Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving house gives a new contract?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Billing Issues

Moving house gives a new contract?

Old 04-11-2021, 20:12   #1
horrorwood
cf.member

horrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about them
Moving house gives a new contract?

Hi,

Thought I'd post here and see if I am going mad. I am in contact with VM via their forum but I am getting nowhere. I thought it would be quite easy as there seems to be a lot of people with this issue.

I moved house, my VM equipment worked fine after moving. It was a last minute rush as I wanted to avoid stamp duty, so I hadn't told them I'd moved until the day I actually moved.

Anyway, despite it working (most likely because I didn't move far) they said I had to have an engineer out and pay £20. Fine, I did that. He came, said "that was easy" and went on his way after checking signal/power levels etc.

Now I appear to have a new contract, with an end date in 2023 instead of in 3 months. I have not changed package.

They also seem to have changed my customer/account number.

If I login to my VM account I can click previous contracts and it actually shows the name of what I assume was someone that lived here previously (not me!) on a previous contract.

I am currently speaking to someone via VM forums and he is telling me it is correct. However the contract I can see says I'll be penalised if I leave before 4th April 2023 and obviously my discount ends January 2022, which would really suck.

My original contract says it ends 29th January 2022.

Anyway, surely moving house should not give you a new customer number/contract if you do not change package?
horrorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2021, 20:16   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Moving house gives a new contract?

Moving house normally involves a new contract with most ISP's.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 20:19   #3
horrorwood
cf.member

horrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Moving house normally involves a new contract with most ISP's.
Which would be fair if they said that, but that is not what they are telling me and their T&C's do not state that either.
Old 04-11-2021, 20:33   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorwood View Post
Which would be fair if they said that, but that is not what they are telling me and their T&C's do not state that either.
Looks like with VM it's different.

Section O para 5 should apply here.

Quote:
5. Where we have agreed with you to continue providing the same services that you received at your current address to your new address and this is during any minimum period, then that minimum period will continue at your new address (for example, where your services are on a 12 month minimum period, if you move during month 7 of your minimum period, the remaining 5 months of your minimum period will apply for those same services being provided at your new address). Where we have agreed with you to change the services you receive at your new address then a new minimum period may apply for those services and the service start date for that new minimum period will be the date that the equipment is installed at your new address.
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the...ices#agreement

I suggest you take it up on the VM forum rather than bother with off shore.
Old 04-11-2021, 20:36   #5
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Perhaps the OP should have used the correct movers process, rather than wrongly just taking the equipment to the new location.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/moving-home
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/moving-home-faqs
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 20:41   #6
horrorwood
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Perhaps the OP should have used the correct movers process, rather than wrongly just taking the equipment to the new location.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/moving-home
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/moving-home-faqs
I did use that process, just after I moved house.

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Looks like with VM it's different.

Section O para 5 should apply here.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the...ices#agreement

I suggest you take it up on the VM forum rather than bother with off shore.
Your quote confirms my expectation not yours?

The contract continues if you do not change package. You do not start a new contract if you move house.
Old 04-11-2021, 20:41   #7
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

You didn’t follow it at the right time.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 20:43   #8
horrorwood
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
You didn’t follow it at the right time.
That makes zero difference.
Old 04-11-2021, 20:56   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorwood View Post
I did use that process, just after I moved house.

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Your quote confirms my expectation not yours?

The contract continues if you do not change package. You do not start a new contract if you move house.
Yes.
Old 04-11-2021, 23:02   #10
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Virgin love getting customers on a new contract and will try all the tricks to do it. However they actually slipped up with me on my last deal and never issued a new contract and have even sent me mail saying I am not in contract. My deal is great so have no intention ending till the end but was surprised
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 19:47   #11
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

If moving house started a new contract. You should be able to end at any time if you are moving. not every home has VM. what happens then?
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 21:38   #12
horrorwood
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
If moving house started a new contract. You should be able to end at any time if you are moving. not every home has VM. what happens then?
You have pay the rest of your contract, otherwise you'll get everyone saying they are moving house when they want to leave early.

Anyway as for my situation...

Apparently my contract end date is still correct and I should ignore the text on my contract..

Moving house changes your customer number, customer numbers are linked to each property, not to each customer. That makes zero sense to me but there you go.