Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-06-2008, 07:49   #9751
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

'Groundhog day' makes it to El Reg... publicising the tenuous links between NebuAd, Claria and Gator corp...

NebuAd looks to 'spyware' firm for recruits

---------- Post added at 07:45 ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
I totally agree with the great idea about the lookup index but I honestly don't see it happening. I think once and every couple of days we should post some sort of reference material that is added to over time so that a new reader to the forum can, in a nutshell, grasp what our main points are. These should include links to the better sites like your own and all obvious others.

Edit - I think the post I was responding to must have been deleted but the gist still applies to what I previously said.
I started an index to specific posts in this thread over in the 'apathy' thread. feel free to add to it. It is time consuming but could be considered worth it.

---------- Post added at 07:49 ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Maybe later today I could look through the thread and pick out pagers of important info and make a post linking to thje best so some can get a quick update without all the stuff that was done today.
You should be aware that I have already started this, you actually posted in the apathy thread yesterday when this forum was locked. feel free to add to the index of links already there.
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2008, 08:08   #9752
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

[Admin Edit:- Off-topic Post Deleted]
Old 21-06-2008, 08:38   #9753
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
'Groundhog day' makes it to El Reg... publicising the tenuous links between NebuAd, Claria and Gator corp...

I started an index to specific posts in this thread over in the 'apathy' thread. feel free to add to it. It is time consuming but could be considered worth it.

You should be aware that I have already started this, you actually posted in the apathy thread yesterday when this forum was locked. feel free to add to the index of links already there.
I had noticed you had started might be worth pulling them altogether and perhaps asking Mick to add them to a closed stickie.

---------- Post added at 08:38 ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
[Admin Edit:- Off-topic Post Deleted]
Morning Hamster up early.
Old 21-06-2008, 09:07   #9754
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
But what if a senior person at Phorm was today, hypothetically, speaking to a senior representative from the EEC that was visiting and that person happened to be advocating that the anti-phorm crowd are a bunch of nutters and didn't know what they were talking about.

Imagine "Here, lets browse to the forum now that was referenced in the email you received and lets see what's going on".
Snapshot- This afternoon.

This is my point.

But
I totally agree with the great idea about the lookup index but I honestly don't see it happening. I think once and every couple of days we should post some sort of reference material that is added to over time so that a new reader to the forum can, in a nutshell, grasp what our main points are. These should include links to the better sites like your own and all obvious others.

Edit - I think the post I was responding to must have been deleted but the gist still applies to what I previously said.
That would be totally in keeping with the underhand, dishonest way that Phorm have chosen to conduct their business thus far.

However, if the EU commissioner's team had spent more than 30 seconds reading yesterday afternoon's exchanges, they could not have failed to spot that amongst the chaff, several people repeatedly asked the pro-Phorm poster, in a calm, polite manner, to put forward any clear, logical arguments in favour of the Webwise system that he/she could think of.

Equally, they would have noted that no such arguments were forthcoming.

Conclusion drawn by EU team: Even Phorm's most rabid defenders can't come up with a cogent argument as to why we should accept this intrusion of our privacy for someone else's commercial gain.

Hypothetically speaking, I think their grubby little plan backfired, don't you?
Old 21-06-2008, 10:09   #9755
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

I just listened to Steve Gibson's latest podcast .. good one!

ISP Betrayal .. http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm ..
Old 21-06-2008, 10:29   #9756
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post

what is really needed, given its not just Phorm here, we could do with a one stop shop usable forum "wiki" that can take all this (and the other) threads information, any (non?)member if their in the mood, will be able to update this information whenever something comes to light, keeping an eye out for people that want to remove/subvert the known facts placed there for their commercial gain OC.

how about it Paul,Mick etc is there room for a wiki here, or perhaps at Alexanders NoDPI site would be the better choice ?.

BTW, looking for those other companies
Security Now! Transcript of Episode #149
http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-149.pdf

heres the names of those other projects that need looking into, to trace their personels old Affiliations with any old spyware/adware or other connections, and not to forget the related tech docs to see how they are doing their intrusive datamining and perhaps breaking YOUR not for comercial use copyright notices etc.

"Steve:
The company I talked about before, Phorm. There's a company called NebuAd,
one called Front Porch, one called Adzilla, and..."

"Steve:
Yeah, nebulous ads or something. Okay. And there's something called Adzilla and
something called Project Rialto. So NebuAd, for example, they say to site publishers, and this is jargon taken from their promotional material, they say

"NebuAd observes aggregated consumer activity across any site on the Internet without collecting and using any personally identifiable information about the consumer. NebuAd combines this [indiscernible] wide view of pages navigated, searches performed...."

So they're seeing
what searches you do. They're watching, essentially they're in your click stream. All of these companies, every one of them is installing equipment in the ISP's facility."

perhaps you had better go grab and archive that tech information before it disappears.

Project Rialto is interesting

and Front Porch.[2]. Adzilla and Project Rialto dont appear to have a wiki page as yet....

perhaps his "My ads link:" needs special focus here in the future,
the Iphone and his "pinball" grabed my eye,
but more so the relationships with the mobile data and the Olympics.

is there a hint (more like a mega signpost shouting "this is our Next BIG prospect" )that all these DPI Interception for profit companys are going to converge on these and other large upcoming events, and use these sport events to Unlawfully mass collect, collate , and Process all your (mobile) datastreams and make their unlawful commercial "derivative works" for profit ?, thats a LOT of data in one place to be tracked back to your homebase later perhaps....

Old 21-06-2008, 10:53   #9757
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point

BT Customers

Please check for any unfamiliar routing - and note any untowards events.

The Article below contains the following quote, suggesting present tense in regards of the Trials:

"The current tests are set to push the system to see if it can cope with large volumes of traffic...."

http://www.customer-strategy.co.uk/c...cs=584&cs=3622

NOTE: This is not to say the Trials are running.

VM Customers

Are any other VM Customers having serious difficulties browsing including the following:

- Pages not loading, requiring a refresh
- Pages timing out consistently
- Pages loading in Plain Text only
- Tracerts indicating Traffic Management with Specific types of Traffic through the UBR
Old 21-06-2008, 11:07   #9758
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

several VM users have seen that yes, but so far its put down to the 4Mbit to 10 Mbit/s UBR and related kit upgrades, just yesturday, my Baguley NW routed CM seemed to get a remote reset and rebooted ,but no speed config file update....
Old 21-06-2008, 11:17   #9759
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
several VM users have seen that yes, but so far its put down to the 4Mbit to 10 Mbit/s UBR and related kit upgrades, just yesturday, my Baguley NW routed CM seemed to get a remote reset and rebooted ,but no speed config file update....
I've seen these issues for the past few days, and I'm in Edinburgh.

Edinburgh's upgrade was postponed months ago due to technical issues, and is not being upgraded for a while [grrrrrrrrr].

EDIT:

Popper try this, do tracerts for various genre, and then note the IP on the UBR.

I've been noticing, for the past few days here in Edinburgh, that Traffic appears to be managed beyond the STM. ie, different IPs for different genre. Anomaly?

EDIT 2:

As for talk with creating an index - is it possible someone could create a 'floating' toolbar to create bookmarks. We can all then work together to create an index for the Toolbar, which can be downloaded to our PCs. This would create a definative and very useful tool for the campaign.
Old 21-06-2008, 12:32   #9760
popper
Inactive

if your good with scripting (im Not) then Rebol View could do that easy and make a good GUI at the same time.

http://www.hmkdesign.dk/rebol/toolba...ar-manual.html

basicly anything thats got a file.r in a URL you can simply start rebol view, click cli/shell and type "do http://somewebsite/file.r "to have that (demo) script loaded up and run inside the 600k rebol view script app.

do http://www.hmkdesign.dk/rebol/toolbar/toolbar-demo.r
loads of example scripts here
http://www.rebol.org/cgi-bin/cgiwrap...script=proxy.r
http://www.reboltalk.com/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html

"do tracerts for various genre" what do you mean? put up the URLs you want to be traced and ill do it.

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

OT but yet another "bad business practice" VM in th news again.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06..._banking_loss/
"Virgin Media collects customer banking details on CD, then loses it"

"...
The firm contacted the Information Commissioner's Office when it discovered the loss and took its advice on how to inform customers.

It is paying for credit file protection for everyone whose banking information is now out in the wild, which means any fraud will be indemnified and credit histories will be unaffected...."

sure, and OC they dont send your Bogus canceled BB services bill to the CRA's eather..... "Indemnified" "unaffected" my arrr..
Old 21-06-2008, 13:16   #9761
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
"do tracerts for various genre" what do you mean? put up the URLs you want to be traced and ill do it.
I've noticed that particular media sources are routed through the same IP on the UBR - and these I never have problems with:

five.tv (213.86.253.5): 77-96-1-33.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
bbc.co.uk (212.58.224.131): 77-96-1-33.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
itv.com (83.98.74.134): 77-96-1-33.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
thesun.co.uk (143.252.148.160): 77-96-1-33.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
channel4.com (83.98.28.10): 77-96-1-33.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
virginmedia.com (212.250.162.12): 77-96-1-33.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
pokerstars.com (77.87.179.127): 77-96-1-1.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
poketstars.net (217.20.47.4): 77-96-1-2.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
bt.com (217.32.165.148): 77-96-1-2.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
tiscali.co.uk (212.74.99.30): 77-96-1-34.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
diy.com (62.6.240.94): 77-96-1-1.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
homebase.co.uk (129.35.70.107): 77-96-1-1.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
pcworld.co.uk (195.92.228.186): 77-96-1-34.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk

The others I have intermitent problems with. It should be noted that this pattern has only started over the past few weeks, and the routing is consistent.

Now, they are not all in the same locus, so why route the same way? I wonder if this is a for prioritising services delivered to PCs? Or possibly caused by the Tech issues that are preventing Edinburgh's upgrade?

What about with you? Anything similar?

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Dephormation

Please contact me at the alternative source
Old 21-06-2008, 13:19   #9762
popper
Inactive

something very weard there, im on the NTL bit (exC&W)BTW

i only just started on your list
typing

opps, i made an error in my configs sorry about that

to be revisited later
Old 21-06-2008, 13:20   #9763
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

ignore

Old 21-06-2008, 13:31   #9764
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Any Member not done so, got to nodpi.org and register for the Forum.
Old 21-06-2008, 13:44   #9765
popper
Inactive

yeah its about time the greater good is taken into consideration with all the new DPI firms starting to appear on the horizon.
Closed Thread