Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ultrafast BB offered ;-)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will VM charge for damaged cable?

Old 10-04-2019, 08:38   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Will VM charge for damaged cable?

I suspect that my gardener may have damaged the incoming cable as my services became affected whilst he was digging to put in a fence.

Will they make a charge if this turns out to be the case?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2019, 08:42   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Will VM charge for damaged cable?

I do believe it is £100
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:21   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Why would you think they wouldn't charge?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:30   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Here's the charging info:
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the...iceguides.html

Quote:
Technician Appointments

If maintenance or the correction of a fault requires a technician visit to your address, and is the result of the intended treatment and use of our equipment, there will be no charge for this visit. Someone over the age of 18 must be present at the time of the visit that we have agreed with you in advance.

If the need for a technician visit is the result of one or more of the following you will normally be charged a fee for the technician visit and may be responsible for other associated costs:

- A request by you to change the home set up of your services (for example if you would like your equipment moved to a different location)

- Misuse, neglect of, accidental or wilful damage to our equipment;

- Failure to follow responsible instructions regarding our equipment;

- Tampering or disassembling the equipment without our consent or instruction; or

- Fault in, or any other problem (including set up and specification) associated with, your equipment or any system that is not provided by us as part of our services.

Equipment includes, amongst other things, any cable modem, set top box, cables and ducts.
Quote:
Technician Appointments (where chargeable)

£99 charge per appointment plus other associated costs on a case by case basis (see above for when these costs may be applicable)
Old 10-04-2019, 09:34   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

When i accidentally cut through my phone line cable in 2017 VM fixed that for free when the technician came out to fix my low signal TV problem, i was expecting a charge but maybe the fact they had to come out anyway was the reason they didn't.

I would expect them to charge you though for what you described.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:44   #6
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Could you argue that the cable was placed at a shallow depth/unprotected by the normal green tube?
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:43   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
Could you argue that the cable was placed at a shallow depth/unprotected by the normal green tube?
It depends how far down the workman dug down for the fence - a six foot fence post should go down at least two feet, and if that was the case, it’s unlikely...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 21:19   #8
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

They won't charge, it's very very rare they do
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 13:01   #9
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Normally tradespeople will carry Professional Indemnity Insurance specifically for these situations. So if VM do raise an invoice for the work, which in my opinion they should, all the account holder has to do is pass it on to the tradesperson to resolve.
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:52   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. All sorted, he had damaged the cable so they repulled another one for me (no charge).

I shall be writing to let them know that the CS skills of the engineers was excellent, they couldn't have been more helpful and were totally understanding of the situation and my circumstances.

They couldn't bury the cable as there's a load of tree branches in the way, will this lead to the green protective cover rotting or should I have it buried when this is possible?
Old 12-04-2019, 09:09   #11
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

The green tubes dont rot, they are plastic and designed to be burried
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:15   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
The green tubes dont rot, they are plastic and designed to be burried
Thanks, i'll have it buried when I can as it will look better. I wonder if they're green to blend in with the greenery of a garden? Unless all the utilities have their own colour for ease of identification when the roads are being dug up.

Out of interest, does anyone know how they repull cables? It must be difficult to pull the end of the new cable from the other end of the duct!
Old 12-04-2019, 09:54   #13
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

They use a rod, stick it down the tee push through to where it needs to go. Attach the cable to the rod and pull it through. On short runs if the duct is clear you can get away with just feeding the cable down the tee
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:58   #14
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I do like a happy ending
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 15:09   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
They use a rod, stick it down the tee push through to where it needs to go. Attach the cable to the rod and pull it through. On short runs if the duct is clear you can get away with just feeding the cable down the tee
Thanks.

Are all the wires copper from the cabinet to the premises? I'm wondering if my gardener cut through one completely (phone), damaged the one for internet as it kept going on and off and only slightly damaged the one for TV as this was only slightly affected with occasional bouts of pixelation.

They offered me a next day appointment, is this the norm? Maybe this was because I am a priority due to being disabled.