Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Movie premieres on VM

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

virgin media trials-next-generation-tivo-box

Old 16-01-2014, 22:41   #1
andrew.shearman
Inactive

andrew.shearman is an unknown quantity at this point

can I see an photo of the box and if I go over to the new tivo box how would I get my Shows off the box?
andrew.shearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2014, 22:55   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: virgin media trials-next-generation-tivo-box

Hold your horses ... it's a small scale trial of a prototype. VM have made no decisions about how or if to roll it out on their network.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/...ation-tivo-box
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 04:51   #3
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

This will be years away, if at all, but is important news for one reason - it means Horizon is not inevitable.
Old 17-01-2014, 08:52   #4
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

If I'm honest I'm not too excited by this. I've had more network communication failures than box failures over the years and I doubt very much whether we'll be given unlimited storage spare for recordings (I can see this being driven more by broadcasters than anything else).

I've always seen cloud(hate that term) solutions as a backup/archive to onsite storage solutions. Even though I can see the advantages of having recordings, series links , wishlist etc stored offsite I'd still be happier to have my recordings in my house.

Perhaps a hybrid solution would work e.g. you could choose which recordings you wanted to archive offsite but you'd still have the option to keep some on the box in the house (although this would need a massive increase in upload speeds on the network or we;d need to choose at time of setting a recording if we wanted it recorded to the box in the house or the offsite storage).
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 16:51   #5
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

I may get flamed for this but I wish they could get my Tivo of this generation to stop being so tempermental. Mine has constant lock ups and slows down to a crawl if I dont reboot it every 7 to 10 days.

Customer services told me they are supposed to be rebooted weekly whereas a technician has told me that is rubbish!

To cut a very long story short Im now on tivo box number 4 soon to be 5 as having issues again.
Cable and signal been checked so I'm very unlucky with Tivo it would seem.

I do like Tivo but in my case I feel it still needs more work on this generation before worrying about the next.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 18:43   #6
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

My Tivo has rebooted itself twice in the last two weeks.

The last time was yesterday at about 14.45.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 20:21   #7
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Mines switched itself on at 03:15 today, checked and it had done a network connection at that time... weird.

Luckily I was not long in from work, so switched it quickly off as the sound was blasting out my amp!
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 06:51   #8
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
This will be years away, if at all, but is important news for one reason - it means Horizon is not inevitable.

I love my Horizon box !
Old 18-01-2014, 07:05   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I love my Horizon box !
Well each to their own Itshim because its what suits people at the end of the day and the TiVo suits us fine.
Old 18-01-2014, 12:14   #10
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

I was looking at the website for the horizon box and it seems a good machine apart from one glaring drawback a 400 gig hard drive!

With everybody recording, you’ll need extra storage space, which is why we’ve provided a massive 400Gb - that’s enough for 320 hours of SD content. Taken from upc website
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 12:44   #11
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgem22 View Post
I was looking at the website for the horizon box and it seems a good machine apart from one glaring drawback a 400 gig hard drive!

With everybody recording, you’ll need extra storage space, which is why we’ve provided a massive 400Gb - that’s enough for 320 hours of SD content. Taken from upc website
Yes the way we are recording series in our household a 2 or 3TB hard drive would come in handy as lately there have been so many good series on at the same time.
Old 18-01-2014, 15:24   #12
clayts
Inactive

Services: Tivo; XL TV; L Broadband; M Phone
clayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about them

I spread the love by having series links for 'terrestrial' channels on either my Youview or Freeview HD box, and all the premium stuff on Tivo (I record a lot of 5 day test cricket matches which gobble up space like you wouldn't believe). Seems to work

clayts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 17:25   #13
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I love my Horizon box !
Where are you located that gives you access to a Horizon box? Have you moved to Ireland, or another area where they have it?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 18:11   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Where are you located that gives you access to a Horizon box? Have you moved to Ireland, or another area where they have it?
Check his location..

Quote:
Location: NearBaton Rouge, Louisiana odd days in Cardiff South Wales

So, he is in Louisiana most days..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 19:16   #15
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: virgin media trials-next-generation-tivo-box

I can't see Virgin dropping the Tivo system due to amount of money they have invested in the systems that run it . Just my opinion
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote