Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IOS TV Control app - VERY SLOW

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

IOS TV Control app - VERY SLOW

Old 17-01-2019, 23:18   #1
Jacquesb
cf.addict

Services: VM phone , 2xV6 (Full house XL), ViViD200 Optical fibre BB. Stream - Netflix, iPlayer,
Jacquesb is an unknown quantity at this point
IOS TV Control app - VERY SLOW

I use the Virgin IOS TV Control app, which is extremely slow & very frustrating, especially on initial connection.

I have been using for some years (?) and I think it has really slowed down relatively recently. For me after about 20 seconds, a white band appears with the word “Connecting” on it and then after another 30-40 seconds, (and these times are typical for me) I will finally be able to see the TV Guide. From then on, it normally functions well and I find it very useful, whether at home or elsewhere.

At home, I have Vivid 200 Broadband, 2 x V6 boxes and I am using the app on an iPhone 6s Plus, which while not the latest & greatest, runs all other apps very quickly indeed so I don’t find the opening performance of this particular app acceptable. It doesn’t do Virgin Media and their customer satisfaction ratings any favours when it appears that this app is being neglected of performance and latest phone support updates.

Must do better!
Old 18-01-2019, 10:43   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: IOS TV Control app - VERY SLOW

This issue is well documented and discussed on the Virgin Media Community Forum.
It was the change to 5.7.6.RC20 software on V6 around six months ago which introduced the slow connection.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 11:10   #3
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
This issue is well documented and discussed on the Virgin Media Community Forum.
It was the change to 5.7.6.RC20 software on V6 around six months ago which introduced the slow connection.

Would you possibly have a link to this? TIA
Old 18-01-2019, 13:58   #4
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Here’s an example:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...t/td-p/3765398
Old 18-01-2019, 17:49   #5
Jacquesb
cf.addict

Services: VM phone , 2xV6 (Full house XL), ViViD200 Optical fibre BB. Stream - Netflix, iPlayer,
Jacquesb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Robbo.

Oh dear, I read through 6 pages of this from July last year - there are quite a few unhappy punters!
Old 30-01-2019, 13:09   #6
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

New version of app has been released for iOS at least in the past couple of days. Fixes the issue (or does in my case)

time for connection/tv guide to show is now approx 15 seconds

App version v4.4(1215101)
Old 30-01-2019, 13:17   #7
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
New version of app has been released for iOS at least in the past couple of days. Fixes the issue (or does in my case)

time for connection/tv guide to show is now approx 15 seconds

App version v4.4(1215101)
It should be much shorter than 15 seconds. It’s under 3 seconds in my experience.
Old 30-01-2019, 13:40   #8
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
It should be much shorter than 15 seconds. It’s under 3 seconds in my experience.

My V6 has seriously poor wifi connectivity, so it's on 100mb switch to very early Homeplugs which could be causing the delay...

Damn site better than the 40-60 seconds it used to be though
Old 30-01-2019, 13:51   #9
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
My V6 has seriously poor wifi connectivity, so it's on 100mb switch to very early Homeplugs which could be causing the delay...

Damn site better than the 40-60 seconds it used to be though
Yes, that would likely explain it. I have a rock solid 5GHz connection to V6 from Hub 3.0, always showing an 866 Mbps connection speed.
Old 30-01-2019, 15:10   #10
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Yes, that would likely explain it. I have a rock solid 5GHz connection to V6 from Hub 3.0, always showing an 866 Mbps connection speed.
Yup... my router is approx 50 metres away from my v6... Mesh WiFI is going to be the way to go if i can convince the wife to let me spend the money
Old 30-01-2019, 20:28   #11
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
My connection (iPad to V6) is also under 3 seconds.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote