Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC wants to increase licence fee

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

BBC wants to increase licence fee

Old 29-09-2018, 11:12   #76
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: BBC wants to increase licence fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Because not as many would be contributing OB, do the maths ! Unless you dramatically decreased what the BBC output. Drama, the BBCs strength, is particularly expensive.

And what about local and national radio? Get rid of that too ? It provides a public and sometimes essential service.
I've done the math and realsed the output from the BBC is not worth the cost.

The output from the likes of Netflix and Amazon is cost effective though.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2018, 14:17   #77
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I've done the math and realsed the output from the BBC is not worth the cost.

The output from the likes of Netflix and Amazon is cost effective though.
Netflix and Amazon’s output comes nowhere near the breadth required for public service broadcasting though. They can concentrate their resources on their chosen market segment. The BBC can’t (nor can ITV for that matter).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 21:05   #78
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Netflix and Amazon’s output comes nowhere near the breadth required for public service broadcasting though. They can concentrate their resources on their chosen market segment. The BBC can’t (nor can ITV for that matter).
Yes, because they concentrate on dramas, and lately they have started documentaries as well.

However, as more streaming services start to make their presence felt in UK markets, we will start to see more documentaries, nature programmes and other more niche stuff coming on the scene, and there will be an awful lot more choice, not scheduled and without commercials, at a lesser price. The money for public service broadcasting will be reallocated accordingly.

I am astounded that you appear not to think that this is a good thing.

What public service broadcasting do you think is important? Are you worried that we will not be able to avoid having to watch this stuff?

Just askin'....
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 21:33   #79
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Who said anything about what’s good? As per, you’re adding 2 and 2 and getting 5.

On the contrary, I’m simply observing facts. The BBC has a public service remit that effectively mandates a great deal of its budget allocation process away from the kind of drama output that characterises almost all of Amazon and Netflix original content. If you’re a fan of drama that makes A&N look more cost effective. I have Netflix because I do like drama, especially the fantasy/adventure kind they produce a lot of (I also have Amazon, but that’s incidental to our Prime membership... I wouldn’t pay extra for their TV, the selection’s not a patch on Netflix). On the other hand, I’ve spent the last 2 hours watching Strictly Come Dancing, which is one of the biggest shows on British TV and is also broadcast live, with viewer interaction, so regardless of whether it’s delivered via satellite, terrestrial, cable or IP stream, its very nature means it is and will always be linear.

The real problem here, as usual, is an inability to see the TV licence fee for what it is - a compulsory charge for a broad range of services regardless of whether the payee uses them or not. It’s a form of tax, similar in aim to council tax. The TV licence is not a subscription and trying to liken it to your Netflix sub is comparing apples and oranges. This is why value comparisons fail and why those who argue for the TVL to be replaced by a BBC subscription don’t even understand why the idea’s a non-starter (the U.K. already has a successful commercial model for public service broadcasters - it’s called free-to-air with advertising, and it’s what ITV, Four and Five already do).
Old 29-09-2018, 22:12   #80
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Who said anything about what’s good? As per, you’re adding 2 and 2 and getting 5.

On the contrary, I’m simply observing facts. The BBC has a public service remit that effectively mandates a great deal of its budget allocation process away from the kind of drama output that characterises almost all of Amazon and Netflix original content. If you’re a fan of drama that makes A&N look more cost effective. I have Netflix because I do like drama, especially the fantasy/adventure kind they produce a lot of (I also have Amazon, but that’s incidental to our Prime membership... I wouldn’t pay extra for their TV, the selection’s not a patch on Netflix). On the other hand, I’ve spent the last 2 hours watching Strictly Come Dancing, which is one of the biggest shows on British TV and is also broadcast live, with viewer interaction, so regardless of whether it’s delivered via satellite, terrestrial, cable or IP stream, its very nature means it is and will always be linear.

The real problem here, as usual, is an inability to see the TV licence fee for what it is - a compulsory charge for a broad range of services regardless of whether the payee uses them or not. It’s a form of tax, similar in aim to council tax. The TV licence is not a subscription and trying to liken it to your Netflix sub is comparing apples and oranges. This is why value comparisons fail and why those who argue for the TVL to be replaced by a BBC subscription don’t even understand why the idea’s a non-starter (the U.K. already has a successful commercial model for public service broadcasters - it’s called free-to-air with advertising, and it’s what ITV, Four and Five already do).
This is a bit confusing to me. Can you explain what public service broadcasting you think is endangered by streaming services?

As far as 'Strictly' is concerned, there is no reason why shows like this cannot appear on our streaming services. Have you forgotten about 'The Grand Tour' on Amazon?
Old 29-09-2018, 22:20   #81
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
This is a bit confusing to me. Can you explain what public service broadcasting you think is endangered by streaming services?

As far as 'Strictly' is concerned, there is no reason why shows like this cannot appear on our streaming services. Have you forgotten about 'The Grand Tour' on Amazon?
I’m flogging a dead horse here.

Where have I said any public service broadcasting is endangered by streaming services? Oh that’s right I haven’t. Just goes to show, the forum ‘quote’ button sadly isn’t also a ‘I’ve read what I’m about to quote’ button.

Yes, by the way, I have forgotten about the Grand Tour. Without the discipline of a BBC production team behind them, Clarkson et al are rudderless old bores endlessly repeating the same tired cliches. It was a lavish disappointment. Not sure how that’s in any way relevant to a live dancing competition with viewer voting though. Neither the Grand Tour nor indeed TopGear were ever intended to be live or interactive.
Old 29-09-2018, 23:05   #82
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:

Old 30-09-2018, 01:32   #83
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I’m flogging a dead horse here.

Where have I said any public service broadcasting is endangered by streaming services? Oh that’s right I haven’t. Just goes to show, the forum ‘quote’ button sadly isn’t also a ‘I’ve read what I’m about to quote’ button.

Yes, by the way, I have forgotten about the Grand Tour. Without the discipline of a BBC production team behind them, Clarkson et al are rudderless old bores endlessly repeating the same tired cliches. It was a lavish disappointment. Not sure how that’s in any way relevant to a live dancing competition with viewer voting though. Neither the Grand Tour nor indeed TopGear were ever intended to be live or interactive.
You said ‘Netflix and Amazon’s output comes nowhere near the breadth required for public service broadcasting.’

If I have misinterpreted you, I apologise, but I don’t see how else that can be interpreted.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t like ‘The Grand Tour’. I was giving that as an example that disproves your point.

By the way, I do agree that your horse has definitely deceased.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 30-09-2018 at 01:35.
Old 30-09-2018, 11:55   #84
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

One swallow doesn’t make a spring, OB. A single example of a non-drama production comes nowhere near making Amazon Prime a comparable service to the BBC. The fact that you think otherwise just proves how unlikely it is that you have any great insight to add to this topic. You’ve been making a lot of noise on this subject for a number of years now, but you know what they say.