Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 23-04-2019, 23:19   #5176
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Thanks Chad can you actually purchase a movie through it as well.
Yes you can. Venom, Mary Poppins Returns and the latest Johnny English are available to rent along with hundreds more
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2019, 22:45   #5177
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Yes you can. Venom, Mary Poppins Returns and the latest Johnny English are available to rent along with hundreds more
I'll be surprised if you can access PPV movies through the V6 app when it launches. I think it will be Prime shows/movies only.

VM only launched their own store last year I believe, I doubt they'd accept competition on their own box.
Old 25-04-2019, 08:21   #5178
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
I'll be surprised if you can access PPV movies through the V6 app when it launches. I think it will be Prime shows/movies only.

VM only launched their own store last year I believe, I doubt they'd accept competition on their own box.
They already do accept competition on their own box. I regularly notice when I search for programmes on the V6 that I can access some selections either on Netflix with no extra charge or through the store on a PPV basis.

I have not seen any indication that we will not also be getting Amazon's PPV programming with the app, although I've not seen anything that says we will either.
Old 25-04-2019, 09:47   #5179
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Virgin Media don't own Virgin Movies/VM Store. It's owned by Vubiquity (part of Amdocs).
Old 25-04-2019, 14:11   #5180
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They already do accept competition on their own box. I regularly notice when I search for programmes on the V6 that I can access some selections either on Netflix with no extra charge or through the store on a PPV basis.

I have not seen any indication that we will not also be getting Amazon's PPV programming with the app, although I've not seen anything that says we will either.
Yes, I see your point regarding the Netflix option when searching although Netflix do not do PPV so there is a difference. VM have to cater for all, if you do not have a Netflix sub then there is a PPV option with VM

I'm thinking more about the latest movie releases, that's the direct competition they wont be happy about.

Just my opinion, we'll just have to wait and see if we get a low or full fat version of the Amazon app
Old 25-04-2019, 14:44   #5181
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm thinking more about the latest movie releases, that's the direct competition they wont be happy about.
Did you see my previous post?

Quote:
Just my opinion
People used to often post the same thing as a reason that we would never get Netflix. They were wrong, too.
Old 25-04-2019, 19:28   #5182
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, I see your point regarding the Netflix option when searching although Netflix do not do PPV so there is a difference. VM have to cater for all, if you do not have a Netflix sub then there is a PPV option with VM

Just my opinion, we'll just have to wait and see if we get a low or full fat version of the Amazon app
Maybe not. Netflix material is free after paying the subscription, and people with Netflix will clearly go for there rather than the same title with PPV on Virgin Store. So it is a similar predicament in that sense. Netflix draws viewers away from Virgin Store.

However, the store will be used by non-Netflix subscriners.

And as spiderplant says, the store is not owned by VM, so there is no conflict that impacts on them
Old 25-04-2019, 19:52   #5183
Joedm45
cf.geek

Quote:
Maybe not. Netflix material is free after paying the subscription, and people with Netflix will clearly go for there rather than the same title with PPV on Virgin Store. So it is a similar predicament in that sense. Netflix draws viewers away from Virgin Store.

And as spiderplant says, the store is not owned by VM, so there is no conflict that impacts on them
I wasn't aware VM didn't own the VM store (Thanks Spiderplant) but I think that makes the situation worse! VM will risk upsetting a business partner if they allow Amazon PPV.

Of course we're not privy to contracts so for all we know the guys that own VM Store only signed PPV exclusivity for a set period of time.

If Amazon PPV does indeed arrive it would be interesting if there is any 'price fixing'
Old 25-04-2019, 20:04   #5184
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I suspect a high percentage of people who use Virgin Movies do so to watch new movies something Netflix defo don't have the exception being its own original movies which are nothing to write home about.
Old 25-04-2019, 20:27   #5185
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I suspect a high percentage of people who use Virgin Movies do so to watch new movies something Netflix defo don't have the exception being its own original movies which are nothing to write home about.
Good point about Netflix not offering new studio movies.

Not sure I agree with your impression of Netflix movies, though. I've only seen a small number of these so far as I tend to concentrate more on the Netflix original series, but those I've seen have been good.

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Quote:
I wasn't aware VM didn't own the VM store (Thanks Spiderplant) but I think that makes the situation worse! VM will risk upsetting a business partner if they allow Amazon PPV.

Of course we're not privy to contracts so for all we know the guys that own VM Store only signed PPV exclusivity for a set period of time.

If Amazon PPV does indeed arrive it would be interesting if there is any 'price fixing'
I think anyone can show stuff on a PPV basis, can't they? That's how Virgin Store can offer Game of Thrones.
Old 26-04-2019, 09:40   #5186
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Comcast is in talks to sell its 30% stake in Hulu to Disney

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/25/comc...to-disney.html
Old 26-04-2019, 09:46   #5187
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Comcast is in talks to sell its 30% stake in Hulu to Disney

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/25/comc...to-disney.html
Seeing they never had much control over it its probably the wise decision to sell it at the right price of course.
Old 01-05-2019, 21:15   #5188
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Those who thought that Netflix would be carrying advertisements in the future may be proved right.

https://advanced-television.com/2019...uiting-ad-men/

I don't mind as long as the paid-for version remains ad-free. It would certainly make the service more inclusive.
Old 01-05-2019, 21:19   #5189
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Those who thought that Netflix would be carrying advertisements in the future may be proved right.

https://advanced-television.com/2019...uiting-ad-men/

I don't mind as long as the paid-for version remains ad-free. It would certainly make the service more inclusive.
A not very innovative way to pay off $20bn of debt.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:55   #5190
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
A not very innovative way to pay off $20bn of debt.
jfman, if they put advertisements on the Netflix version we currently pay for, they will lose a lot of subscribers. I, for one, a great admirer of Netflix, would no longer subscribe. I simply will not sit through a load of unskippable advertisements in order to watch the programmes I want to see. There are many like minded people out there who would resent advertisement intrusion and would seek the programmes they want to see by alternative means, and piracy would increase. This is not the way to go.

A no-sub (or lower sub) option with ads and less free content will bring in a lot more money for Netflix than they are raising now and surely must be a viable option for Netflix.
Closed Thread