Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 26-05-2022, 17:39   #511
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So, based on the link you eventually provided, what you have said here is extremely misleading.

First of all, what has been reported is an aspiration, at some point in the future, to close BBC4 and CBBC as broadcast channels and operate them as streaming-only brands, much the same as they did at BBC3 until earlier this year. I’d say the fact they were forced to reverse that streaming-only venture with BBC3 because they lost so many viewers tells us something about how many years off this is still likely to be.

Second, this isn’t about Freeview; if/when they eventually do it it will mean the end of all broadcast of BBC4 and CBBC, i.e. Freesat, Sky, Virgin and even the broadcast stream via iPlayer.

But apart from all that, yeah …
The last two lines was just my own view.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2022, 17:57   #512
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
BBC to axe BBC4, CBBC and BBC Radio 4 Extra on Freeview.

-CBeebies HD can now stay on Freeview - using CBBC HD slot.
-Will BBC 4 and CBBC closing mean all BBC Radio channels can still broadcast on Freeview when BBC ALBA is on air?
Interesting. I wonder how much they will save by taking the TV channels onto streaming only. I thought the cost of keeping the linear services operating alongside streaming alternatives was just buttons.

Maybe I dreamt that…
Old 26-05-2022, 20:08   #513
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Interesting. I wonder how much they will save by taking the TV channels onto streaming only. I thought the cost of keeping the linear services operating alongside streaming alternatives was just buttons.

Maybe I dreamt that…
Taking a TV Channel online-only is only a genuine thing if there is a commissioning/original programming budget. BBC4, if it is genuinely going to be 100% archive content only, is basically closed if it's online-only. A tab on an app is not a channel if there's no original content. Same with Radio 4 Extra when it comes to Radio.

CBBC, since there will be new content, can be considered as moving online.

I suspect some people (I don't mean you Old Boy) reading the news will interpret them moving online as them still being linear, because of the wording, and since they weren't in the demographic for BBC3, when that happened to it, they won't understand that it doesn't mean that.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 20:27   #514
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Taking a TV Channel online-only is only a genuine thing if there is a commissioning/original programming budget. BBC4, if it is genuinely going to be 100% archive content only, is basically closed if it's online-only. A tab on an app is not a channel if there's no original content. Same with Radio 4 Extra when it comes to Radio.

CBBC, since there will be new content, can be considered as moving online.

I suspect some people (I don't mean you Old Boy) reading the news will interpret them moving online as them still being linear, because of the wording, and since they weren't in the demographic for BBC3, when that happened to it, they won't understand that it doesn't mean that.
I still to see #savebbc4, #savecbbcchannel or #saver4extra on Twitter yet.
Old 26-05-2022, 21:24   #515
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

The slow death knell for linear television continues apace as the BBC (who have been burned by this nonsense before) say that BBC Four and CBBC will go on demand only… in three years.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a40115...annels-closed/

There is a glaring contradiction in there though:

Quote:
"I believe in a public service BBC for all, properly funded, relevant for everyone, universally available, and growing in the on-demand age. This plan sets us on that journey,"
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 21:45   #516
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
I still to see #savebbc4, #savecbbcchannel or #saver4extra on Twitter yet.
I've seen plenty tweets, they just aren't using those hashtags. In fact many aren't using any hashtags. I don't navigate Twitter using them, except on a rare occasion, so I wouldn't read too much into it, especially with so many other things going on at the moment.

Even though BBC4 and Radio4 Extra are what I use, I think CBBC is, by far, the most important of the 3 service. I hope they restore the weekday afternoons CBBC on BBC1 or BBC2 if this closure goes ahead, to reach those who on-demand services won't reach and reduce repeats.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 21:49   #517
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

This plan sets them on a path to chopping off the bits nobody will miss, nothing more. BBC Four was always hard to fathom because the BBC’s arts output was already well catered for across BBC1 & 2, depending on budget and intended audience. Even now, Imagine is commissioned by BBC1 presumably because there’s no way in hell Yentob would ever admit he’s making a niche product. Attenborough and Cox likewise have such high price tags only BBC1 can justify making them.

CBBC is a lost cause because kids that age don’t watch TV designed for their age group any more. If our family experience is in any way typical they’ll watch a couple of family/adult-ish things with us, usually early evening, but then it’s off to TikTok. If they watch TV later in the evening it’s something like Derry Girls on channel 4, which is aimed a little older than them but is frankly exactly the sort of thing I’d have been watching on BBC2 or channel 4 at their age.

I can see the BBC continuing to make original children’s programmes out of PSB obligation but at the same time I won’t be at all surprised if one or two of their flagship productions - like Blue Peter - make a return to late afternoon on BBC1. But it’s hard to see a future for BBC4 as anything more than branding for arts and documentary box-sets.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 00:37   #518
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

In fairness to OB one of his predictions seems to be correct.
Hulu is offering full access, ad supported for $1 a month for 3 months. How long will it be before other streamers follow suit or will they?
I'm sure if Hulu see their revnue increase they may try it again for longer periods.

https://www.techadvisor.com/news/ent...-deal-3779153/
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 01:15   #519
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
This plan sets them on a path to chopping off the bits nobody will miss, nothing more. BBC Four was always hard to fathom because the BBC’s arts output was already well catered for across BBC1 & 2, depending on budget and intended audience. Even now, Imagine is commissioned by BBC1 presumably because there’s no way in hell Yentob would ever admit he’s making a niche product. Attenborough and Cox likewise have such high price tags only BBC1 can justify making them.

CBBC is a lost cause because kids that age don’t watch TV designed for their age group any more. If our family experience is in any way typical they’ll watch a couple of family/adult-ish things with us, usually early evening, but then it’s off to TikTok. If they watch TV later in the evening it’s something like Derry Girls on channel 4, which is aimed a little older than them but is frankly exactly the sort of thing I’d have been watching on BBC2 or channel 4 at their age.

I can see the BBC continuing to make original children’s programmes out of PSB obligation but at the same time I won’t be at all surprised if one or two of their flagship productions - like Blue Peter - make a return to late afternoon on BBC1. But it’s hard to see a future for BBC4 as anything more than branding for arts and documentary box-sets.
I hope BBC start broadcasting some of BBC 4 shows to stop using BBC News every weekday to use up time on BBC 2.
Old 27-05-2022, 21:58   #520
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

It is bizarre to put BBC3 on linear, and BBC4 online. The demographic of the audiences are the opposite of that...
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 22:24   #521
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It is bizarre to put BBC3 on linear, and BBC4 online. The demographic of the audiences are the opposite of that...

Agreed again, was thinking exactly the same. Much as I enjoy BBC4 I'm not really sure I can be bothered firing the app up to stream it.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 11:01   #522
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
If I didn’t believe that the Beeb was neutral I could believe that they were making a political point.
Old 28-05-2022, 11:22   #523
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
If I didn’t believe that the Beeb was neutral I could believe that they were making a political point.
What political point would that be? After all, the future of TV is on demand over IP, so surely you conclude the audiences of BBC4 and CBBC are the most favoured to be getting this treatment?

Yet it’s almost as if you think putting these channels on a VOD-only platform is some sort of punishment.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 20:15   #524
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
What political point would that be? After all, the future of TV is on demand over IP, so surely you conclude the audiences of BBC4 and CBBC are the most favoured to be getting this treatment?

Yet it’s almost as if you think putting these channels on a VOD-only platform is some sort of punishment.
No - where did you get that idea?

I said before that putting BBC3 alone online was not the brightest idea the Beeb ever had. It should be all or nothing. That’s why Disney ceased to allow its material to be available on TV channels in favour of the streamer.

But it is a pretty wacky idea for them to bring back BBC3, a young person’s channel, because of disappointing viewing figures, and then putting a channel predominantly aimed at older viewers, to on line only.

One wonders who the hell is making these decisions if they are not being made simply to have a go at the government.
Old 01-06-2022, 16:54   #525
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
No - where did you get that idea?

I said before that putting BBC3 alone online was not the brightest idea the Beeb ever had. It should be all or nothing. That’s why Disney ceased to allow its material to be available on TV channels in favour of the streamer.

But it is a pretty wacky idea for them to bring back BBC3, a young person’s channel, because of disappointing viewing figures, and then putting a channel predominantly aimed at older viewers, to on line only.

One wonders who the hell is making these decisions if they are not being made simply to have a go at the government.
A fundamental misunderstanding of the broadcasting market in that the point is to be seen!

BBC4 is essentially being closed under the guise of being innovative.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote