Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 08-04-2015, 17:53   #4951
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
There's no clue in the levels other than the T3/T4 count. The network log shows the T4 that I would have expected from that graph which also shows noise (the red bit = packet loss usually caused by noise).
If the timezone is wrong then that'd match up. If the timezones are correct on the graph and the router log then they don't.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2015, 19:22   #4952
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
Seems as though the upstream power is maxed out.

US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 2.0 N/A N/A 2.0
Channel ID 51 N/A N/A 49
Frequency (Hz) 32600000 N/A N/A 46200000
Ranging Status Success N/A N/A Success
Modulation 16QAM N/A N/A 16QAM
Symbol Rate (Sym/sec) 5120000 N/A N/A 5120000
Mini-Slot Size 4 N/A N/A 4
Power Level (dBmV) 54.50 N/A N/A 55.21
T1 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T2 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T3 Timeouts 2 0 0 0
T4 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
When I had power levels like that on QAM16 the packet loss was simply appalling and my internet was useless. You need a tech out to look into it.
Old 08-04-2015, 22:47   #4953
st3v3y
Inactive

st3v3y is an unknown quantity at this point

So almost 24 hours on this is how it is looking.

Basically, less yellow.

st3v3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 22:51   #4954
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

....that's not a good thing
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 22:58   #4955
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Have you posted on the VM Forum where they have support staff of near 2nd line calibre who reply (after two or three days)?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 23:11   #4956
st3v3y
Inactive

VM is my next stop once I have gained a better understanding of what I'm looking at.

The connection lacks any consistency for every day use. Speeds are all over the place and seem to regularly drop out.
Old 08-04-2015, 23:41   #4957
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Basically your system can't work because of the noise on your line as indicated by the red on the TBB Graph.

The noise means that the VM end cannot read what is sent by the modem, including keep-alives and data. So after a certain number of T3 events, it resets and the connection drops.

When you post this stuff on the VM forums, you'll get the same diagnosis from the Superusers there and after a couple of days (keep posting the stats/graphs) the VM bods will come on and agree with what we're saying here and what we will say there!

They'll arrange an engineer.

If you don't want to wait the two or three days, call it in during office hours and, if it were me, I'd put the phone down on offshore and try again until I get a UK agent.

Old 08-04-2015, 23:54   #4958
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Your Superhub looks knackered.

Or your upstream path is very broken and is constantly transitioning on power which is upsetting the Superhub.

SNR per se isn't going to be the issue - that comes with packet loss but not the ridiculously high pings you have.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:13   #4959
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
When I had power levels like that on QAM16 the packet loss was simply appalling and my internet was useless. You need a tech out to look into it.
Yep, think I might have to. Thought it might of dropped since the packet loss stopped but it's still sitting at 54-55 dBmV.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 13:25   #4960
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Basically your system can't work because of the noise on your line as indicated by the red on the TBB Graph.

The noise means that the VM end cannot read what is sent by the modem, including keep-alives and data. So after a certain number of T3 events, it resets and the connection drops.
I don't see anything that definitively indicates any abnormal noise. His power readings indicate very low noise on his line.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 18:16   #4961
st3v3y
Inactive

Well I've posted over at VM so let's hope there is a quick fix. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-04-2015, 21:35   #4962
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I don't see anything that definitively indicates any abnormal noise. His power readings indicate very low noise on his line.
The issue, if any, of noise lies on the upstream where the only CNR/SNR/MER figures are at the CMTS.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 19:29   #4963
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough

Anyone getting packet lost?
I am in Lincoln LN6

GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 20:38   #4964
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I am having tea atm dude but i'll check it when i go back upstairs

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

I have never bothered with a TBB monitor before because I never have any problems with my connection but I have just set one up for you and I'll report back later.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 20:44   #4965
Sephiroth
Simples

You'll be worried for ever more each time you see something odd!