Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 20mb performance not what you'd expect? Check your router specs...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

20mb performance not what you'd expect? Check your router specs...

Old 20-03-2008, 14:36   #1
waler74
Inactive

waler74 is on a distinguished roadwaler74 is on a distinguished road
20mb performance not what you'd expect? Check your router specs...

Just thought I'd post this, obvious as the issue might be...

Like others on this forum, after an upgrade to the 20mb tier (from 2mb) I was troubled by my slow bandwidth responses.

I found a poster on another forum who had a Netgear router and found that it was the weak link in the chain. As I also have a Netgear router, I tested the point :

- speedtest from a wired PC to through the Netgear, 8 or 9mb at best.
- speedtest from same wired PC direct to the cable modem, 18mb.

The two tests were run within the space of 5minutes, allowing time for recabling and re-DHCP'ing. Running a 3rd test with the router in the middle gave similar 8/9 responses.

The reason for the speed difference with the router, became somewhat obvious when I checked the specifications. I've a Netgear WGT624 (v2) 108g wireless router. Both the v1 and v2 models only had a 10BaseT WAN port - even though the 4 wired ports and the internal switch were 10/100. However the newer the v3 and v4 revisions have 10/100 WAN ports. So in my case, the WAN port is limiting the throughput - nothing todo with the cable modem or VM.

Shouldn't be a problem for newer routers, but for older routers (mine is just 3yrs old), it's something else to check before blaming VM for your slow performance. 3yrs ago, bband speeds were quite different...

Time for a replacement me thinks.

Cheers rich.
waler74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2008, 15:06   #2
xspeedyx

Re: 20mb performance not what you'd expect? Check your router specs...

That the first thing you should do when using a router nice post
Old 20-03-2008, 16:00   #3
N.U.N.L
Inactive

Services: XL V+ 20mb Broadband
N.U.N.L is an unknown quantity at this point

Intresting, I have had browser issues for the last three weeks namely pages not loading or downloads failling, I have the same router & wireless router so just did a quick test, whilst the surfboard is directly connected I get no browser fallout's it's fast but when I plug the netgear back into the loop it's back to connection errors, how would this be???
N.U.N.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 16:10   #4
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

maybe the router is failing or you need to update the formware
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 16:11   #5
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.U.N.L View Post
Intresting, I have had browser issues for the last three weeks namely pages not loading or downloads failling, I have the same router & wireless router so just did a quick test, whilst the surfboard is directly connected I get no browser fallout's it's fast but when I plug the netgear back into the loop it's back to connection errors, how would this be???
The Netgear is finally biting the dust?
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 16:17   #6
N.U.N.L
Inactive

Services: XL V+ 20mb Broadband
N.U.N.L is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
maybe the router is failing or you need to update the formware
Not an option, it's the netgear that was given out years ago by telewest and the firmware is locked so I cannot flash it, bummer. Guess it's off to the shop's then, any reccomendations on which wireless router?
N.U.N.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 18:14   #7
marklar77
Inactive

Services: 56k Broadband
marklar77 is on a distinguished roadmarklar77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to marklar77

Some sort of Linksys. Any model.
marklar77 is offline   Reply With Quote