do you have different ring mains for your sockets? I've found in the past that this sort of device only works well if the sockets are on the same ring.
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 16:49   #3
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Your PC has mains noise suppression filters in its power supply. These will shunt noise and high frequency signals (which is what the HomePlug uses).
This will have less of an effect the further the PC filters are away from the source (HomePlug) due to inductance in the mains cabling. The reactance increases with distance and you ideally need a large amount of reactance between both devices.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 19:35   #4
Xtinguish
Inactive

Services: 100 meg Super Hub2 4TB HD
Xtinguish is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with my TP Link homeplugs, so I have now got the homeplug directly into the wall socket and the pc etc. plugged into a 3 metre surge protected extension lead.
Xtinguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 20:32   #5
stewarth
Inactive

Services: 60MB Broadband TV (L) TiVo Phone (XL)
stewarth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtinguish View Post
I had the same problem with my TP Link homeplugs, so I have now got the homeplug directly into the wall socket and the pc etc. plugged into a 3 metre surge protected extension lead.
Thanks - I'll get a decent surge lead & give it a go. Should probably have one anyway.

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Do you have different ring mains for your sockets? I've found in the past that this sort of device only works well if the sockets are on the same ring.
The two adapters are on different rings (one upstairs one down) & worked fine in one bedroom, when we moved the PC the other bedroom it stopped working properly.

I have just had a look at the socket in the room where it worked fine & that socket is on a ring circuit, whereas in the new room the socket is a spur.

Do you think that being on a spur might cause problems?

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
Your PC has mains noise suppression filters in its power supply. These will shunt noise and high frequency signals (which is what the HomePlug uses).
This will have less of an effect the further the PC filters are away from the source (HomePlug) due to inductance in the mains cabling. The reactance increases with distance and you ideally need a large amount of reactance between both devices.

I have just had a look at the socket in the room where it worked fine & that socket is on a ring circuit, whereas in the new room the socket is a spur.

Do you think that being on a spur might cause problems?
stewarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 21:19   #6
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Being on a spur shouldn't make a difference
progers is offline   Reply With Quote