Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 05-03-2019, 15:12   #631
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Ok, who has the Queen been trolling then? [COLOR="Silver
Ha Ha, you never know

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
With all the hype about online bullying, fake news etc, it's easy to think that, but I suspect the truth is nearer the opposite.

Facebook does offer the option to lock down your profile so that it's only accessible by friends and apps/pages you've given access. I am unsure if that is switched on by default, because I've been a member of facebook for years (I locked down my own profile), and am not going to set up another facebook account just to check this.

Generally, on my timeline ,I see posts from friends, and pages i've "liked", and the stuff I read on my timeline is stuff I am usually interested in, even if I don't agree with it.

The problem comes because even if the account is locked down, it is entirely possible that someone bad (be it a bully, ISIS recruiter or whatever) can get your facebook details and request a friendship. They can do this by genuinely appearing friendly, even using tricks to appear more friendly. Or they can threaten you.

I don't have accurate figures, but I suspect that the vast majority of social media users are just normal people. People who use facebook to keep track of old friends, use it to comment on other posts, and post the odd photo of family or a good night out. People who use Twitter for the same.
I think you're right Stuart, the vast majority of people don't use the internet to deliberately upset people by the use of snide comments, bullying, harrassment etc and any new regulations won't be relevant to how they conduct themselves.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2019, 15:29   #632
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
With all the hype about online bullying, fake news etc, it's easy to think that, but I suspect the truth is nearer the opposite.

Facebook does offer the option to lock down your profile so that it's only accessible by friends and apps/pages you've given access. I am unsure if that is switched on by default, because I've been a member of facebook for years (I locked down my own profile), and am not going to set up another facebook account just to check this.

Generally, on my timeline ,I see posts from friends, and pages i've "liked", and the stuff I read on my timeline is stuff I am usually interested in, even if I don't agree with it.

The problem comes because even if the account is locked down, it is entirely possible that someone bad (be it a bully, ISIS recruiter or whatever) can get your facebook details and request a friendship. They can do this by genuinely appearing friendly, even using tricks to appear more friendly. Or they can threaten you.

I don't have accurate figures, but I suspect that the vast majority of social media users are just normal people. People who use facebook to keep track of old friends, use it to comment on other posts, and post the odd photo of family or a good night out. People who use Twitter for the same.

+1
Old 05-03-2019, 15:43   #633
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Tbh, don't know why anyone uses Facebook or other social media if they value their own privacy. FB have already shown they can't be trusted with anyone's data.

Don't give your details/ info out is the best policy. People are far too lax giving their phone nos, details to all and sundry, then complain when they are inundated with junk or have their identity stolen.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 15:51   #634
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Tbh, don't know why anyone uses Facebook or other social media if they value their own privacy. FB have already shown they can't be trusted with anyone's data.

Don't give your details/ info out is the best policy. People are far too lax giving their phone nos, details to all and sundry, then complain when they are inundated with junk or have their identity stolen.
There are excellent privacy settings on Facebook Mr K so a little bit of work goes a long way.
Old 05-03-2019, 15:59   #635
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
There are excellent privacy settings on Facebook Mr K so a little bit of work goes a long way.
Yes but do you trust Facebook itself? The boss doesn't seem very honest/reliable. They are only in it for one thing, money, and the most valuable thing they have is info about you.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:03   #636
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Mark Zuckerberg has said that facebook will now focus on becoming a "privacy focussed network", as opposed to wanting to 'connect the world':

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/t...vacy-blog.html

They say that private messages will be encrypted, so that even facebook can't access them.

I still don't trust them.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:17   #637
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Yes but do you trust Facebook itself? The boss doesn't seem very honest/reliable. They are only in it for one thing, money, and the most valuable thing they have is info about you.
Well l have been a user for a fair while without any problems so that tells its own story Mr K.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:28   #638
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

They say that private messages will be encrypted, so that even facebook can't access them.
That'll go down well with Teresa May & Co
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:29   #639
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

It is up to you how much info you lay out in FB. You don't have to put everything about you anywhere on social media. You don't have to provide anything about you re your life is you don't want to. There are a number of sites that keep asking for my mobile number so they can check that I'm me.I just don't provide it. As a result I get no spam texts or phone calls.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:37   #640
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
That'll go down well with Teresa May & Co
Yep, the security services and the police aren't happy about private messages being encrypted. IMO, this will lead to online trolls thinking that they can get away with it.

I would think that, whilst it will make it more difficult, they would be able to circumvent the encryption eg if someone is suspected of plotting a terrorist act.

This mornings 'Crimewatch Roadshow' said that hate crimes had nearly doubled to 100,000 in the last five years. Sam Renke, a wheelchair user, told how she had received online comments such as 'It's not just uncomfortable, it's creepy', 'That thing isn't normal', 'Disgusting, freakish and awful', Ew, she is disabled' etc.

Professor Imran Awan, Government advisor on muslim hate crimes, talks about the impact of hate crimes on this community.

If anyone wants to watch it, episode 4 is about 36 minutes in and lasts for about four minutes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ss27z

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 07-03-2019 at 11:42. Reason: Added link.
Old 07-03-2019, 13:25   #641
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:

This mornings 'Crimewatch Roadshow' said that hate crimes had nearly doubled to 100,000 in the last five years.
I would imagine that's mainly because more things are now defined as 'hate crime'. Calling somebody a fat useless *cough* at one time sometimes led to a smack in the mouth, now it gets you a criminal record. I guess it's an improvement in social equality, but also takes police time away from 'real' crime investigation.

Good effect, bad effect
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 16:20   #642
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I would think that, whilst it will make it more difficult, they would be able to circumvent the encryption
I think you missed the point of encryption.
If you could circumvent when you wanted then it would be completely useless.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 16:46   #643
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I think you missed the point of encryption.
If you could circumvent when you wanted then it would be completely useless.
I was thinking along the lines of the security services having the expertise to crack it if facebook don't co-operate, otherwise terrorists etc could just use this method. Maybe they don't, i'm not sure.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:37   #644
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

The man who invented the internet has written a letter to express his regret that his invention has become "A space for those who spread hatred" and urged Governments to "crackdown on this and not be defeatist":

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-internet.html
Old 12-03-2019, 14:13   #645
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
The man who invented the internet has written a letter to express his regret that his invention has become "A space for those who spread hatred" and urged Governments to "crackdown on this and not be defeatist":

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-internet.html
He didn’t urge governments to "crack down" - that is the Fail’s interpretation/headline grabbing version of what he said. If you read the Fail article, he didn’t use the words "crack down"..

Here is the source article - https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...s-lee-message/
Quote:
To tackle any problem, we must clearly outline and understand it. I broadly see three sources of dysfunction affecting today’s web:

1. Deliberate, malicious intent, such as state-sponsored hacking and attacks, criminal behaviour, and online harassment.

2. System design that creates perverse incentives where user value is sacrificed, such as ad-based revenue models that commercially reward clickbait and the viral spread of misinformation.

3. Unintended negative consequences of benevolent design, such as the outraged and polarised tone and quality of online discourse.

While the first category is impossible to eradicate completely, we can create both laws and code to minimize this behaviour, just as we have always done offline. The second category requires us to redesign systems in a way that changes incentives. And the final category calls for research to understand existing systems and model possible new ones or tweak those we already have.

You can’t just blame one government, one social network or the human spirit. Simplistic narratives risk exhausting our energy as we chase the symptoms of these problems instead of focusing on their root causes. To get this right, we will need to come together as a global web community...

...Governments must translate laws and regulations for the digital age. They must ensure markets remain competitive, innovative and open. And they have a responsibility to protect people’s rights and freedoms online. We need open web champions within government — civil servants and elected officials who will take action when private sector interests threaten the public good and who will stand up to protect the open web.

Companies must do more to ensure their pursuit of short-term profit is not at the expense of human rights, democracy, scientific fact or public safety. Platforms and products must be designed with privacy, diversity and security in mind. This year, we’ve seen a number of tech employees stand up and demand better business practices. We need to encourage that spirit.

And most importantly of all, citizens must hold companies and governments accountable for the commitments they make, and demand that they respect the web as a global community with citizens at its heart. If we don’t elect politicians who defend a free and open web, if we don’t do our part to foster constructive healthy conversations online, if we continue to click consent without demanding our data rights be respected, we walk away from our responsibility to ensure these issues are a priority for our governments.
As you can see, it’s a bit more complex than "governments must crack down"...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote