Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 25-10-2018, 14:20   #4606
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Your current streaming services aren't really a great comparison as broadcasters remove their content you'll be forced with less and less choice on them. Netflix and Amazon currently offer third party content in just the same way Sky and Virgin do. What happens when Disney, Fox , Comcast etc remove their content and your forced to pay more to get the same content.
I don't use Amazon or Netflix for third party content, I use them to watch their original programming.

Sky content including Fox, etc, will continue to be available on Now TV or whatever Sky replaces it with when they move to internet only delivery, and free-to-view on demand services will still be available by whatever replaces the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 players.

I dare say there will be more free streaming services with unskippable advertisements showing junk, just as there are such channels now.
Advertisement
Old 25-10-2018, 14:24   #4607
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Totally changing what you originally say it's a bit of a habit of yours.

You've told us Disney/Fox , HBO , Showtime , Starz plus others would all have their own streaming services and thus there content wouldn't be included on Sky.

You seem to tell us the traditional method of bundling isn't viable but are in favour of replacing it with bundling but on a streaming service.
Old 25-10-2018, 14:25   #4608
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I pay £5 per month for Sky Cinema HD as part of my package. A package that was advertised on Sky's website for a limited time.
And as you know, there are brilliant deals available for Now TV. You seem to be comparing full price streaming with cut price conventional pay tv packages. To get a more accurate picture, you need to compare the full price of each service. We cannot predict what deals may be available in the future.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 25-10-2018 at 14:28.
Old 25-10-2018, 14:31   #4609
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
And as you know, there are brilliant deals available for Now TV. You seem to be comparing full price streaming with cut price conventional pay tv packages. To get amore a curate picture, you need to compare the full price of each ser ice. We cannot predict what deals may be available in the future.
Sky Cinema is available to add for most existing customers on Sky at £10 and has been for ages so 1p difference to Now TV normal price.
Old 25-10-2018, 14:35   #4610
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

You've told us Disney/Fox , HBO , Showtime , Starz plus others would all have their own streaming services and thus there content wouldn't be included on Sky.

You seem to tell us the traditional method of bundling isn't viable but are in favour of replacing it with bundling but on a streaming service.
Not quite, muppetman, you are twisting it!

HBO and Starz already have streaming services over here, but that doesn't prevent Sky from doing deals with such companies, either to have those services added to their own service or to do deals on individual programmes. HBO is a perfect example of this. However, I can see the nature of that relationship changing within the next decade.

I don't think bundling of channels itself is unviable, but I do think the drastic discounts the likes of Sky are making available is not sustainable in the long term. It's the lack of advertising revenue that will kill off the scheduled programming channels.
Old 25-10-2018, 14:36   #4611
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Contradictions are OB's middle name as l have lost count how many times OB has contradicted himself.
Old 25-10-2018, 14:37   #4612
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Sky Cinema is available to add for most existing customers on Sky at £10 and has been for ages so 1p difference to Now TV normal price.
I was paying double that to Virgin, but the price of packaging is different to what Sky provides.
Old 25-10-2018, 14:38   #4613
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Not quite, muppetman, you are twisting it!

HBO and Starz already have streaming services over here, but that doesn't prevent Sky from doing deals with such companies, either to have those services added to their own service or to do deals on individual programmes. HBO is a perfect example of this. However, I can see the nature of that relationship changing within the next decade.

I don't think bundling of channels itself is unviable, but I do think the drastic discounts the likes of Sky are making available is not sustainable in the long term. It's the lack of advertising revenue that will kill off the scheduled programming channels.
l somehow doubt it.
Old 25-10-2018, 14:39   #4614
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Contradictions are OB's middle name as l have lost count how many times OB has contradicted himself.
And yet you've never listed any with any degree of accuracy.

The problem is, Den, you either read more into my posts than what I actually say, or you mis-remember without checking that your recollection is correct.. Not sure which.
Old 25-10-2018, 19:17   #4615
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

I agree with the views several have posted - streaming will be expensive unless you want a very limited spectrum of viewing.

currently I have Sky Sports and BT Sports which give me access to

premier league football
Championship football
Scottish league football
Champions league football
Europa League football
FA cup football
International Football
International Cricket
County cricket
International Rugby Union
Premiership Rugby Union
New Zealand Rugby Union
South African Rugby Union
Super League Rugby League
NRL Rugby League
Formula 1

Plus a lot of other sports I barely watch.

If all of these set up their own streaming I will be faced with the option of only being able to watch a limited subset of what I currently watch or paying many times my current subscriptions.

I base this on the cost of streaming, an example of which is NRL rugby league which costs over £20pm.

Whichever way you look at it the cost of Sky and BT sports packages are reasonable compared with what is inevitably going to come if we are to believe OB.
Old 25-10-2018, 20:04   #4616
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I agree with the views several have posted - streaming will be expensive unless you want a very limited spectrum of viewing.

premier league football
Championship football
Scottish league football
Europa League football
FA cup football
International Football
International Cricket
County cricket
Premiership Rugby Union
New Zealand Rugby Union
NRL Rugby League
Formula 1

If all of these set up their own streaming I will be faced with the option of only being able to watch a limited subset of what I currently watch or paying many times my current subscriptions.

I base this on the cost of streaming, an example of which is NRL rugby league which costs over £20pm.

Whichever way you look at it the cost of Sky and BT sports packages are reasonable compared with what is inevitably going to come if we are to believe OB.
I did say that sport was in a different category, but we'll see how that pans out over time. For example, Sky and Virgin could offer various packages of streaming services at a discounted price, or maybe have wholesale deals in place such as with BT Sport.

It's early days yet and we will have to see what transpires, but each of these streaming services will only attract small audiences if they do not enter into arrangements with the big suppliers of content that benefit the punters.
Old 25-10-2018, 20:13   #4617
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

premier league football
Championship football
Scottish league football
Europa League football
FA cup football
International Football
International Cricket
County cricket
Premiership Rugby Union
New Zealand Rugby Union
NRL Rugby League
Formula 1

With the handle Raider what about the NFL?
Old 25-10-2018, 21:16   #4618
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
With the handle Raider what about the NFL?

Used to watch it years ago (Monarchs) - however the handle pertains to Worthing Raiders Rugby Club
Old 25-10-2018, 21:23   #4619
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Do some of you not get bored arguing the same old back and forth year after year? I could disappear for 5 years, come back into one of these threads and it would still be familiar.

Seriously, look back through your own post histories over the years then compare them with the ones you are posting today.
Old 25-10-2018, 21:28   #4620
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Do some of you not get bored arguing the same old back and forth year after year? I could disappear for 5 years, come back into one of these threads and it would still be familiar.

Seriously, look back through your own post histories over the years then compare them with the ones you are posting today.
You could say that with quite a few threads in this forum.