Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 20mb? More like 2 on a good day

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

20mb? More like 2 on a good day

Old 26-10-2009, 21:16   #1
Lemonadedippers
Inactive

Lemonadedippers is an unknown quantity at this point
20mb? More like 2 on a good day

Hello,

I live in Southampton and having loads of problems with the internet speeds.

We upgraded to 20mb a few months ago and things were fine but over the last few weeks we've had lots of random slowness when browsing the Internet. My husband plays World of Warcraft (sigh) and he's having more and more random disconnects too.

Today has been horrible with on and off connection and pages only half loading or not working then suddenly coming back. We have a modem thats plugged into a router for the two computers.

I copied the root speed thing from someone elses post to get speed:

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.1 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 35.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Is that good/bad? My husband thinks its the router but I think its the modem as we've never had 20mb on downloads. Things I download are at best 2mb ever.

Thanks

Lemonadedippers
Lemonadedippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2009, 21:22   #2
Vaad
Inactive

Vaad is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 20mb? More like 2 on a good day

U won't download at 20mb .... 2 mb is a good download speed from what I can see everything looks ok. I think your just missinformed about Internet speed ratings
Vaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 21:23   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Your Upstream is low but not borderline and the Downstream is fine.

Have you tried a direct connection to rule out the router and then if still the same you can call Tech Support on 151 from a Virgin phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 21:33   #4
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaad View Post
U won't download at 20mb .... 2 mb is a good download speed from what I can see everything looks ok. I think your just missinformed about Internet speed ratings
Mate, this is tosh. Sorry, but it is. I have a 20meg connection in Southampton (Eastleigh, not the Southampton analogue network of course) and I regularly download things at the full 20meg (I'm not talking torrents here). Something else is up with the connection.

Try removing the router (you'll have to reboot the PC to get it to connect afterwards, and possibly power off the modem for 30 secs). If that helps, are you usually connecting wirelessly or wired?
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 21:55   #5
Lemonadedippers
Inactive

Lemonadedippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the quick replies.

I'm not really sure on all these speed things. I've not tried direct as it only happens randomly and we've two pcs. Both are wired into the router and then off to the modem box.

2mb is the best I've ever seen. Normal speed is normally below 1mb. I just thought it should be 20mb. Husband seemed less bothered until these random patches of slow and no connection.
Lemonadedippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 21:57   #6
Vaad
Inactive

Vaad is an unknown quantity at this point

My 20mb never downloaded faster than 2.50mbs
Vaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 22:50   #7
Stuart_
Inactive

Stuart_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaad View Post
My 20mb never downloaded faster than 2.50mbs
Well you obviously have the same issue, or a related issue.

Let the experts deal with it.
Stuart_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 23:00   #8
Tech_Boy
Inactive

Services: Inhumations, for the right price
Tech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpack

Your 20 Mega bit (Mb) connection, will max out at around 2.4 Mega Bytes (MB).
So if your connection is running at 2.5MB per second, then that is ok, but if it is running at 2.5Mb per second then it is not.
a handy article from speedguide.net explaining the difference
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=115
Tech_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote