Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rugby World Cup 2011

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport

Rugby World Cup 2011
View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the 2011 Rugby Union World Cup?
Canada 1 3.33%
France 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
New Zealand 8 26.67%
Tonga 0 0%
Argentina 0 0%
England 8 26.67%
Georgia 0 0%
Romania 0 0%
Scotland 0 0%
Australia 2 6.67%
Ireland 2 6.67%
Italy 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
USA 0 0%
Fiji 0 0%
Namibia 1 3.33%
Samoa 0 0%
South Africa 6 20.00%
Wales 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2011, 15:07   #16
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Nice reply but my point is made about the last 5 world cups and when it comes to a crucial match at the knockout stage they have fallen short thus their last world cup they won was in 1987.

And by the way who is your tip.
So according to your viewpoint, England have choked twice in the finals and once in the quarter-finals of the World Cup....

My tip? My heart is with England, but my brain is with SA or NZ.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2011, 15:16   #17
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So according to your viewpoint, England have choked twice in the finals and once in the quarter-finals of the World Cup....

My tip? My heart is with England, but my brain is with SA or NZ.
Ah but we were discussing the All Blacks and their record in the world cup but England generally apart from the Woodward era have never been good enough.

My tip? Well my heart will be with England but my brain says that the Springboks will win the tournament.
Old 09-09-2011, 21:55   #18
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

The point about NZ is that IMHO they've been the outstanding team in the world for years but have failed to translate all that domination into proportionate World Cup success. I haven't got all the stats but, with the exception of 2003, I don't think England have been all that high in the world rankings over the years yet their World Cup results have been better than they'd suggest.

I have a feeling the Aussies are going to cap a rotten 6 months for NZ.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:01   #19
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
All Blacks stats for the last few years...

2010 stats - played 14, won 13

2009 stats - played 10, won 5

2008 stats - played 16, won 14

With that record, I wish the England team were "chokers"......

New Zealand's rugby union side are pretty much the text-book definition of chokers in sport. Always the favourite by some distance for the last few world cups but when it comes to the crunch they fail to deliver time after time.
Shadow Demon UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:53   #20
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

New Zealand 41 Tonga 10

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...ch-report.html

Scotland 34 - 24 Romania

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Rugb...-34.6833870.jp

---------- Post added at 06:53 ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 ----------

Fiji 49 Namibia 25

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/ma...sounding+style
Old 10-09-2011, 08:56   #21
denphone
Still alive and fighting

France 47 Japan 21

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/ma...+gallant+japan
Old 10-09-2011, 10:17   #22
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

England looking very ponderous and shaky against Argentina. Reminds me of the last world cup. We got to the final then but never really played fluently and I don't see the tournament treating us quite so kindly this time around if there isn't a rapid improvement. Too many penalties could already have cost us dear. Whilst on balance I feel a really tough test is the best way to start a tournament like this, England could easily lose this if they don't get focused and cut out the sloppy mistakes. Johnson will be incandescent I reckon.

Oh and I must say, I just hate the choice of kit. Whose bright idea was that?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:28   #23
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
England looking very ponderous and shaky against Argentina. Reminds me of the last world cup. We got to the finals then but never really played fluently and I don't see the tournament treating us quite so kindly this time around if there isn't a rapid improvement. I must say, I just hate the choice of kit.
Well l have to say England have been utterly shocking in the first half and we were supposed to be well prepared and yes which stupid idiot designed this kit for us as our kit should be all white.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:40   #24
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I agree with kit...idiots to choose black.

England are poor, but no doubt they will improve when they play Scotland
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:47   #25
Osem
Inactive

Maybe it's all a plan - the runner up in Pool B will play the winner of Pool A which will probably be NZ. Maybe Johnson feels the only way to be credible RWC winners this time out will be to knock NZ out.....
Old 10-09-2011, 10:53   #26
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Or, Scotland beat Argentina, then beat England, and England plays with themselves
Old 10-09-2011, 10:59   #27
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Well the way this is going l can see the headlines coming now "The bleakest day in English rugby"
Old 10-09-2011, 11:01   #28
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well the way this is going l can see the headlines coming now "The bleakest day in English rugby"
Too soon for that headline, wait until they are officially knocked out

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

Nooooooooo, they scored
Old 10-09-2011, 11:05   #29
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

You missed out on the "I dont care about rugby to get excited about it" option
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:10   #30
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
You missed out on the "I dont care about rugby to get excited about it" option
That option is always available, you just don't vote