Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 4 upstream channel bonding - post here

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

4 upstream channel bonding - post here

Old 04-05-2018, 21:34   #31
trublue
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt
trublue is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 4 upstream channel bonding - post here

I don't usually check my network status, but after reading this thread I thought I would.When I checked it yesterday, I only had one upstream channel, I did a reboot and found I now have 4 .Living in the Blackburn area.

Upstream Channels Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate
Locked 4 25800000 Hz ATDMA 49.5 dBmV 64QAM 6400000 Hz 5120 Ksym/sec
Locked 2 39400000 Hz ATDMA 49.5 dBmV 64QAM 6400000 Hz 5120 Ksym/sec
Locked 1 46200000 Hz ATDMA 48.5 dBmV 64QAM 6400000 Hz 5120 Ksym/sec
Locked 3 32600000 Hz ATDMA 49.3 dBmV 64QAM 6400000 Hz 5120 Ksym/sec
trublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2018, 21:54   #32
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

You should never have 1 upstream and everyone should be on a minimum of 2. I was going to put it down to you misreading the stats but i think it has got something to do with your power levels. If they creep above you are going to start having problems and would explain why you can only only see 1 channel. Keep your eye on it.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 23:12   #33
trublue
cf.addict

Thanks for that GM, and I will keep an eye on them.
Old 04-05-2018, 23:48   #34
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

If the power levels get too high it becomes unstable, you will drop your connection while the interface resets that will be when you only lock onto one upstream because the levels are out whack. Either that or it is so bad you wont lock onto any at all at which point it will start all over again. Are you getting any t3 or t4 timeouts?
Old 05-05-2018, 17:10   #35
trublue
cf.addict

Is it possible for the upstream to fluctuate between 1 & 4 channels? I have googled what you mentioned regarding t3 and t4 timeouts, but still none the wiser. I don't have any problems with my broadband speeds or connection problems as far as I know.I have noticed my power levels are slightly higher than yesterday.

Upstream Channels
Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate
Locked 4 25800000 Hz ATDMA 49.8 dBmV 64QAM 6400000 Hz 5120 Ksym/sec
Locked 2 39400000 Hz ATDMA 50.0 dBmV 64QAM 6400000 Hz 5120 Ksym/sec
Locked 1 46200000 Hz ATDMA 48.5 dBmV 64QAM 6400000 Hz 5120 Ksym/sec
Locked 3 32600000 Hz ATDMA 49.3 dBmV 64QAM 6400000 Hz 5120 Ksym/sec
Old 05-05-2018, 17:47   #36
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublue View Post
Is it possible for the upstream to fluctuate between 1 & 4 channels?
Nope, it has been about 15 years since people were on one upstream channel. You should be on at least two and most people are on three or four. They operate in what are called "bonding groups" up to a maximum of 4 channels. If 4 channels are available to your area then you use all 4 channels all the time, not some random number up to 4.

Quote:
I have googled what you mentioned regarding t3 and t4 timeouts, but still none the wiser.
I wasn't trying to confuse you. Which shub have you got? There should be a table similar to your power levels under the same upstream tab which tell you how many T1, T2, T3 and T4 timeouts you have, ideally it should be 0. As an example, if you have got a shub 3 it will look like this:

Old 05-05-2018, 19:33   #37
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Has it really been 15 years since only 1 upstream? Surely that is not right?
Old 05-05-2018, 19:46   #38
trublue
cf.addict

I know you weren't trying to confuse me, I'm just a little thick I am on shub 2, the only info I found on time outs was this

Modem Initialisation
Stage Status
Downstream Acquisition Locked
Primary Frequency 266750000 Hz
DHCP Done
TFTP Done
Time Of Day 18:36:07 BST
Security BPI+
Counters T1,T2,T3,T4,Sync,Resets 000,000,000,000,000,000
Old 05-05-2018, 21:01   #39
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Has it really been 15 years since only 1 upstream? Surely that is not right?
fair enough, more like 12 years because I can remember having one upstream on my ambit 256

Quote:
I am on shub 2, the only info I found on time outs was this

Counters T1,T2,T3,T4,Sync,Resets 000,000,000,000,000,000
that's cool, no T3 or T4 timeouts which is good. Apart from that reboot you did have you been experiencing any connectivity issues/drop outs or has everything been okay as far as you are aware?
Old 05-05-2018, 21:47   #40
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I was thinking it was like 5years since we went to 2 upstreams but I can't find any info on it, just shocked it has been that many years since we all went to 2.

Anyone know for sure?
Old 05-05-2018, 22:08   #41
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I was thinking it was like 5years since we went to 2 upstreams
Na, i had 2 upstreams on my ambit 300 and that was back in 2009 at least.
Old 05-05-2018, 23:38   #42
trublue
cf.addict

I did lose my connection last week for a minute or so, I just put it down to my VPN playing up. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my queries, much appreciated.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:35   #43
General Maximus
Ran Away

np, if you power levels go above 50 or you start experiencing drop outs you need to give VM a ring on 150 and a tech to come out and fix it. As an fyi we haven't discussed your downstream power levels but anything between -7 and +7 is ok and they want to be as close to 0 as possible. Around 0 and +3 is awesome.
Old 06-05-2018, 14:53   #44
trublue
cf.addict

My downstream channels are averaging around +2.3 so no problem there. Upstream seems to be consistent at between 49.5 for 3 channels with one at 50, so I will keep an eye on these and for drop outs.
Old 06-05-2018, 15:15   #45
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

If you've not already done it set up a BQM monitor at thinkbroadband. If you start seeing packet loss or increasing latency then it's onto VM to get it fixed.