Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2018 price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

2018 price rises

Old 16-08-2018, 15:54   #61
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: 2018 price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
Yes the huge ripoff with VM is the line rental, as most people barely use the home phone but have to take it to get the bundle price
You can get VM broadband without a phone line but it will cost you more so where's the rip off?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2018, 16:03   #62
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Because it shouldn't cost more, as I have no line rental overhead or calls included. Why is broadband by itself more money, does not make sense.
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 16:07   #63
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Because it shouldn't cost more, as I have no line rental overhead or calls included. Why is broadband by itself more money, does not make sense.
If you take one service only, then you pay one price. You then get deals when you take two services, and a further deals if you take all three cable services.

So Broadband isn't more by itself. It's less as part of bundle as Virgin Media want to encourage you to take multiple services, same as any other company would like their customers to buy more from them.
Old 16-08-2018, 17:02   #64
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Well the line rental is around £19 a month but I don't think the increased BB/tv prices without are that high so you would probably save between the packages. I could be wrong though as never broke it down
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 17:09   #65
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
Well the line rental is around £19 a month but I don't think the increased BB/tv prices without are that high so you would probably save between the packages. I could be wrong though as never broke it down
With Line Rental Saver it works out at £16.33 a month line rental - assuming they haven't increased that too. Not as good deal as it used to be but worth doing if you've just signed up to a 12 month contract; wouldn't bother at any other time as it effectively ties you in.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 17:47   #66
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yes the huge ripoff with VM is the line rental, as most people barely use the home phone but have to take it to get the bundle price
It's the same with every other provider to be fair , I do agree though we never use the landline.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 17:50   #67
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It's the same with every other provider to be fair , I do agree though we never use the landline.
Its most definitely a rip off but l for one don't have a choice due to medical reasons.
Old 16-08-2018, 18:22   #68
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
If you take one service only, then you pay one price. You then get deals when you take two services, and a further deals if you take all three cable services.

So Broadband isn't more by itself. It's less as part of bundle as Virgin Media want to encourage you to take multiple services, same as any other company would like their customers to buy more from them.
And it's purely for retentions purposes - the more services a customer has - the less likely they are to leave to go somewhere else.
Virgin know full well if a customer has broadband with them and Tv with Sky, every time that customer rings up for whatever reason that is a potential sale.
All the providers do it.

What I do think is a rip off is the fact companies charge an "activation fee" when taking out standalone services -this is usually ridiculously high.
My friend, for example, is leaving VM for Sky but wants their Broadband only - they want £35 a month and £90 upfront for activation! She already has the services from the last time she was with them.
I helped her shop around she ended up getting the broadband for £25 a month, £20 activation and £50 prepaid credit card.
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 21:46   #69
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

If it's a siamese cable, does the line rental only apply to the small part of the cable? (being facetious)
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 00:12   #70
MrB
cf.addict

MrB is on a distinguished roadMrB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
With Line Rental Saver it works out at £16.33 a month line rental - assuming they haven't increased that too. Not as good deal as it used to be but worth doing if you've just signed up to a 12 month contract; wouldn't bother at any other time as it effectively ties you in.
I know the Line Rental Saver says no refunds, but if they put up your prices and you have a right to cancel them they should be required to refund pro rata? This was clarified for BT customers and the regulator was involved, so it should apply to Virgin too as it is the same contractual principle?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ving-regulator
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 00:22   #71
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
I know the Line Rental Saver says no refunds, but if they put up your prices and you have a right to cancel them they should be required to refund pro rata? This was clarified for BT customers and the regulator was involved, so it should apply to Virgin too as it is the same contractual principle?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ving-regulator
You'd think so, but they seem definite it's non refundable. Try it and let us know how you get on
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 14:45   #72
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post
Huh...I never knew.

If Sky wanted to be cruel I suppose that they could just refuse to sell the rights.
Sky did remove their channels from VM anout ten years ago. It would probably be viewed as anti competitive if they just removed them for no good reason, but asking for unreasonably high carriage costs to try to damage a competitor is another matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I must admit I was unaware of any change.
I remember posting a thread about it at the time to alert people to the fact that Sky Sports was no longer regulated and could, in theory, be removed from VM.

I've no idea about the situation with the premium Sky movie channels though.

Quote:
It used to be the case that if was cheaper to get a phone line with BB (even if you never plugged it in!)

However, when a family member dropped the phone, he saved something like two of three pounds a month, so I think this must have changed.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 17-08-2018 at 14:50.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 14:55   #73
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It used to be the case that if was cheaper to get a phone line with BB (even if you never plugged it in!)

However, when a family member dropped the phone, he saved something like two of three pounds a month, so I think this must have changed.

It hasn't.

2018-08-17 14_51_31-Broadband Deals _ Fibre Optic Broadband _ Virgin Media.png

Last edited by Hugh; 18-08-2018 at 16:38.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 16:44   #74
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Tried phoning a couple of times today to talk about the charges as I am thinking of leaving. First time I asked how long was left on my contract to be told me I was out of contract so mentioned about leaving and the advisor said they systems were down but to phone back in 2 hours. Phoned back and before I could say anything to the advisor started stating that the systems were down and to phone back in 2 hours.

At least the wait time to speak to someone is quite short at the moment, up to 30 seconds the automated voice said.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 19:58   #75
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

That's because the systems are down so they're not dealing with customers and unable to answer the phones. It probably means when the systems return there will be an even higher backlog!
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote