Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Should atheism be taught along side religious studies in schools?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Should atheism be taught along side religious studies in schools?

Old 10-09-2018, 13:16   #31
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Should atheism be taught along side religious studies in schools?

Most teaching in schools is secular, even blindly so. Even when some faith position is taught it is often done so "badly" it may as well be secular.

My kids school RE is mostly "christian" with some "islam". The local 6th form has a syllabus focussed on "buddhism". (small letters deliberate - I know their teaching on the Christian faith is very different from what I call Christianity - guessing the same is true for other faiths.

I don't want my kid's faith to be destroyed by "the system", and I'm guessing that's true for others too, even secularists but they seem to want to control things so that their "no faith" position is the only one allowed.
Old 10-09-2018, 14:36   #32
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...-diverse-world

What are people’s views on this? Should atheism be taught in an equal measure in schools?
Atheism should always be discussed as it is the default condition. We are all born as Atheists. Some of us choose to become Theists or Deists and some of us has these beliefs forced on them during childhood.

Also, Faith Schools should be banned from the public sector. Taxpayers should not be made to pay for this:

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The Bible doesn’t try to prove God exists, any more than a Haynes manual attempts to prove the existence of your car. Both books make certain assumptions and proceed from there.

If you get stuck on trying to agree or disagree over cosmology you’re not going to get very far and you’re certainly not ever going to understand why a religion like Christianity exists and what the consequences of its existence are for believers and the world.

Religious studies, remember, are there to study the religion and its consequences. If you want to contemplate God, then you want theology (which is the term used by Christians at any rate ... you can study the concept of God in an Islamic or Hindu context also, doubtless they have their own terms for that).
The Bible cannot, by definition, attempt to prove the existence of God. Religion mandates Faith without proof. If you could prove God exists, you would no longer need Faith.

The Haynes manual requires no faith in the existence of the car it is documenting. Rather it's aim is to document the existence of the vehicle in so much detail that to any fair minded person, the probability of the document being a work of fiction is so low as to be ignored.

It also provides to the (rare) individual that believes that the car has never existed, information & detail that can be independently verified in alternate knowledge centres. For example, you can search for the specific engine part number and discover that the part does in deed fit the car in question.

Last edited by ianch99; 10-09-2018 at 14:21.
ianch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 16:06   #33
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I think for some athiests, atheism almost *is* a religion, just with no defined deity (although some seem to worship Richard Dawkins as if he is one). They certainly show a lot of the piousness they say that religious people show.

Personally, I don't believe in God. I believe something created us, but I don't define that thing as a God, in fact I am not sure I can define it. I am unsure if it still exists.

Do I think Religion causes wars? No. I believe it's an excuse. I believe the Human race would have wars and just use another excuse should Religion just vanish.

Do I think RE is a good thing. Yes, if it's taught correctly. It shouldn't be just telling people about a particular religion, or how good a given deity is. It should be teaching people the basis of all belief systems (I even count atheism as a belief system). It should also teach people how to look at things critically, but fairly.

Regardless of which religion you believe in, and even if you are an atheist, people may not believe the same things as you. Understanding those beliefs, and the basis for them helps in breaking down barriers between people. Something I think that especially now, the human race needs to happen.
Old 10-09-2018, 16:41   #34
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Also, Faith Schools should be banned from the public sector. Taxpayers should not be made to pay for this
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 19:30   #35
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

The only thing that created us was physics, chemistry, biology and shear luck...
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 20:44   #36
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
The only thing that created us was physics, chemistry, biology and shear luck...
So 4 things. The only 4 things that created us were physics, chemistry, biology and shear luck. And time.... 5 things!! The only 5 things that created us were physics, chemistry, biology, shear luck and time. And evolution... 6 things!! Wait, wait, wait... Let’s go out and start again...
Old 10-09-2018, 20:52   #37
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Should atheism be taugh along side religious studies in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
There’s no point. Stop now.

You cannot argue with a person of faith
, likewise a person of faith cannot argue with someone that is not a person of faith.

It will decend into a slanging match about religion and just end there.
You're right - though his argument was full of holes!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 21:11   #38
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Relegion should only be taught in churches etc.

Should should only teach the basics and to respect peoples beliefs, regardless of their own.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:19   #39
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Relegion should only be taught in churches etc.

Should should only teach the basics and to respect peoples beliefs, regardless of their own.
Exactly. Preferably tied up with human rights and equality and diversity legislation as they go along.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:09   #40
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Exactly. Preferably tied up with human rights and equality and diversity legislation as they go along.
Tricky. Human rights and equality and diversity legislation are in short supply in the Religious texts and when you get the people who follow these texts literally, they really go out of the window.
Old 11-09-2018, 16:27   #41
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Tricky. Human rights and equality and diversity legislation are in short supply in the Religious texts and when you get the people who follow these texts literally, they really go out of the window.
Did you know (no, you didn’t, but hey), that women have held office in the Baptist Church since the 1620s and the first fully accredited female Baptist minister began serving in the 1920s? Within the Reformation it was Baptists who argued, were pilloried, jailed and executed, for insisting on freedom of religion, including the freedom to have no religion at all.

I think you might be surprised at what is actually in the Bible, as opposed to what powerful people have chosen to present as Biblical in order to arrange society to suit themselves.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 16:57   #42
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Which is why they should be included.

Far too easy for fundamentalists to fall back on "but X says Y is wrong" or "A dictates how B should be treated", then use belief as an excuse to act in a way that is anti human rights and equality.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:08   #43
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
My kids school RE is mostly "christian" with some "islam". The local 6th form has a syllabus focussed on "buddhism". (small letters deliberate - I know their teaching on the Christian faith is very different from what I call Christianity - guessing the same is true for other faiths.

I've said this a few times over the years, but I had two RE teachers at school. I had an Irish Catholic RE teacher for four years, who basically taught us that Catholocism and Christianity are good, everything else is bad or unimportant.

Then, he left (retired I think) and a younger, Jewish RE teacher took over. He taught us about all of the major world religions. He taught the history behind the beliefs, and also taught us to question what we are told (a good rule for life beyond RE and something I still do). We even had a whole lesson discussing whether we thought Jesus was homosexual (IIRC we came to the conclusion that while there was no evidence in the Bible that Jesus had a sexual attraction to anyone, he probably leaned that way), which I can't imagine my other RE teacher even allowing.

Now, I know my second teacher's niece (she is a friend of my sister) and apparently he is extremely religious, and was when he was teaching me. He still taught us to question religion though. He also continually drummed in to use that it was important we found our own beliefs. If we chose to believe a given religion, that was good. If we chose to believe in Atheism, that was good also. If we chose not to believe in Religion, that was good.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 15:21   #44
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Did you know (no, you didn’t, but hey), that women have held office in the Baptist Church since the 1620s and the first fully accredited female Baptist minister began serving in the 1920s? Within the Reformation it was Baptists who argued, were pilloried, jailed and executed, for insisting on freedom of religion, including the freedom to have no religion at all.

I think you might be surprised at what is actually in the Bible, as opposed to what powerful people have chosen to present as Biblical in order to arrange society to suit themselves.
What with the snide remarks? Totally unnecessary.

I confess, I am not up-to-date with the detailed 500 year history of the Baptist church. While I am at it, I also not up-to-date with the historical details of:

Lutheranism
Methodism
Calvinism
Continental Reformed church
Anabaptism
Hussites
Quakers
Pentecostalism
Nondenominational Christianity
African initiated Protestant churches
Seventh-day Adventist Church
New Apostolic Church
Restoration Movement
Anglicanism
Eastern Orthodox Church
Oriental Orthodoxy
Mormonism
Jehovah's Witnesses
Oneness Pentecostalism
Catholic Church
Independent Catholicism
Nestorian Church
Messianic Judaism

The fact that you are congratulating the Baptist Church for supporting the freedom to have no religion at all, I feel proves the points being made. Celebrating the right to not have religion forced upon you ... no more needs to be said on this point.

I would not be surprised at what you would find in the Bible since it provides legitimacy for many of the crimes carried out in the name of religion over the centuries.

Saying that these crimes are more the fault of "powerful people" than the religious texts underwriting the motivation & justification is just factually inaccurate.

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I've said this a few times over the years, but I had two RE teachers at school. I had an Irish Catholic RE teacher for four years, who basically taught us that Catholocism and Christianity are good, everything else is bad or unimportant.

Then, he left (retired I think) and a younger, Jewish RE teacher took over. He taught us about all of the major world religions. He taught the history behind the beliefs, and also taught us to question what we are told (a good rule for life beyond RE and something I still do). We even had a whole lesson discussing whether we thought Jesus was homosexual (IIRC we came to the conclusion that while there was no evidence in the Bible that Jesus had a sexual attraction to anyone, he probably leaned that way), which I can't imagine my other RE teacher even allowing.

Now, I know my second teacher's niece (she is a friend of my sister) and apparently he is extremely religious, and was when he was teaching me. He still taught us to question religion though. He also continually drummed in to use that it was important we found our own beliefs. If we chose to believe a given religion, that was good. If we chose to believe in Atheism, that was good also. If we chose not to believe in Religion, that was good.
Atheism is not a belief system, rather it is the lack of belief. Everyone is born an Atheist, by definition.

Atheism

Quote:
Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities