Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 20meg + Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

20meg + Router

Old 01-04-2007, 13:25   #1
GPR
Inactive

GPR is an unknown quantity at this point
20meg + Router

Hi, with the news V/Media hopefully upgrading 10meg to 20meg would i need to buy a new router I have the DI-Link 624+.
GPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 13:43   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 20meg + Router

If your router's WAN port is rated at 100mbps rather than 10mbps you'll be OK.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 14:46   #3
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

You may struggle if its over 54g wireless though! I'd hedge my bets far more for more it won't be capable of 20mbit over wireless then it will.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 16:20   #4
GPR
Inactive

GPR is an unknown quantity at this point

Iam on wireless now with 10meg and reach 9400/9800
http://www.speedtest.net/

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

This is the spec of my router
DI-624+ will this be ok for 20meg

Category Wireless Router Brand D-Link
Interface Ethernet 10BaseT , Ethernet 100BaseT Wireless Protocol 802.11b ,
802.11g
Modem Without Modem Firewall With Firewall
Number of Ports 4 Range 100 m
Wireless Transfer Rate 54Mbps Number of Aerials 1
Lan Protocol Ethernet 100BaseT Frequency Band 2.4GHz

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:16 ----------

If my router is not suitable for 20meg could someone please advise me which routers i could use.
GPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 21:28   #5
ecksmen
Inactive

ecksmen is on a distinguished roadecksmen is on a distinguished road

Chances are your current router, even if it does have a 100Mbps Wan port may not handle 20Mbps.

My router has been tested to be able to sustain up to 98Mbps through the firewall (DGL-4300), some more modern routers struggle at even 15Mbps+.
ecksmen is offline   Reply With Quote