Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2018 price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

2018 price rises

Old 15-08-2018, 17:31   #31
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: 2018 price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
Would be nice to know for VIP
£129 it's advertised at.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2018, 17:34   #32
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
That will help a few people on here to get out of their contracts they are locked in.
Hardly, most contracts are usually priced in when it comes to marginal increases / RPI adjustments etc. In fact, it is usually stated at the beginning of a contract period / re-contracting whether the prices will stay frozen or not.

If it is not explicitly stated as such, prices usually are fine to increase at whatever rate - you are bound to remain in contract. Not bound to remain in contract at that price, unless they specify as much.
Chloé Palmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:48   #33
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post
Hardly, most contracts are usually priced in when it comes to marginal increases / RPI adjustments etc. In fact, it is usually stated at the beginning of a contract period / re-contracting whether the prices will stay frozen or not.

If it is not explicitly stated as such, prices usually are fine to increase at whatever rate - you are bound to remain in contract. Not bound to remain in contract at that price, unless they specify as much.
If people's prices rise mid contract they are entitled to leave penalty free.
It's easily done with the likes of Virgin Media and Sky etc, but you can't do the same thing with mobile phone contracts.

See here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-increase/amp/
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:49   #34
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
£129 it's advertised at.
So no change for VIP.
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:55   #35
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
If people's prices rise mid contract they are entitled to leave penalty free.
It's easily done with the likes of Virgin Media and Sky etc, but you can't do the same thing with mobile phone contracts.

See here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-increase/amp/
I suppose that is why my husband keeps getting offers to "re-contract" for like 12 to 18 months, and they agree to freeze the price...

With phones though, they state that within the original 18 to 24 month contract the price remains frozen except for the annual RPI change so it really works out the same difference.
Old 15-08-2018, 18:01   #36
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Damn £4 a month increase for me thats a bit naff. Be interesting to see where all these £3/£4 additional payments go. I'm sure my pack went up about £3 already this year thats a £7 rise in 2018. We are talking Millions gained this year from just the price rises.

Its a shame you couldn't pay per channel you wanted would probably save a lot of money I probably only watch around a mix of 30 channels.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 18:07   #37
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
I suppose that is why my husband keeps getting offers to "re-contract" for like 12 to 18 months, and they agree to freeze the price...

With phones though, they state that within the original 18 to 24 month contract the price remains frozen except for the annual RPI change so it really works out the same difference.
Yes, that sounds right to me.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
Damn £4 a month increase for me thats a bit naff. Be interesting to see where all these £3/£4 additional payments go. I'm sure my pack went up about £3 already this year thats a £7 rise in 2018. We are talking Millions gained this year from just the price rises.

Its a shame you couldn't pay per channel you wanted would probably save a lot of money I probably only watch around a mix of 30 channels.
Perfect opportunity to ring them up and play your face. I ring them up every year when there's a price increase and always say I'm leaving. They usually cover the increase or at least most of it and usually for 18 months as well.
Old 15-08-2018, 18:15   #38
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
So no change for VIP.
VIP is currently priced at £125, so a £4 increase.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 18:20   #39
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

One thing where new customers do seem to be slightly better off is that they avoid the 20 upfront for activation, which is good, right?

Though a minimum of 3 to 4 extra every month and I guess they would rather have the activation fee.
Old 15-08-2018, 18:39   #40
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yeah I just don't get how Virgin stay afloat on the TV side...I get that their broadband side is profitable and they have far better speeds than everyone else on an 80/20 system but on phone and TV offers they get crushed by Sky on price and content every which way.
According to Virgin, their TV, phone, broadband and mobile services are all profitable with Virgin TV enjoying similar margins to Sky TV (minus Sky premiums). They do not get crushed by Sky, BT, TalkTalk, Freeview, Freesat, Youview or anyone else which is why in Q2 they enjoyed record TV growth and in new build areas have so far (and at an early stage) taken 280,000 customers (representing over over 650,000 BB, TV & phone RGUs) from their rivals. TV is the product that gels the bundle and they remain the market leader for both broadband and traditional pay tv (subscription numbers) in their addressable areas.
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 18:47   #41
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
VIP is currently priced at £125, so a £4 increase.
And with the inevitable movies and sports rise from Sky you are probably looking at a yearly rise of around £10. Time for a Now TV season pass and drop of the TV from Virgin, just not worth the money anymore
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 18:53   #42
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchain
According to Virgin, their TV, phone, broadband and mobile services are all profitable with Virgin TV enjoying similar margins to Sky TV (minus Sky premiums). They do not get crushed by Sky, BT, TalkTalk, Freeview, Freesat, Youview or anyone else which is why in Q2 they enjoyed record TV growth and in new build areas have so far (and at an early stage) taken 280,000 customers (representing over over 650,000 BB, TV & phone RGUs) from their rivals. TV is the product that gels the bundle and they remain the market leader for both broadband and traditional pay tv (subscription numbers) in their addressable areas.
That's exactly what I mean...parts of the bundle clearly are loss making so I am wondering how much they offset that with revenue additions from broadband etc.

Sky could lease out Sky sports to Virgin at such a rate that they had choice but to set the package at a certain cost to make it profitable. Sky then (presumably) discount it some for their own Sky customers undercutting Virgin who pay whatever Sky set as the price for their main networks. (Sports etc).

It doesn't work the other way round - Sky don't pay for any VM channels, do they?
Old 15-08-2018, 19:56   #43
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Here's a breakdown of the rise

Broadband-only – up to £3/mth.
Broadband and line rental – up to £3/mth.
The Player bundle – by £3/mth.
The Mix and Fun bundles – by £3.50/mth.
The Full House bundle – by £4/mth.

Anyone who joined after August 1st won't have a rise as it was already implemented for new customers
Seems a lot more than the £2.20 plus VAT average rise that VM are claiming. How they fiddled the average rise for their media releases always was a mystery
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 20:49   #44
tvtimes
Inactive

Quote:
That's exactly what I mean...parts of the bundle clearly are loss making so I am wondering how much they offset that with revenue additions from broadband etc.

Sky could lease out Sky sports to Virgin at such a rate that they had choice but to set the package at a certain cost to make it profitable. Sky then (presumably) discount it some for their own Sky customers undercutting Virgin who pay whatever Sky set as the price for their main networks. (Sports etc).

It doesn't work the other way round - Sky don't pay for any VM channels, do they?
Sky can not do that that. They are regulated by Ofcom to prevent them abusing their monopoly in the same way BT are.
Old 15-08-2018, 20:56   #45
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Huh...I never knew.

Must be rather coincidental that they keep offering cut price programing that they own the rights to though that may also be as my husband has been a customer for like 13 years now.

Thanks for the info - certainly explains how VM break even.

If Sky wanted to be cruel I suppose that they could just refuse to sell the rights of their network? They would lose the money they earn from VM though.

(Are you sure that they are prevented from doing so when it is not a case of hardware though? To provide the service for phone and broadband, Sky and others have to use BT's firm / hardware. It is not the same for Virgin as Sky has no monopoly at all).