Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 06-04-2011, 22:03   #226
capt coax
Inactive

Services: 100megabit bb tv m phone xl freesat freeview and farts in jars
capt coax is on a distinguished roadcapt coax is on a distinguished road
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

My Broadband Ping

not bad for a weeknight
capt coax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2011, 22:43   #227
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

It's not my 100Mb as my IP stayed the same when I downgraded to 50Mb so I didn't see any need to change it.

Compares well with this.

pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:59   #228
jcw00
cf.addict

jcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
that looks a bit weird, those spikes in such even intervals
Now if I had a "samknows network speed test router" it could explain the spikes, but I can't confirm this.
jcw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 18:03   #229
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
try getting through to UK tomorrow, iv only had one dealing with offshore and it went considerably well. my downstream power levels were well out of spec so she picked it up straight away and booked me an engineer

Just got off the phone with my contact at the CEO's office, he has finally managed to spot the upstream SNR/noise issue on his system which is causing the modulation to revert to QPSK instead of Qam16, so I asked "shouldn't it be classed as an outage then if the upstream does this"(as I vaguely recollect Igni quoting it should do), to which he agreed it should be so fingers crossed investigations may start to finally uncover the cause.

Its probably not going to be an easy fix though but there maybe a shimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, I'm not getting a semi on just yet though.

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable can explain how QPSK modulation would/could go undetected on the docsis 3 platform?

You watch this will all get sorted just in time for Sky to install their BB on the 14th of this month
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 18:06   #230
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

@jcw00 Wow, if you remove those spikes from the graph, you probably have the best VM connection in the UK.
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 18:30   #231
jcw00
cf.addict

jcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Tech View Post
@jcw00 Wow, if you remove those spikes from the graph, you probably have the best VM connection in the UK.
I will post a new graph in the next 24 hours.
Old 07-04-2011, 23:03   #232
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I will post a new graph in the next 24 hours.
BTW the Samknows monitor wouldn't cause spikes like that. I know, I have one.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 18:24   #233
jcw00
cf.addict

Quote:
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

No real difference.
Old 08-04-2011, 19:26   #234
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
BTW the Samknows monitor wouldn't cause spikes like that. I know, I have one.
Prepare for enlightenment then….

My Broadband Ping

Along with some upstream saturation due Backup & Storage (aka Vstuff) tests….
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 20:37   #235
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

Are you sure nothing is running on your network, jcw00?
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:36   #236
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I just don't use thinkbroadband for any kind of testing. Although thinkbroadband is ostensibly geared up for 200Mb testing, forinstance, and their ping test is via the same uncongested network as their speed test, their connection to the VM network is very poor. They say they have complained to VM about this, but VM have done nothing. So, their speed test and ping test results probably aren't even worth us discussing if we are on VM.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

This result I get day or night with hardly any variation. Who needs Thinkbroadband right now?
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:14   #237
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

So explain to me why I get so much trouble with my work VOIP phone and gaming?

It has to be down to this.

So why do VM 'off shore' ask you for the speedtest and pingtest results. One of them actually asked me to got to these sites to test and asked for my results during trouble shooting.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 13:05   #238
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I just don't use thinkbroadband for any kind of testing. Although thinkbroadband is ostensibly geared up for 200Mb testing, forinstance, and their ping test is via the same uncongested network as their speed test, their connection to the VM network is very poor. They say they have complained to VM about this, but VM have done nothing. So, their speed test and ping test results probably aren't even worth us discussing if we are on VM.

This result I get day or night with hardly any variation. Who needs Thinkbroadband right now?
their pings are fine, its their speedtest. Few points I will make here which were made open after alot of pushing from myself and someone else.

1 - ncuk peer over linx on 2 networks, as well as lonap. ncuk host tbb. VM dont peer over lonap so that leaves linx or external transit, ncuk send traffic to VM over linx. Since tbb intially blamed vM they would appear to be saying VM's linx link is congested however ping graphs and other traffic going over linx doesnt back this claim up.
2 - after the pushing it became apparent the bulk of the speedtest issues were down to one of the tbb speedtest server's, when this was bypassed speed's shot up although some issues remained they were much less severe.

Ultimately using the tbb monitor is just a test between 2 end points, so it may not truly reflect generic performance on the connection, but I would say most of the time it should give a reasonable picture of whats going on.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 13:50   #239
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Thanks for the info Crysalis. That was enlightening.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 14:12   #240
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
their pings are fine, its their speedtest. Few points I will make here which were made open after alot of pushing from myself and someone else.

1 - ncuk peer over linx on 2 networks, as well as lonap. ncuk host tbb. VM dont peer over lonap so that leaves linx or external transit, ncuk send traffic to VM over linx. Since tbb intially blamed vM they would appear to be saying VM's linx link is congested however ping graphs and other traffic going over linx doesnt back this claim up.
2 - after the pushing it became apparent the bulk of the speedtest issues were down to one of the tbb speedtest server's, when this was bypassed speed's shot up although some issues remained they were much less severe.

Ultimately using the tbb monitor is just a test between 2 end points, so it may not truly reflect generic performance on the connection, but I would say most of the time it should give a reasonable picture of whats going on.
I would also agree with you Chrys,

From the evidence shown from my TBB results VM have managed to finally track down specific times when my modulation is currently switching from 16Qam to QPSK, the TBB monitor clearly shows the point at which my connection becomes cronically saturated due to the reduced bandwidth available when the modulation switches to QPSK.

So for this instance I've found it a very usefull tool.

However what the TBB results dont and cant show is when the actual switch from different modulations take place, just when the connection is busy enough to saturate the reduced bandwidth. Either way it's handy to give them a rough time slot for them to check on their diagnostic equipment.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote