Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Central Gets Lost!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Central Gets Lost!

Old 25-02-2007, 03:26   #1
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all
Virgin Central Gets Lost!

Quote:
Virgin Media will fire another salvo in its bitter battle with rival pay-TV group BSkyB tomorrow when it unveils a deal to screen episodes of Lost, the hit US show, on its video-on-demand channel.
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...020565,00.html

OK we have to wait till August but hey - lets celebrate a nice broadside to Sky!
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2007, 03:30   #2
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Central Gets Lost, 24 and Simpsons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post

OK we have to wait till August but hey - lets celebrate a nice broadside to Sky!
The article says NOTHING AT ALL about 24 and The Simpsons coming to Virgin!

Lost, on the other hand....
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 03:38   #3
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Central Gets Lost, 24 and Simpsons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Howell View Post
The article says NOTHING AT ALL about 24 and The Simpsons coming to Virgin!

Lost, on the other hand....
Whoops - I can't amend the title of the thread either! Could a moderator help out?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 09:41   #4
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Central Gets Lost!

Done.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 11:30   #5
arcamalpha2004

Quote:

If people are willing to wait to get a product that is old anyway on a vod system that is at the best times unreliable then ok.
If there are die hard fans of said series, dont they want to see it as soon as it is aired?
Old 25-02-2007, 11:52   #6
Longshot520
Inactive

Longshot520 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having to wait until August is better than not getting it at all once Sky One goes I guess.. All we need now is Battlestar Galactica (but I can wait for that as I havent got round to watching my season 2 DVD yet) and 24.
Longshot520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 11:57   #7
ClearBlueSky
Inactive

ClearBlueSky is an unknown quantity at this point

From the same article....

Quote:
Under the terms of Virgin's agreement with ABC, it will make all three series of Lost available to viewers, who can already download a selection of drama, comedy and entertainment shows for a one-off fee. But they will have to wait until August to see the current series. Fans who want to watch it now will have to subscribe to Sky.
Most fans won't want to wait I'm afraid - and there is no good reason why they should have to. Virgin are once again playing the PR game, acting as if they are the injured party and pretending they are fighting for their customers. Hmmmmmm

Virgin customers aren't getting the TV content they've paid for. Instead, they fund the Branson personality cult and Virgin Media's shiny red brochures. At least Sky invest in programming whereas Virgin seem to be more worried about rebranding NTL.

The situation is hotting up though. Sky have put together a package for unhappy Virgin customers whilst Virgin have launched Virgin Central.

<mod edit: Chris W> link removed- it is not necessary to link to Sky's sales site in so many of your posts- if people want to visit the site, they know where to find it.
ClearBlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 12:01   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

CBS, I make this the third time in fifteen hours you have posted that link to Sky sales - are you on commission?

btw, I am sure Sky would never do anything like Virgin have done regarding trademarks.

Oops, what's this?
Tata
Notice is hereby given that BSKYB claims all rights to the above trademarks including in respect of diverse goods and services including in particularcable services including broadcasting and direct to home (DTH) services in India and reserves the right to initiate appropriate legal action against any person found using the aforesaid trade mark(s) or any other trade mark(s) which is similar.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 12:15   #9
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearBlueSky View Post
From the same article....

Most fans won't want to wait I'm afraid - and there is no good reason why they should have to. Virgin are once again playing the PR game, acting as if they are the injured party and pretending they are fighting for their customers. Hmmmmmm

Virgin customers aren't getting the TV content they've paid for. Instead, they fund the Branson personality cult and Virgin Media's shiny red brochures. At least Sky invest in programming whereas Virgin seem to be more worried about rebranding NTL.

The situation is hotting up though. Sky have put together a package for unhappy Virgin customers whilst Virgin have launched Virgin Central.

Umm fact is though, with things like Lost is that the companys have to bid for the "license" to Broadcast the show and Sky grabbed that license if you want to call it that before the Virgin thing ever got moving.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 12:19   #10
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
CBS, I make this the third time in fifteen hours you have posted that link to Sky sales - are you on commission?

btw, I am sure Sky would never do anything like Virgin have done regarding trademarks.

Oops, what's this?
Tata
Notice is hereby given that BSKYB claims all rights to the above trademarks including in respect of diverse goods and services including in particularcable services including broadcasting and direct to home (DTH) services in India and reserves the right to initiate appropriate legal action against any person found using the aforesaid trade mark(s) or any other trade mark(s) which is similar.
Sorry, but if you read more closely, TATA Sky is a joint venture with Newscorp(India).
Old 25-02-2007, 12:20   #11
NickSCFC
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV, Virgin Broadband, Virgin Phone
NickSCFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Meh, Sky One will still be showing the episodes atleast a year before V Central, I bet even Channel 4 or whatever will be showing them before V Central too!
NickSCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 12:36   #12
freakgirl
Inactive

Services: ntl digital/broadband
freakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to freakgirl

Sorry not good enough they'd have to show them now for that to mean anything
freakgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 12:43   #13
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

It's sort of good news about Lost, but i think Virgin need some shows that are very good and are to be shown on Virgin only. Some shows that will make people want cable tv and couldn't do without it.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 12:50   #14
Tech_Boy
Inactive

Services: Inhumations, for the right price
Tech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpack

Oh well, the channel seemed to be shaping up so well, and now they are going to be showing Lost.
To quote 12noon "It's sort of good news about Lost, but i think Virgin need some shows that are very good"

Sorry 12noon, out of context I know, but I still can't belive that people get so worked up about a TV show.
Tech_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 12:57   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
Sorry, but if you read more closely, TATA Sky is a joint venture with Newscorp(India).
John, thanks for that - I had read it, and found it amusing that, and I quote "British Sky Broadcasting Group has issued a caution notice" on a company that Newcorp(India) had a stake in.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote