Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 01-05-2018, 17:44   #1981
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Just finished the update on my wife's laptop, a couple of minor glitches since the Homegroup has been removed.

My main desktop PC is connected to the router via ethernet, printer via usb to same PC.

I can still print from the laptop perfectly and if I open Network in File Explorer on the main PC I can see her laptop and access all the shared folders etc.

However if I open Network on the laptop I cannot see the main PC but for some strange reason can see the Media Device on that PC.

Also getting a weird pop up when rebooting, the spelling of 'Informaiton' is a bit strange on this????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warning.jpg (17.0 KB, 26 views)
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2018, 20:06   #1982
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Just installed the update, no issues so far.
Old 01-05-2018, 22:47   #1983
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
Just finished the update on my wife's laptop, a couple of minor glitches since the Homegroup has been removed.

My main desktop PC is connected to the router via ethernet, printer via usb to same PC.

I can still print from the laptop perfectly and if I open Network in File Explorer on the main PC I can see her laptop and access all the shared folders etc.

However if I open Network on the laptop I cannot see the main PC but for some strange reason can see the Media Device on that PC.

Also getting a weird pop up when rebooting, the spelling of 'Informaiton' is a bit strange on this????
i'd run malware bytes, spybot etc to see if something is not right, could be a typo in some legitmate free software or something else.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:42   #1984
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Did mine last night, was late so after first reboot I switched off the screen and went to bed.
Woke to a ‘ something went wrong ‘ message this morning. OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE.

It was just the multiple permissions screen, retried it and all’s well.
l updated earlier yesterday but did not restart until later last night and that took about 2 hours all told so l had a nap and then woke up and it was all finished.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:24   #1985
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
i'd run malware bytes, spybot etc to see if something is not right, could be a typo in some legitmate free software or something else.
Malwarebytes Premium is normally installed on both PC’s but for some reason ( apparently a known occurrence ) Malwarebytes had vanished from her laptop. I reinstalled it and did a full scan before I did the Win 10 update. That pop up has stopped since I removed all of those spurious games.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:24   #1986
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Not here yet - most updates (cumulative) fail with 0x800706be so I have to download the file and apply manually. This works. Will try some fixes again while there are no pending updates.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:11   #1987
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Bit of a disaster this morning, the main desktop PC is running fine but the laptop has more or less frozen.

Takes forever to boot up then nothing will run correctly, trying to open any program takes several minutes or longer. Tried to open Task Manager to see if there was anything in there, that took ages to open but when it eventually did there was nothing obviously maxing out the CPU.

I tried to run Malwarebytes but that stalled for five minutes checking for updates before I cancelled it.

Is it possible to roll back this update?
Old 02-05-2018, 12:25   #1988
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

mmm I'm still not seeing any compelling reason to try Win 10 at this point. Still seems to be a crock
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 15:25   #1989
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

What an absolute PITA.

Eventually got the laptop working correctly again.

After waiting about ten minutes I finally got the Event Viewer to load and it eventually displayed the error logs. Lots of DCOM 10010 and 10016 errors reported.

Did a scan with SeaTools for Windows which was clean.

Finally bit the bullet and using the Update and Security/Recovery options rolled the PC back to the previous version of Windows and it is now back to normal.
Old 02-05-2018, 20:23   #1990
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
What an absolute PITA.

Eventually got the laptop working correctly again.

After waiting about ten minutes I finally got the Event Viewer to load and it eventually displayed the error logs. Lots of DCOM 10010 and 10016 errors reported.

Did a scan with SeaTools for Windows which was clean.

Finally bit the bullet and using the Update and Security/Recovery options rolled the PC back to the previous version of Windows and it is now back to normal.
You can't stay there forever, i don't recommend it anyway, give it a while and try again after waiting to see if others have a similar problem.

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Strange problem for my desktop since updating Windows 10.

Powering off from the start menu shuts the PC down like normal but when i try and start it again by pressing the power button nothing happens, so i have to switch the power supply switch off on the back for 30 seconds to make the power button work again.

If i power it down by pressing the power button i can then start it again by pressing the power button, i don't use sleep or hibernation so i am well confused....

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

So after it not working 20 odd times from my testing, i put it into sleep mode and since then shutting it down has worked several times on the trot, so not sure if i still have an issue or not.
Old 02-05-2018, 20:38   #1991
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

The annoying thing is my desktop is over two years old but we have only had this laptop six months.

The Win 10 on my desktop was an upgrade from Win 7 Pro but the laptop came with Win 10 pre installed.
Old 02-05-2018, 21:22   #1992
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Did mine last night, was late so after first reboot I switched off the screen and went to bed.
Woke to a ‘ something went wrong ‘ message this morning. OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE.

It was just the multiple permissions screen, retried it and all’s well.
I would never ever abandon the PC like that during an installation, this update asks you questions about privacy and things you need to click during the install, so maybe you just need to give it another go and wait for it?

I would advise having an upto date system restore point incase it goes tits up properly, not sure if it would let you use it though with such a huge update, also try disabling antivirus before updating.
Old 02-05-2018, 21:39   #1993
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

That was the desktop PC which has been fine, the privacy questions waited for me in the morning before second restart.

The PC that has given all the problems was a different one that I sat with throughout the install the day after.

So, the one I left to it's own devices is fine, the one I monitored all the way through has failed miserably.

Last edited by iadom; 02-05-2018 at 22:16.
Old 10-05-2018, 15:41   #1994
gulf4uk
Annette stevenson

Services: Broadband 200mg digital tv .XL Tv package : Phone . win 10 win XP (Favourite)
gulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about them

installed today on this and my Laptop no Problems,
Had to answer the 20 Questions bit (no phone a friend) answered NO to all but it ignored that so went into Settings and checked them.
Homegroup removed ? eh WHY? This update complete waste of time.
gulf4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 16:34   #1995
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

I did contact the suppliers of the laptop ( Novatech ) and they confirmed they had received several reports of similar problems to mine with the 1803 update.

Only thing they could suggest is a full, clean install of Windows or allow the install to go ahead then use the reset Windows function in the update.

Potentially a complete loss of data so full backup needed before proceeding.

Laptop is running fine as it is so will leave it alone for now.