Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 09-04-2011, 15:02   #241
jcw00
cf.addict

jcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Tech View Post
Are you sure nothing is running on your network, jcw00?
Only vonage, but we dont make that many calls.
jcw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2011, 17:39   #242
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

Hmm, might be an idea to try turn it off for the night or something?
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:31   #243
apcyberax
Inactive

apcyberax is an unknown quantity at this point

mine but things to remember. the ping is coming from outside the uk so it will add time to the pings. times so 50ms look like but its really not

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

Sorry i was wrong looks like it is in the UK
apcyberax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 14:30   #244
Bullstein
Inactive

Bullstein is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why the line appears unstable, I'm not using the Internet all day and at times the ping is low and stable then periods where it jumps up and down to 60ms

Virgin 50MB with modem and Netgear WNDR3700
Bullstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 14:52   #245
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullstein View Post

I don't know why the line appears unstable, I'm not using the Internet all day and at times the ping is low and stable then periods where it jumps up and down to 60ms

Virgin 50MB with modem and Netgear WNDR3700
other users on the same channel
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 16:34   #246
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Mine for today. Same as usual.
Old 10-04-2011, 20:49   #247
Minichip
Inactive

Minichip is an unknown quantity at this point

Like this for 3.5 months......

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...0-04-2011.html
Minichip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 21:46   #248
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minichip View Post
Is that daily or just weekends? Weekends would be bad enough but if it's daily as well!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 21:59   #249
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

I think that graph is a bit suspect pip, surely if it were that bad you'd expect see shed loads of packet loss
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 22:22   #250
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Hmm.

If it's not you caning your service I'd check your wireless network out. That's heavy utilisation on your modem not a VM problem.

Note how there's no ramp up of the pings as is normally seen when there's oversubscription, just an instant jump from ok to awful. Dire readout is just a click of the download/upload button away from the fine one.

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Roll on the network upgrades in this area.

Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 23:00   #251
Minichip
Inactive

Minichip is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a true status of my 50mb connection, i have been going on at Vm since mid Dec.. had 7 engineers visit, 3 of these by senior engineers, they swapped me out to super hub (and changed it 3 times), replaced my underground cable 4 weeks ago, its got worse, tonight on speedtest 1.5mb down !!!, the last visit from senior tech said nothing we can do wait for firmware upgrade on super hub... I am giving up, I have took off 9 days for visits, 2 nobody turned up!!, sick of talking to india as they go through the same checks all the time then send an engineer out, I have some recordings of the conversations I had (my answer phone records all tel: .... so chaps any ideas where I go from here..

This was yesterday http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...9-04-2011.html

Last Monday http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...4-04-2011.html

this is the day I installed the thinkbroadband etc : http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...9-03-2011.html

any ideas what I do now, only on 2 occasions on 35 tel: calls did I get to speak to anyone in the uk and guess what they did , promised me to transfer to someone in uk and bump back in india.( i dont mean to say anything about the techs in india, as front line they are good, but once it isnt on there screens , they cannot do anything else but send a tech out, very very frustrating)
All recorded!!!!!

sorry chaps , the wireless is turned off and all other settings are directed by techs.
Minichip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:12   #252
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
This is a true status of my 50mb connection, i have been going on at Vm since mid Dec.. had 7 engineers visit, 3 of these by senior engineers, they swapped me out to super hub (and changed it 3 times), replaced my underground cable 4 weeks ago, its got worse, tonight on speedtest 1.5mb down !!!, the last visit from senior tech said nothing we can do wait for firmware upgrade on super hub... I am giving up, I have took off 9 days for visits, 2 nobody turned up!!, sick of talking to india as they go through the same checks all the time then send an engineer out, I have some recordings of the conversations I had (my answer phone records all tel: .... so chaps any ideas where I go from here..

This was yesterday http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...9-04-2011.html

Last Monday http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...4-04-2011.html

this is the day I installed the thinkbroadband etc : http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...9-03-2011.html

any ideas what I do now, only on 2 occasions on 35 tel: calls did I get to speak to anyone in the uk and guess what they did , promised me to transfer to someone in uk and bump back in india.( i dont mean to say anything about the techs in india, as front line they are good, but once it isnt on there screens , they cannot do anything else but send a tech out, very very frustrating)
All recorded!!!!!

sorry chaps , the wireless is turned off and all other settings are directed by techs.
The best advice is fire off an email to the CEO of Vm, showing detailed evidence of your issues to the address below.

neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk

Fingers crossed one of the office staff should pick it up get in contact pretty sharpish.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 22:16   #253
rwbarrett
Inactive

rwbarrett is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm very jealous of most of the graphs in this thread. Virgin tell me their numbers say theres no problem with my connection.

decide for yourself after looking at my thinkbroadband chart below -

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
rwbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 22:20   #254
Neo-Tech
Inactive

I can relate to your first TBB. Mine a few months ago.

After complaining, it's this now:

Although I'm not on that network anymore. lol

Here's mine:

Red line is me changing settings.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:18   #255
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

interesting changes on how superhub acts to vmng300.

here is last mondays superhub graph. Note the average jitter increases a bit during peak, but the yellow spikes never go very high. But they also never go low either.

here is my vmng300 from monday (partial). The yellow spikes on it noticebly higher however also drops to low levels, the average jitter is noticebly lower.

My actual performance still has much less jitter and laggyness so I am assuming the reason for the yellow jumping up and down on the vmng300's is a prioritisation system it has on packets, if its too busy it delays the responses. Although I dont think thats the explanation for the 9pm spike. So the superhub graph probably looks overall cleaner due to the missing spikes but I would say the thinner blue line means more and the fact my usage and pingtest.net show very low jitter. 9pm could have simply been congestion since its in the middle of peak but I have not had the superhub do that for weeks.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote