Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 17-02-2012, 14:07   #931
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

The "anomaly" is part of how VM cable works unfortunately, upstream bandwidth requests are basically a CSMA free for all and VM don't use any of the fixed timeslots or QoS or guaranteed latency features that have existed since DOCSIS 1.1
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2012, 14:20   #932
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

is there downsides to those features?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 14:23   #933
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Takes money and brains to implement?
Old 17-02-2012, 14:24   #934
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

may be because every man and his dog was more interested in free [Mod Edit] thats VM employees included even if they get decent deals. no one gave a toss. and heres a fact.. those in director positions didnt have a clue how bad it was which either meams their thick.. which i doubt.. turnt the other way which i doubt too or fed [Mod Edit]. which i think was the case. this is what i meant by getting rid of clones etc. then VM able to get somewhere positive. anyway with that off my chest... qas can they, VM improve latency etc? capacity is one thing thats obviously going to help but additional technologies.. would it cost them much to put such technology to good use?

also cabinet side.. i know therres the old old csbs that need upgrading but the newish ones? could they be upgraded to a better standard without fibre pulls?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 14:25   #935
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Takes money and brains to implement?
nuff said I guess
Old 17-02-2012, 16:00   #936
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
qas can they, VM improve latency etc? capacity is one thing thats obviously going to help but additional technologies.. would it cost them much to put such technology to good use?
They certainly can, and they are doing a few things to do so (upstream bonding for example, has been in the works for over a year now). As I say guaranteed QoS has been incorporated in the standard since DOCSIS 1.1 so it's easily possible. But it has implications for what VM sells and how they market their product.

Part of the problem is competition, BT's massive upload ratio has pushed VM to improve their upstreams (remember the 33:1 ratio on 50mb?) and this push is straining the network as VM has historically had pretty crap return paths in some areas. Cable networks were never built to take data, they were initially intended for one-way analogue TV. But if it weren't for competition we'd probably still be languishing on 30:1 download to upload ratios or worse.

Quote:
also cabinet side.. i know therres the old old csbs that need upgrading but the newish ones? could they be upgraded to a better standard without fibre pulls?
I couldn't say as I know very little about VM's cabinet infrastructure. For the most part the HFC network is using very little of it's theoretical capacity. It's more stuff in the middle than the cabinets themselves. And optical nodes.
Old 23-02-2012, 10:46   #937
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

What's happened here? Has the torrent freak finally downloaded all of the internet? Filled his hard drives? Suffering from ******s cramp?

Who knows. Whatever it is my TBB graphs are looking a lot better. I may even consider upping to 30Mbps so long as it's free (only a profile change when I downgraded so that's all it will be to upgrade).

kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 11:31   #938
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

that graph still looks dodgy, just isnt as extreme.
Old 23-02-2012, 14:19   #939
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Well it's a fairly big improvement on this one from 5th...

I'll see how things go. Right now I could get faster ADSL though as even with the fault it was doing ~ 15Mbps or so iirc.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 16:20   #940
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Depends on your definition of extreme. My guess would suggest the one from the 5th shows severe upstream congestion and a moderate amount of downstream. The current one just shows lots of downstream with not too bad upstream.
Old 23-02-2012, 16:41   #941
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Is it any wonder I'm leaving? And Kwikbreaks, muchos LOL at your cramp comment!
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 17:25   #942
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
What's happened here? Has the torrent freak finally downloaded all of the internet? Filled his hard drives? Suffering from ******s cramp?
When suffering from said cramp I tend to download more, not less. Odd huh?

I'm tempted to keep my VM line running for another couple months just to see how it goes once the upstream and downstream upgrades are done. So far the last 15 months of upgrades have given me a connection that's now 4 times slower than it was a year ago, another month won't hurt my wallet too bad.
Old 23-02-2012, 19:18   #943
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

Mines looking more legit now
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 23:29   #944
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 01:49   #945
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

I love the smell of jitter in the morning.

Or not!
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote