Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Remote Tivo viewing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Remote Tivo viewing

Old 12-03-2019, 17:26   #1
stripes
cf.addict

stripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enough
Remote Tivo viewing

Not sure whether this is simple networking, or simple Tivo, but I'll try here...

I record a lot of radio programmes on my Tivo box. Series links, one-offs, whatever. Fine, no problems. Plus of course the usual assortment of TV programmes.

But I’d like to play the radio programmes BACK through my stereo set-up in an adjacent room (right next door).

The set-up includes a small TV (fine for viewing ‘My Shows’ lists etc.)

Is there any simple way in which I can connect the two together, i.e. carry on recording my R4 stuff on my Tivo in one room, but be able to see/choose/play-back the programmes on my set-up in the room next door?

Am I missing something obvious, or asking too much?

Ta.

Allen.
stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2019, 08:22   #2
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Remote Tivo viewing

What I have done is to run an HDMI cable from my V6 through an HDMI spliter which then feeds 2 TVs. The second TV being in the bedrom
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 09:13   #3
stripes
cf.addict

stripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enough

Thanks arcimedes - I can see how that lets you SEE programs, but I take it you have no control facilities, i.e. you can’t pause, stop, scroll to other shows, etc.

Maybe I dreamt it, but wasn’t there once some sort of wifi device that linked a set-top box remotely to a TV in another room?

Allen
Old 13-03-2019, 09:29   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Thanks arcimedes - I can see how that lets you SEE programs, but I take it you have no control facilities, i.e. you can’t pause, stop, scroll to other shows, etc.

Maybe I dreamt it, but wasn’t there once some sort of wifi device that linked a set-top box remotely to a TV in another room?

Allen
After connecting with HDMi to your other tv, use the VM TiVo Control App on your phone, you can then control TiVo from another room as long as the TiVo is networked with an ethernet cable.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 09:31   #5
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Allen
I use the V6 remote in the bedroom (it uses wifi to communicate with the V6)
Old 13-03-2019, 10:05   #6
stripes
cf.addict

Mr K - thanks, I’m looking into that immediately. When you say the Tivo has to be ethernet connected - connected to what?

Arcimedes - your Tivo remote works from your bedroom to the Tivo box? Lummy. How far is that?

Allen

Last edited by stripes; 13-03-2019 at 10:08.
Old 13-03-2019, 10:25   #7
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Quote:
. When you say the Tivo has to be ethernet connected - connected to what?

Arcimedes - your Tivo remote works from your bedroom to the Tivo box? Lummy. How far is that?

Allen
about 6 feet!
Old 13-03-2019, 10:37   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Mr K - thanks, I’m looking into that immediately. When you say the Tivo has to be ethernet connected - connected to what?

Allen
Connected to your router/superhub. TiVo needs to be on the same network as your phones WiFi for the VM app RC function to work.

Think Archimedes is talking about the V6 rather than TiVo, where the RC doesn't need line of sight to the box.
Old 13-03-2019, 11:19   #9
stripes
cf.addict

Thanks Mr K, arcimedes.

Mr K: really sorry to bang on, but slight confusion. Does the VM phone app only work on V6, or will it work on old-style Tivo boxes?

Ta.

Allen.
Old 13-03-2019, 11:39   #10
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Thanks Mr K, arcimedes.

Mr K: really sorry to bang on, but slight confusion. Does the VM phone app only work on V6, or will it work on old-style Tivo boxes?

Ta.

Allen.
Yes it works with both boxes, I have a TiVo and V6 and can manage both.
Old 13-03-2019, 12:15   #11
stripes
cf.addict

Well, I reckon between you two excellent helpers you might well have solved my problem.

Can I just run through what I understand?

To do:

Fit HDMI splitter, longish HDMI cable to 2nd TV.
Ethernet connection, Tivo to router (in addition to normal cable connection).

Download VM Tivo Control App to my smartphone.

Then:

I am in ‘second TV room’, and using my phone I can access ‘My Shows’ (or whatever) and play a programme on the second TV.

My partner is in the ‘main’ TV room, and at the same time can use her Tivo remote to view whatever she wants on ‘her’ TV.

And the only advantage in me getting my Tivo upgraded to V6 is that (given 2 remotes) I could use my V6 remote in my 2nd room?

Please put me straight if I’m off-track, as although I try hard to ‘get it’ all, I am old and doddery!

Ta.

Allen
Old 13-03-2019, 19:41   #12
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Well, I reckon between you two excellent helpers you might well have solved my problem.

Can I just run through what I understand?

To do:

Fit HDMI splitter, longish HDMI cable to 2nd TV.
Ethernet connection, Tivo to router (in addition to normal cable connection).

Download VM Tivo Control App to my smartphone.

Then:

I am in ‘second TV room’, and using my phone I can access ‘My Shows’ (or whatever) and play a programme on the second TV.

My partner is in the ‘main’ TV room, and at the same time can use her Tivo remote to view whatever she wants on ‘her’ TV.

And the only advantage in me getting my Tivo upgraded to V6 is that (given 2 remotes) I could use my V6 remote in my 2nd room?

Please put me straight if I’m off-track, as although I try hard to ‘get it’ all, I am old and doddery!

Ta.

Allen
That sounds like a plan however if you've just got the one box, you can't watch different things. You'd both see the same output, unless one of the TVs has Freeview/another source.

If you had 2 boxes you can watch recordings from either box on either TV, but again they'd need to be networked. Unlike Tivo the V6 doesn't necessarily need ethernet and can network via wifi.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Actually thinking about it, the VM control app let you play some of your recordings on your phone/tablet. Never tried it with a radio recording, might work. So you could be playing something on your phone whilst your Mrs watches something else. Download it and have a play (but the TiVo would need to worked for the streaming to phone to work). It's useful for other stuff too, like managing or setting recordings when you're elsewhere, doesn't need to be networked for that. Good luck !

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Take that back about the app, I think streaming to the app only works with the V6.
Old 14-03-2019, 11:08   #13
stripes
cf.addict

To old and doddery, add daft.

Just realised that essentially what I was asking was to see two different programmes from ‘My Shows’ at the same time...

Two programmes = two boxes, as you said.

I had a closer look at the Virgin videos about the phone app, and from what I gather they only talk about pausing a show in one room and continuing it in another, not watching two shows simultaneously.

I want more than one user to access different files on my Tivo hard-drive, at will, at random.

Some sort of home data-base, which I would also have iTunes library, contents of my DVD recorder, and more! Daft, as I said. One day, maybe...

For now, two boxes.

Allen.
Old 14-03-2019, 11:25   #14
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

I dont see a problem with what you want to do. e.g. on Tivo1 you can access Tivo 2 and start a looking at a recording on Tivo 2 on Tivo . You can then do the same on Tivo 2 to watch a recording on Tivo 1.
Old 14-03-2019, 13:33   #15
stripes
cf.addict

No, there ain't a problem - once I have two Tivo boxes! I was trying to find a way of doing it with one box in one room, me in the other room, picking up the signal either by hdmi (or anything) and viewing through my second hifi-TV set up ...

And having just checked on the price of a second box (about a fiver a month) it becomes a no-brainer.

Sorry for any confusion (caused by me!).

Allen.