Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl budget cutbacks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl budget cutbacks

Old 08-02-2005, 09:07   #151
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: ntl budget cutbacks

Peter Black was originally the Networks Director, then he became CTO. He was the ultimate empire builder and expanded the Networks division into a bloated behemoth about 7 times the size it is now. It was unworkable and as soon as Wood left and Carter came in he was gone.

Leigh Bennet took over on a temporary basis and the current Networks Director is Steve Upton.

I also met Tom de la Rocco in '94. He was a big guy and was into the construction side of things but he went back to the states very soon after.

the original Cabletel yank clique of Barclay, Leigh Wood, Tom and Alfredo and Dinni Jain.

There was also another guy who once tried motivate us by quoting Yoda from Empire Strikes Back. - Weird.

I have no axe to grind with any of them, they're just part of the companies history.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:37   #152
injuneer
Inactive

injuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee
That could of been Leigh Wood, she had her head up her own a**e.

I went into a meeting with her because I was not part of operations, the operational people were not invited because a couple of techs had handed her their notice and told her where to stick her job previously.

She was really enjoying herself saying what a good job her and Barclay and Terry Ryan were doing, she was giving herself a good old ntl pat on the back.
I brought up the subject about a lot of good network techs and other technical people leaving at the time, I mentioned how the company was unable to recruit suitable replacements and they were having to pay more for replacements than some of the better existing guys. She claimed the new ones were better experienced and qualified thats why they were getting more money.

She then went on to say if people dont like it they can leave, she said to me "there are better people out there than you" I said "That goes for all of us" she then went red in the face and abruptly closed the meeting. That was the typical ntl manager, OK patting themself on the back but not wanting to listen to any problems.

I got into trouble because I went back and told all the technicians what she said, the network ops manager said I shouldn't of said it, I explained that I was only repeating what the UK CEO said about ntl's employees and how she made clear how much she valued them. I was always looking forward to another opportunity, because I vowed to have the bitch in tears at my next opportunity.

She left soon after to take 12 months off work to organise her private life, I thought after that meeting that she didn't really have the skills required for that job and she had obviously used some other skills to get the position.
That's the one, heard all about her but never actually met her, thank god !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre
Peter Black was originally the Networks Director, then he became CTO. He was the ultimate empire builder and expanded the Networks division into a bloated behemoth about 7 times the size it is now. It was unworkable and as soon as Wood left and Carter came in he was gone.

Leigh Bennet took over on a temporary basis and the current Networks Director is Steve Upton.

I also met Tom de la Rocco in '94. He was a big guy and was into the construction side of things but he went back to the states very soon after.

the original Cabletel yank clique of Barclay, Leigh Wood, Tom and Alfredo and Dinni Jain.

There was also another guy who once tried motivate us by quoting Yoda from Empire Strikes Back. - Weird.

I have no axe to grind with any of them, they're just part of the companies history.
They laid the foundations of the crap that ntl find themselves in today.
injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 18:10   #153
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre
You'd be suprised what "critical" / "national" information is carried on the ntl network.

18months ago ntl won a contract for the US Dept of Defence.
Missed this one.

ntl do not however carry any traffic for this countries critical national infrastructure as I said in my previous post. All traffic of a sensitive nature carried on the critical national infrastructure must use high grade carrier class crypto links. Currently there is only one device that meets/exceeds the specifications for this work, these units cannot be bought by any tom, dick or harry, there is a list of approved departments/companies who this sort of gear can be supplied. The last thing the governemnt would want is to have one in an unmanned switch site with security guards monitoring remotely in their sleep.

The only network operator in this country with authority to purchase these devices is not ntl!
Old 10-02-2005, 13:14   #154
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee
Missed this one.

ntl do not however carry any traffic for this countries critical national infrastructure as I said in my previous post. All traffic of a sensitive nature carried on the critical national infrastructure must use high grade carrier class crypto links. Currently there is only one device that meets/exceeds the specifications for this work, these units cannot be bought by any tom, dick or harry, there is a list of approved departments/companies who this sort of gear can be supplied. The last thing the governemnt would want is to have one in an unmanned switch site with security guards monitoring remotely in their sleep.

The only network operator in this country with authority to purchase these devices is not ntl!
But ntls fibre network has been subcontacted by another carrier for this US Defence contract.

No what big US Defence project has been making the news in the Uk in the past years??? think Fylingdales and missiles.

The other carrier will be buying all the technical kit but sending the signals over the ntl fibre network.

You have to remember that ntl leases individual fibre strands on its network to loads of other companies for their sole use.

Including but not limited to:

Orange
Flag
Level 3
Interroute
BT
Global Crossing

Some of these carriers incl BT may send critical sensitive information over their networks, but actually their networks may include ntl fibre.