Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl budget cutbacks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl budget cutbacks

Old 03-02-2005, 14:21   #61
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: ntl budget cutbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
I wouldn't get too carried away with what seems at first glance to be the death knell for NTL. Don't forget that the bondholders have an immense amount of finance invested in the company and will not sit calmly back and watch it all go down the drain. NTLI shares are trading at just under $69 and rising. Reuters give it a very low risk grade http://investing.reuters.co.uk/Stock...boutRiskGrades
Quote:
Shareholders wont give a rats ass if ntl go down (the major ones who are rich) like all failing companies they will pull out just before it crashes leaving it without a spine. Out of interest say someone who owns 10% of ntl how much would they have pocketed from that division NTL sold recently?
I think everyones getting a bit carried away here. Who suggested ntl was going under???

ntl is still generating very good revenues.

It would appear that there have been 2 cock ups recently that have had 2 impacts.

1. the Met Police Contract = current redundancy program
2. field operations reporting = current overtime ban

The company is trying to save as much cash as possible because of the above. Which is prudent so that they "don't" end up the financial creek.
Old 03-02-2005, 14:29   #62
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Shareholders wont give a rats ass if ntl go down (the major ones who are rich) like all failing companies they will pull out just before it crashes leaving it without a spine. Out of interest say someone who owns 10% of ntl how much would they have pocketed from that division NTL sold recently?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzo
No but they will cut everything they can from the company and leave it limping along barely able to function before selling it off to the highest bidder.
The major shareholders who are rich have more sense than to let a company devalue itself before getting rid of their shares. They didn't get rich by throwing money down the drain. If a company is seen to be going down the pan who is going to take the risk of buying shares at an high price? The big shareholders have to protect their investment. The funds raised by the sale of broadcast is only a drop in the ocean at the side of investors current share value. Any savings made by the actions just reported are miniscule at the side of the companies worth. Have a look at the big shareholders and the value of what they own of NTLI. http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=NTLI
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 17:04   #63
Womble
Inactive

Services: 20meg BB SACM : All the Channels and phone
Womble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of Quads

Nice to know someone is getting minted while the rest of us get well and truly screwed!!!!!!!!!

INSIDER & RULE 144 TRANSACTIONS REPORTED - LAST TWO YEARS
Date Insider Shares Transaction Value*
18-Jan-05 MOONEY. 4,166 Auto Sale at $66.87 - $67.55 per share. 280,0002
18-Jan-05 MOONEY 4,166 Plan Sale 279,8021
31-Dec-04 MOONEY 15,000 Option Exercise at $15 per share. 225,000
31-Dec-04 MOONEY 31,667 Sale at $72.72 - $73.35 per share. 2,313,0002
31-Dec-04 MOONEY 31,667 Plan Sale 2,313,9071
3-Dec-04 KERREST 4,000 Acquisition at $71.36 per share. 285,440
15-Oct-04 MOONEY 4,167 AutoSale at $62.25 - $62.35 per share 260,0002
30-Sep-04 MOONEY 15,000 PlanSale 2,363,4991 30-Sep-04 MOONEY 15,000 Option Exercise at $15 per share. $225,000
30-Sep-04 MOONEY 35,932 AutoSale at $61.46 - $62 per share. $2,218,0002
30-Sep-04 MOONEY 2,400 AutoSale at $62.04 - $62.2 per share. $149,0002

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=NTLI

Using my limited maths! he has binned $9,998,7533, nearly 10 million
Womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 17:13   #64
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble
Nice to know someone is getting minted while the rest of us get well and truly screwed!!!!!!!!!

INSIDER & RULE 144 TRANSACTIONS REPORTED - LAST TWO YEARS
Date Insider Shares Transaction Value*
18-Jan-05 MOONEY. 4,166 Auto Sale at $66.87 - $67.55 per share. 280,0002
18-Jan-05 MOONEY 4,166 Plan Sale 279,8021
31-Dec-04 MOONEY 15,000 Option Exercise at $15 per share. 225,000
31-Dec-04 MOONEY 31,667 Sale at $72.72 - $73.35 per share. 2,313,0002
31-Dec-04 MOONEY 31,667 Plan Sale 2,313,9071
3-Dec-04 KERREST 4,000 Acquisition at $71.36 per share. 285,440
15-Oct-04 MOONEY 4,167 AutoSale at $62.25 - $62.35 per share 260,0002
30-Sep-04 MOONEY 15,000 PlanSale 2,363,4991 30-Sep-04 MOONEY 15,000 Option Exercise at $15 per share. $225,000
30-Sep-04 MOONEY 35,932 AutoSale at $61.46 - $62 per share. $2,218,0002
30-Sep-04 MOONEY 2,400 AutoSale at $62.04 - $62.2 per share. $149,0002

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=NTLI

Using my limited maths! he has binned $9,998,7533, nearly 10 million
Not all profit though as some of the transactions were take up of options and we don't know from those figures how much he paid for some of those shares. Still not bad picking up share options for $15 and selling them for $60-£70. Wish I was a couple of coppers behind him.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 18:57   #65
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Alan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
I've been passed this from an annonymous source....
Sound's like all the NTL doom mongering is premature. I wouldn't like to work for COBI right now though.

Alan
Alan Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 19:05   #66
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Waddington
Sound's like all the NTL doom mongering is premature. I wouldn't like to work for COBI right now though.

Alan
If all this noise has made NTL change their minds then we have won an important battle. You cannot keep laying of the staff that are customer facing in a company with thousends of customers. It's upper managmant now that needs culling. They have too many bosses and not enough workers, NTLs pyramid has gone upside down..
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 19:13   #67
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits
If all this noise has made NTL change their minds then we have won an important battle. You cannot keep laying of the staff that are customer facing in a company with thousends of customers. It's upper managmant now that needs culling. They have too many bosses and not enough workers, NTLs pyramid has gone upside down..
Good words
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 19:35   #68
goblin
Inactive

goblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nice
Re: For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Waddington
*No preventative maintenance*

*Power Outages will be attended until 11pm, then cab will have to run on batteries until 8am.*

So, can we sue for negligence if the batteries give out & those 999 calls don't go through?
Is this a *real* possibility that calls to 999 could end up not routed to the emmergency services if the batteries fail?
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 19:39   #69
SLM
Inactive

SLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud of
Red face Re: ntl budget cutbacks

A couple of words to sum up ntl,

Its a technical company run by sales people.

Hope that makes sense.
SLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 19:41   #70
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre
I think everyones getting a bit carried away here. Who suggested ntl was going under???

ntl is still generating very good revenues.

It would appear that there have been 2 cock ups recently that have had 2 impacts.

1. the Met Police Contract = current redundancy program
2. field operations reporting = current overtime ban

The company is trying to save as much cash as possible because of the above. Which is prudent so that they "don't" end up the financial creek.
I have not picked this thread to reply to cos an ntl employee has posted, it just covers 2 issues close to my heart in the past.

The met police contract was obviously a big c**k-up, that's nothing new in ntl, more projects were wrong than right with the biggest offenders being the business department. ntl always employed plenty of "project management" types, and not enough people who actually knew how all the nuts and bolts went together.
I think the big difference now and a few years ago is money, ntl used to get into deep trouble on contracts and they would always use the one card they had up their sleeves when things went wrong. "Throw money at it" and "Give it the customer for free because we have made such a big hash of it"

The good skilled engineer type employees were always thin on the ground in ntl, I noticed most started leaving from corporate positions around 1998-1999, we saw the same happen in our region with some very good guys walking away. When things get bad the first to go are the ones who can find a better job, and the company is left with the unemployable ones. I do not generalise with that statement because ntl obviously has some good engineers still working for them, but the overall standard of skills compared to 5-6 years ago is definately lower due to people leaving and lower qualified and skilled people moving up to take their place.

The field operation situation is only the tip of the iceberg, those departments have been treated very badly for a number of years. They have undergone changes to working hours and practices and some I know have even been threatened with the sack if they question for example "why they are paid a few grand less than anyone else in the deaprtment" The latest redundancies in my old region of Wales, has meant they are able to get rid of 2 guys that have been off long term sick and were quite frankly long overdue for disposal, but they have also lost another 2 that have taken exeption to the latest shafting and gone out to find themselves another job.

Unfortunately for ntl as a company and it's customers, the 2 guys who have decided that ntl can stick their job where the sun doesn't shine are 2 of the best employees I have had the pleasure of working with on occassions. one guy was always very keen and very intelligent, his father was even an ntl manager and he had enough a while back and decided it was time to get out of the sorry place. The other guy had been with ntl from about 94-95, and was a very hard working guy. I understand he has left due to problems similar to my own when at ntl, he just had no work to do!

To correct that, there was plenty of valuable work for him to carry out but no budget for it to be done. I understand he has left because he doesn't want to carry on sitting on his backside taking the money every month whilst waiting for a bit of work to come his way.

Money problems aside, ntl is in one big hell of a mess
Old 03-02-2005, 20:23   #71
nidave
Inactive

nidave is on a distinguished roadnidave is on a distinguished road

Just as a mental exercise - If ntl went belly up what do you think would happen?
nidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 20:31   #72
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidave
Just as a mental exercise - If ntl went belly up what do you think would happen?
The situation will not arise where someone switches the power off on a friday night, but if this did happen customers would just go elsewhere, BT would probably suffer coping with demand for extra lines and Sky would have problems meeting demand for dish installations. It would be no great loss for the customer, but however it would be bad for the employees still left at the company.

Business customers wouldn't be affected a great deal, ntl has lost a lot of large customers and there would be no security/defense problems because the likes of ntl and telewest are not trusted with carrying traffic for the critical national infrastructure.
Old 03-02-2005, 22:02   #73
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I disagree it would be very bad for customers.

1 - Some have no ADSL in area and would lsoe their only option of broadband.

2 - Some cannot have sat dishes on property for various reasons and lose option for extra channels.

3 - Reduced competition making both BT and SKY get a nice present.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 22:13   #74
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I disagree it would be very bad for customers.

1 - Some have no ADSL in area and would lsoe their only option of broadband.

2 - Some cannot have sat dishes on property for various reasons and lose option for extra channels.

3 - Reduced competition making both BT and SKY get a nice present.
I'm sorry to sound harsh here, but that's the price that is paid when a bunch of monkeys run a company the way ntl has been run for the last 'I don't know how many' years.

What goes round comes around, & all those idiots at the top must be feeling really proud of themselves now....
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 22:27   #75
ntl customer
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs and funerals.
ntl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ntl has lost a lot of large customers and there would be no security/defense problems because the likes of ntl and telewest are not trusted with carrying traffic for the critical national infrastructure.
So who does carry traffic for critical national infrastructure?
ntl customer is offline   Reply With Quote