Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stuttering, faltering, stopping

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Disk usage

Old 22-10-2018, 12:50   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Disk usage

Hot on the heels of finding that Yellow Button For Channel's +1 Version shortcut the other day I've found something else by accident.

Maybe it's been there for ages but since people keep arguing how much space recordings take up on their VM Tivos I think it's not well known.

To find out how much space recordings take on your VM Tivo V6 (not sure about old VM Tivos but probably the same I'd guess):

My Shows>Select Show You Want & Press OK>Press INFO > Scroll Right Down To Bottom (as all those I've tried have been off screen bottom) and right below "Categories" is "Disk Usage".

It reads like Disk Usage: Less than 1% (4.58GB)
The above example is for a 1h30 film in HD on Film4
Another example says less than 1% (1.71GB) and was for a 1h55 animé film on Vice channel.

Anyway, hope this helps everyone.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-10-2018, 16:55   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Disk usage

1%

Mine is at 45% !!
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 17:47   #3
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

The only thing you need to know is the total %age used.
Old 22-10-2018, 19:18   #4
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Hot on the heels of finding that Yellow Button For Channel's +1 Version shortcut the other day I've found something else by accident.

Maybe it's been there for ages but since people keep arguing how much space recordings take up on their VM Tivos I think it's not well known.

To find out how much space recordings take on your VM Tivo V6 (not sure about old VM Tivos but probably the same I'd guess):

My Shows>Select Show You Want & Press OK>Press INFO > Scroll Right Down To Bottom (as all those I've tried have been off screen bottom) and right below "Categories" is "Disk Usage".

It reads like Disk Usage: Less than 1% (4.58GB)
The above example is for a 1h30 film in HD on Film4
Another example says less than 1% (1.71GB) and was for a 1h55 animé film on Vice channel.

Anyway, hope this helps everyone.
Thanks for that

Tried it on a BTsports4K recording of a rugby match - 2hrs 45mins recording = 4%
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 22:10   #5
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Saturday's football on BTsp4K

3.5 hours recording, 5% 41GB

These figures back up my assertions (denied by others) in a different thread.
Old 28-10-2018, 15:29   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

My own guestimate is that a 4K recording takes up about 4 times that of an SD recording and an HD recording about twice the amount of an SD recording.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 17:08   #7
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
My own guestimate is that a 4K recording takes up about 4 times that of an SD recording and an HD recording about twice the amount of an SD recording.

More like 4K takes 4 x that of HD.

I expect a HD recording takes 2x that of SD (not entirely sure as I never watch SD)
Old 28-10-2018, 18:04   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Cheers, that explains why UHD recordings use up so much space then.

I thought that it would be less than that as the UHD channels use HEVC, which is more efficient than the MPEG4 that HD channels use on VM.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 19:17   #9
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

It's already been covered in another post - but roughly on average the video on Virgin's HD channels broadcast at 6MB/sec, the Virgin 4K channel averages about 24 Mb/sec and BT Sport 4K is fixed at 27.3MB/sec.

SD averages vary from anything between 1.2 Mb/sec to almost 8 Mb/sec for Sky Sports SD versions.

I'm unsure what assertions Raider999 is alluding to, but the obvious problem is that the percentage on a 1Tb disk has a huge margin of error from rounding.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=2182

My calculation gave 24.34GB for 2 hours. Multiplied by 1.75 gives 42.5GB. I accept my calculation is for video only (audio is 448kb/sec), and it isn't clear whether Virgin's software defines a megabyte as a million bytes or 1024*1024 bytes.

What Virgin haven't really tested is the lower limit of broadcast 4K as there's been no need to due to the ample capacity they have to maintain high bitrate 4K broadcasts.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 19:50   #10
Raider999
cf.mega poster

My assertions that a UHD recording of around 3.5 hrs would occupy approx 5% of disk space.

Others disagreed and said it was a much lower figure.

The discovery of the mechanism of obtaining the disk usage as a Gb and a %age used supports my original posts
Old 28-10-2018, 20:05   #11
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Well another user was using another channel with a 10% lower bitrate, and their upper guess was approx 10GB per hour which does roughly stand up using that channel.

I'd be interested to see what the lower and upper limits of 5% are, because multiplied by 20 the total margin of error could be 200GB, or 20% of the disk space.
Old 29-10-2018, 16:11   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
1%

Mine is at 45% !!
That means the film is occupying 1% of the disk, not all the shows and films that have been recording.

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Not necessarily. It can help to know how much space an individual recording is taking up if you are prioritising what you can delete so you can fit the latest showing of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on the Tivo (or another large thing).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 18:14   #13
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post

Actually that is not true.

Knowing the amount of disk space each recording is likely to use combined with the amount available enables you to decide what you can or cannot record.

When you are going away for a few days this is particularly important.

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Well another user was using another channel with a 10% lower bitrate, and their upper guess was approx 10GB per hour which does roughly stand up using that channel.

I'd be interested to see what the lower and upper limits of 5% are, because multiplied by 20 the total margin of error could be 200GB, or 20% of the disk space.
I have always said I was recording from BT4K channel

I would have thought that anything from 4.50 to 5.49 would be shown as 5 (general mathematics) however that may not be the case.

With disk sizes such as 1Tb and above it would be good to have these %ages given to 1 decimal place.

I would also like to know if the whole 1Tb is available for recording or if, as I suspect, some is used to store the EPG and software (if so how much) - someone must know the answer to this!
Old 29-10-2018, 19:04   #14
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I would also like to know if the whole 1Tb is available for recording or if, as I suspect, some is used to store the EPG and software (if so how much) - someone must know the answer to this!
874GB is available according to this. But that's only based on a sample of one.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 19:20   #15
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Raider999 my point wasn’t to prove you right or wrong, but to the lay person who believed that their experience with Virgin’s UHD channel would be representative they weren’t being dismissive of your point.

Mathematically it’s irrelevant if 4.01 rounds up to 5, or 4.50 to 5.49 rounds to 5. The margin of error is still the same (1% wide). It’s only in one direction if solely rounding up tho.