Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hub 3 - Yeh or Neh?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hub 3 - Yeh or Neh?

Old 13-05-2018, 22:50   #1
Dean B
Inactive

Services: V.I.P
Dean B is an unknown quantity at this point
Hub 3 - Yeh or Neh?

Hi all,

I've been offered for the princely sum of £2.79 extra per month, the addition of Sky Cinema and VIVID 350. I'm currently on 150 with Sky Sports.

I've watched the numerous YT videos on the Hub 3 and it's many shortcomings. I'll be using it in modem mode with my Linksys router so I know I can forget a lot of them but i'm still worried about it's stability - does it need to be rebooted regularly, overheating issue, upgraded cables needed? I need a stable net / wi-fi connection to run my devices which help me considerably with my disability.

After having contention problems i've had a steady reliable connection for some time. Will switching to this new server, as i assume I will have to, drop me straight into an over subscribed service with speeds half of what i'm getting at present. The VM Community forums have lots of posts with just this outcome. Annoyingly I can't find anyone from where I live - Bedford.

Advice greatly welcomed.

-Dean.
Dean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2018, 23:50   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Hub 3 - Yeh or Neh?

You wont be switching to any new server, you will stay on the same UBR with a different speed tier and potentially more bonded channels.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 13:18   #3
Dean B
Inactive

Services: V.I.P
Dean B is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
..and potentially more bonded channels.
Is this good or bad?
Dean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 14:09   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

It's certainly not bad. More bonded channels = load spread more evenly.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 14:36   #5
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

I've been using the Hub 3 since it was introduced and have no issues with it.
As you are going on the 350 tier, you "should" get the latest firmware 603 which, on the surface, seems to fix the issues that plague the 116 firmware.
As for your location, sorry I can't help with that one, you'll just have to take the gamble. But as you have more channels, this should help if necessary.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 17:14   #6
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Your TBB graph (if you have one) will look awful but it's largely benign.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 17:17   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Your TBB graph (if you have one) will look awful but it's largely benign.

With the latest firmware the graph looks the same as it used to.
Old 16-05-2018, 13:32   #8
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I'm still waiting for that
Old 16-05-2018, 15:52   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm still waiting for that

Everyone is meant to have that by now i think, although i could be wrong but it happened months ago.
Old 16-05-2018, 16:08   #10
Kushan

I was supposed to be on the trial and never got it:

Old 16-05-2018, 16:31   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:

I would get it sorted on the main forum if i was you, assuming you haven't rebooted it yet.
Old 16-05-2018, 16:42   #12
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I would get it sorted on the main forum if i was you, assuming you haven't rebooted it yet.
Are you sure about advising an ex CS Call Centre agent to reboot their hub????

Sorry Kush, couldn't resist,
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 16:50   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Are you sure about advising an ex CS Call Centre agent to reboot their hub????

Sorry Kush, couldn't resist,

Lol yes i know, but i am surprised he hasn't got the update as i think it is on general release now and based on his post stating 'it will look awful' suggested he wasn't aware that the fix was on general release now, atleast i think it is and not just on a trial and would have thought he would have tried the forum to find out what was going on.

But i could be wrong and it is possible lots of the public got put on the trial without knowing so everyone may still not have it.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 16-05-2018 at 16:54.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 19:43   #14
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Tried a factory reset to see if it pushes new firmware to it?
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 12:39   #15
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

It's a weird one, but here goes:

When it was on trial it was also out for general release to some areas and people.
It's not only possible to get in on general release if you're on the 350Mbit profile and it doesn't seem to be a guarantee that you do.
There's 2 versions floating about now .603 and .608

Aside from all that, it's a pretty damn good attempt as a fix and as of yet I can't seem to break it like I could all the others and 'the feeling' factor is that gaming/VOIP and other things I could easily show issues on in my testing is a lot better.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote