Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Join me?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Join me?
Closed Thread

Old 19-08-2003, 08:05   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Join me?

Anyone else find this just slightly sinister?

http://www.join-me.co.uk/

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2003, 08:09   #2
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age
AFAIKR this was on the telly a while back.

The group gave money to an old fella etc.

Not sinister at all, heck I'd have thought you of all people would be able to recognise when someone is doing good.
Its like a group of good Samaritans working on Fridays only..
Old 19-08-2003, 08:13   #3
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
I don't have a problem with people doing good, I'm more concerned with the notion that people seem to need to involved in an organised group before they will do good deeds. Surely we should be doing 'good' as part of our everyday life instead of joining up to some passing fad?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 19-08-2003, 08:43   #4
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age
Don't knock it...
At least they are doing good on a regular basis be it within the group or not.
What good deed did you do today? I helped a young mum with her pushchair off of the bus. (I cant understand why she kept complaining, saying she wanted to go on another 5 stops though? ) I wonder if I should join up..lol

What about the fella who's "car broke down" NOT... now that one is weird, I bet he's still at it.
Old 19-08-2003, 08:59   #5
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Quote:
Originally posted by zoombini

What good deed did you do today?
It's not about who's done the most good deeds, it's about people seemingly only making an effort to do so since joining this group.

As a society we should be doing good deeds as part of our everyday culture.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 19-08-2003, 09:02   #6
grum1978
Inactive

grum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to grum1978
I agree with you Russ How many of us can say that we do a good deed every day?
Old 19-08-2003, 10:13   #7
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ D
As a society we should be doing good deeds as part of our everyday culture.
I would agree, but we live in a very cynical world. Good deeds can be seen very differently by the recipient.

Forums like this are great for the 'Good Deeds', it anonymous (to a degree) and allows people to try and help if they can.

It's my belief that most people are good, and will try and help. It's the thought of doing good deeds in real life that cause so many people problems, purely because they don't know what the reaction is going to be.

Certain professions etc can get away with it ... Police, Amublance, Girls Brigade, St Johns Ambulance, Scouts etc, because we've always been brought up to belive in a trust these organisations.

Just do your best, someone will appreciate it, even if it is just you.
Old 19-08-2003, 10:15   #8
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
I see what you're saying but I think you're missing the point. People appear to do good in this 'Join me' group because it's a fad, or 'fashion'. Doing good should come from the heart, not because it's the latest 'in thing'.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 19-08-2003, 11:45   #9
zoombini
Inactive

Quote:
Originally posted by grum1978
I agree with you Russ How many of us can say that we do a good deed every day?
I can say that I "try" to do a good deed every day.

Quite often I do.

I have made a promise to do a good deed every day...
(about the only 1 I have kept).

it takes no special training, tools or knowledge.
It costs me nothing.

I am not in any special club just to do them.
(However I am in the Scout organisation where I made the promise).

However, not everyone has similar incentives to do good deeds.
Many people have very busy lives, where going out of their way to do a good deed is not always possible.
Joining this group (I will not use the word "cult") helps them to achieve this as it gives them a definate goal to do so.

Not everyone is religious and feels the need to do good deeds in that way.
Old 19-08-2003, 11:53   #10
Nemesis
Inactive

Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Quote:
(However I am in the Scout organisation where I made the promise).
Hello Fellow scouter,

Nemesis

BSL, DBSL
Old 19-08-2003, 11:55   #11
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Quote:
Not everyone is religious and feels the need to do good deeds in that way.
Doing a good deed should have nothing to do with religion or organisation.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 19-08-2003, 12:06   #12
Nemesis
Inactive

Quote:
I would agree, but it is based on how you are brought up, the enviroment you live in.

Being generous with your time/money/etc is not a natural instinct.

Indeed the natural instinct is quite the opposite, to keep what you have and guard it, look upon others as a threat.
Old 19-08-2003, 12:11   #13
grum1978
Inactive

grum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to grum1978
Quote:
Agreed but isn't it better that people do the good deeds albeit with other people in an organisation rather than doing none at all?
Old 19-08-2003, 12:14   #14
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Quote:
Originally posted by grum1978
Agreed but isn't it better that people do the good deeds albeit with other people in an organisation rather than doing none at all?
That's going off the point...I suppose a good deed is a good deed no matter how you look at it, but when it's done "because that's what people in this gang do", the intention is then shifted from sincerity to conformity.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 19-08-2003, 12:19   #15
Nemesis
Inactive

or the mentality that they have done a good deed by way of association ...
Closed Thread