Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Win 10 Speed slow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Win 10 Speed slow

Old 17-01-2019, 15:48   #31
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Win 10 Speed slow

TCPOptimiser should sort the problem out.

Quick and simple.

Start the program with administrative permissions: right-click on the program, choose "Run as administrator" -> OK
Choose your maximum connection speed (as advertised from your ISP) in the slider bar.(or move slider fully to the right if over 100Mbps connection)
Choose your Network Adapter that connects you to the Internet (or tick "Modify all network adapters")
Pick "Optimal settings" from the radio-buttons near the bottom of the program
Click on the "Apply changes" button, choose to create backup and log, and reboot when prompted
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2019, 12:23   #32
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You Maximus--I will read them all..Forgot about the 100 at end. Cheers..Pip08456-I used TCPOptomiser before n all it did was put it on 1500 of which it should be anyway...How else does it help...? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

OK-You might find this Strange or even Stupid, but I found on my PC Startup it started quicker in Modem Mode n got to Desktop far quicker than in Router mode...

I installed TCPOptomizer and it never did anything. (it never does) Still the same speeds.
I did find that the Fastest speed using OOkla was from Wolves,218 slowest from bristol.164
It has to be Windows 10 which I must admit, is on an older PC bought from Aldi's a long time ago. At least I know the Modem is OK. Many Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

AGAIN, I find this Strange..As My printers are only a few feet away and Working..

1 Your broadband connection is working.
2 Gateway IPv4 address is valid.
3 The device has low signal strength, please move it closer to EPSON5AF515.
4 The device has low signal strength, please move it closer to WN3000RPv3.
5 Please place your WiFi device near the Hub 3.0.
6 Your broadband connection is down.
7 The temperature of your Hub 3.0 is normal.
BROADBAND is ON & Working...lol I got Ghosts..
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 14:34   #33
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

you should go with plan A from before xmas and buy a proper router. Plan B is never buy a pc from a supermarket because they buy the cheapest naff they can get their hands on say it is half price, was £500 now £250.

True story for you, a guy who I work with bought his son a new laptop for xmas for uni and before xmas he asked me if I could upgrade the ram for him in advance so it was good to go. I told him I would need the model number so I could look at the specs and see what the upgrade options are. It was a HP "stream" series notebook and the ram is soldered straight onto the motherboard and neither upgradable or replaceable and the "HDD" was 32gb, it was basically a memory stick soldered to the motherboard. The more and more I read about it the more I cringed and I politely told him it was a pile of junk, I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me for free and I would take it back and swap it for something better which I would happily provide recommendations for. He told me he was going to take it back but I don't think he did. Any problems they have going forward is his own fault because he failed to listen to very sound and reasoned advice.

Hint hint.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 14:45   #34
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Not onlthat General but they are also loaded with bloatware!
Old 21-01-2019, 20:33   #35
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Perform your tests in Safe Mode with Networking.

This is the cleanest way to test the PC hasn't got some dodgy software or configuration on it. Test your speeds with that and report back.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 12:25   #36
copernob
cf.addict

Ah Well Now! Was bought as a backup PC. Windows 7 Run Perfectly for years...
Decided to try Win 10 to see if it would work on this PC. It's a tad slow at startup because I use a 1tb hdd. (no probs there) I'm not a complete duffer (only with some things) Both my PCs are Tweaked to my requirements, not microsofts. This Old PC with win 10 was Running Smoothly until a few updates ago. So in my minds eye it has to be one of the updates. (i could be wrong) but which one, God only knows. I been in Safemode too many times now n its nada nada nothing found. NO BLOATWARE in any of my PCs. Reason, if shop bought I wiope clean n start again. My other PC that Runs Win 7 is a Self Build so any bloatware on there is down to me. General Maximus---I always listen to those such as yourself who knows better than I. BUT, before i go buying any other Router I need to find the Culprit in this Win10 pc first. I don't like being defeated, which is reason I ask questions for help. Yesterday my "4 Port USB Gigabit Network Server" Stop working in my Win 7 PC, was OK in the old Win10 pc, Go figure. After messing around All day in Safe Mode etc. I got it to work again. Somehow the Windows Installer in Services was STOPPED. Go figure. I think I got a VOODO in my House. lol Thanks for the Help, Appreciated...I will let you know if I ever get to the bottom of the slow speed and if n when I buy a New Router. Will be the ASUS RT AC-68U AC1900. Take Care All.
Old 22-01-2019, 14:09   #37
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Have you run a speed test whilst in safe mode with networking? As Kushan says it's cleanest way to test.
Old 22-01-2019, 22:09   #38
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

And failing that why dont you just wipe it clean and put windows 7 back on or a clean copy of windows 10?

If a recent update was responsible you would be seeing it on the internet. I spent a lot of time googling for you the other day and nothing recent came up and definitely nothing attributed to windows updates.
Old 22-01-2019, 23:46   #39
copernob
cf.addict

Hi General...I did google n I did find a few who had slow speed. Some fixed it but the fix did not work for others. The fix did not work for me neither....I am going to check in my Services to see if something in ther says either manual & stopped or Dissabled. In my Win 7 PC My 4 port USB Gigabit Network Server refused to work until I found out why in Services...Then today (Tuesday) I was all day trying to log into my Dlink Sharecentre NAS box. It refused to accept my password. Took me nearly All day to find the culprit was the Internet Share in Services was also manual & Stopped....I got Ghosts I can tell you...Working a treat now. Thank You pip08456---Forgot to do that. Will check it in Safe Mode with Network tomorrow. Thanks...I only went into Safemode without internet. Silly me.
Old 22-01-2019, 23:55   #40
General Maximus
Ran Away

Wtf is a 4 port USB Gigabit Network Server?
Old 27-01-2019, 13:16   #41
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I'd love to see a basic network diagram of all devices you have on your network.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 13:49   #42
General Maximus
Ran Away

Me too because it is bugging me that you appear to want multiple devices and perhaps servers and dont think a proper router is necessary to solve simple problems.
Old 29-01-2019, 00:55   #43
copernob
cf.addict

Now Bear with me Please. I know hardly anything about Networking. If I did I would not be in here asking you questions that sound simple to you. They NOT simple to me.
The Network Server is a squarish box that has power and Ethernet port on top with an On/Off switch.( Ethernet connects to my Netgear 8 port switch. Cat 6 cable).Underneath you plug in 4 USB devices. On mine I got a Printer & 3 hard drives connected to it..That way I can see and connect to all on both my PCs but not at same time. Also my Laptop downstairs. I not sure if I need another Router, but if you say it would be better then I just might buy one. I can't post images in here as you not made it simple to do so like majority of other sites. NO I do not want to post elsewhere in order to post in here.

I would of thought you EggHeads would know what a 4 port USB Gigabit Network server was. This one bought at Maplins Yonks ago-- https://www.tesco.com/direct/maplin-...?source=others

Anyway, Everything works great on my Self Build Win7 PC. but slow internet on Win 10. I still think it is to do with a Win10 update. I Appreciate all the Help you are giving me. I will buy a Router when I decide which un is the best. This one--Linksys WRT1900ACS-UK AC1900 Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router
OR this one-- ASUS RT-AC86U Dual-Band AC2900 Wireless Gigabit Router . UNLESS you know better...
Old 29-01-2019, 09:17   #44
fenman35
cf.member

fenman35 is on a distinguished roadfenman35 is on a distinguished road

My speed tests for Virgin 100 BB has dropped since I changed from a Win 7 PC to a new Win 10 PC. Speed was regularly 105 on winn 7 now is 80 with win 10. Nothing else has changed.
fenman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 09:52   #45
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernob View Post
Everything works great on my Self Build Win7 PC. but slow internet on Win 10.
did you do the speed test in safe mode as Kush suggested? It is a 3 minute job.