Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coventry joins the Gigabit Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Coventry joins the Gigabit Club.

Old 25-04-2018, 21:33   #1
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Coventry joins the Gigabit Club.

Vodafone and CityFibre have announced that Coventry businesses and residences are all to be wired up to a gigabit-capable network, thus joining three other cities in their Ultra-fast national project.

I do wonder how this will interface with Virgin Medi'a existing network. VM already has extensive cable networks in the city and is currently installing FTTP over much of the south of the city. Their mini-trenches abound. Will a completely new fibre network be laid alongside existing fibre and cable or will Virgin areas missed out because they already offer ultra-fast down speeds.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...wsApp_AppShare

Last edited by roughbeast; 25-04-2018 at 21:36.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2018, 21:36   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Coventry joins the Gigabit Club.

Why would a business network effect a residential one?

Chalk and cheese.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 21:42   #3
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Why would a business network effect a residential one?

Chalk and cheese.
... because the new network is for residential and business users. Every business and residence is getting FTTP. I'm just wondering if they might skip ultra-fast enabled areas.
Old 25-04-2018, 21:48   #4
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
... because the new network is for residential and business users. Every business and residence is getting FTTP. I'm just wondering if they might skip ultra-fast enabled areas.

They will be building to compete but some parts may be missed for cost reasons.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 00:48   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Sorry, misread it. so much for speed reading. Or did you add residences in your edit?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 08:18   #6
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Why is this Virgin media internet service info?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 19:01   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah I don't understand either. Vodafone has got nothing to do with VM so if they are building their own gigabit network they aren't going to be selective and missing out VM serviced premises because that means all the VM customers wouldn't be able to subscribe and Vodafone will automatically be cutting off 50% of their potential customer base before they even open up to subscriptions.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 22:15   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Moved to appropriate section.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 00:28   #9
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Moved to appropriate section.
I put under Virgin Media section because this was direct competition to VM. Anyway it's here now.
Old 14-05-2018, 15:13   #10
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Presumably Vodafone won't be offering TV services on 1550nm. Technically it could coexist with GPON but they probably wouldn't get exclusivity of that spectrum on cityfibre's network for that usage.

Last edited by Onramp; 14-05-2018 at 15:39.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:50   #11
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
Presumably Vodafone won't be offering TV services on 1550nm. Technically it could coexist with GPON but they probably wouldn't get exclusivity of that spectrum on cityfibre's network for that usage.
I don't think Vodaphone have any plans for TV anyway. As far as Coventry City Council and the business community are concerned, this is all about broadband. The residential customer will have an interesting choice though.

The residential customer may want the potential for a symmetrical connection of up to 1Gb, but also top-notch TV. In my case I would want a Virgin or Sky TV package, but without the broadband. It will be interesting what Virgin and Sky do to combat or assimilate with this kind of demand.
Old 05-06-2018, 19:39   #12
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

For business, sure.

For residential, a contract mobile phone setup together with a symmetrical 1Gbit connection plus the whole of the 1550nm (up to 2GHz?) downstream spectrum reserved for HD/4K content would be a healthy triple-play set up.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 14:24   #13
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

On a (slightly) related note, I was walking my daughter's dog around Roundhay (Leeds) this morning, and the local streets were flooded with Openreach and sub=contractors' vans (and people) - there were at least 10 vans and 20-30 people working.

I asked one of the subbies what was going on, and he said they were putting fibre (and associated boxes) on the telephone poles in the area, and that when finished it was intended to have Fibre To The Home, rather than just to the Cabinet.

He said they are rolling it out all over Leeds, having just finished doing this in Beeston (Leeds).

We don't have any Telephone Poles in my area, so probably won't get it here.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 14:29   #14
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
On a (slightly) related note, I was walking my daughter's dog around Roundhay (Leeds) this morning, and the local streets were flooded with Openreach and sub=contractors' vans (and people) - there were at least 10 vans and 20-30 people working.

I asked one of the subbies what was going on, and he said they were putting fibre (and associated boxes) on the telephone poles in the area, and that when finished it was intended to have Fibre To The Home, rather than just to the Cabinet.

He said they are rolling it out all over Leeds, having just finished doing this in Beeston (Leeds).

We don't have any Telephone Poles in my area, so probably won't get it here.
I do hope they visit Kirkstall at some point, we have a telephone pole almost within touching distance of the house. We're so far from the cabinet there's no point in fibre, it would be slower than our extremely sluggish adsl.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote