Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear Router Slows Down My Broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear Router Slows Down My Broadband

Old 31-07-2007, 12:21   #1
xspeedyx

Netgear Router Slows Down My Broadband

I have netgear router and use the netgear adaptor and for some strange reason I get 800KB/s off my 10mb connection but when the sacm connect to the pc direct I get the full 10mb and the strange thing is when I use my wirless the adaptor is very close to the router as I only need the wireless for the xbox 360

I have tryed all the channels and still the same

Router Spec

Netgear Router - WGR614 v2 - Telewest Freebe

Adaptor Spec -WG111 - pc World

can someone please help me btw I have a black surfboard as my modem
Advertisement
Old 31-07-2007, 12:47   #2
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Netgear Router Slows Down My Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
I have netgear router and use the netgear adaptor and for some strange reason I get 800KB/s off my 10mb connection but when the sacm connect to the pc direct I get the full 10mb and the strange thing is when I use my wirless the adaptor is very close to the router as I only need the wireless for the xbox 360

I have tryed all the channels and still the same

Router Spec

Netgear Router - WGR614 v2 - Telewest Freebe

Adaptor Spec -WG111 - pc World

can someone please help me btw I have a black surfboard as my modem

Ok is 800k per second file download speed or browsing speed ?

Wireless securty WEP/WPA will cause some slowdown on your connection, as will the fact the router is running a stateful packet inspection firewall.

Check to see on the router if respond to ICMP is disabled on the wan port, If so enable it.

From the user manual :-

Configuring WAN Setup OptionsThe WAN Setup options let you configure a DMZ server, change the MTU size and enable the router to respond to a Ping on the WAN port. These options are discussed below

Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port If you want the router to respond to a 'ping' from the Internet, click the ‘Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port’ check box. This should only be used as a diagnostic tool, since it allows your router to be discovered. Don't check this box unless you have a specific reason to do so.

mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 14:55   #3
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

800KB/s sounds reasonably fast for a wireless connection to me.

Try connecting the PC to one of the router's LAN ports with a cable.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 15:17   #4
xspeedyx

800KB/s when I should make out at 1.2mb/s my brpther uses a linksys router and gets full speed but my netgear doesnt wanna give me full speed
Old 31-07-2007, 15:20   #5
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
800KB/s when I should make out at 1.2mb/s my brpther uses a linksys router and gets full speed but my netgear doesnt wanna give me full speed
Have you tried the above steps ? and also afterwards did you reboot the router ?

The pure and simple truth is that using wireless you will never sustainably acheive a perfect 1.2mb download speed. You may obtain it some times.

On 20mb downloading from Giganews with 20 connections I see generally between 1.9mb and 2.2mb per second, perhaps twice in the past week have i seen it at 2.4mb and then for only a very very limited time. And my network is running only on MAC filtering and a hidden SSID
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 15:25   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Are you and your brother operating your routers on the same channel? If you are (and they are in the same house) you may be getting some interference from his router.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:08   #7
xspeedyx

My Brother is in a different house and we use the same channel who it be a good idea to upgrade the firmware or mobo is a bit old but supports usb 2.0
Old 01-08-2007, 12:43   #8
sprattgraham
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP
sprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the rough

Give this a try:

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb...timisation.php
sprattgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 13:44   #9
xspeedyx

but will this help with a wireless connection I really think I should just get a router
Old 01-08-2007, 13:50   #10
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

You already have a router - with LAN ports - just try one!
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 13:57   #11
xspeedyx

I meant a new router
Old 01-08-2007, 13:58   #12
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
I meant a new router
Have you performed the steps I advised above ? did it make any difference ?
Old 01-08-2007, 14:08   #13
sprattgraham
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP
sprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Have you tried the above steps ? and also afterwards did you reboot the router ?

The pure and simple truth is that using wireless you will never sustainably acheive a perfect 1.2mb download speed. You may obtain it some times.

On 20mb downloading from Giganews with 20 connections I see generally between 1.9mb and 2.2mb per second, perhaps twice in the past week have i seen it at 2.4mb and then for only a very very limited time. And my network is running only on MAC filtering and a hidden SSID
My wireless can easily do 2.4mbps
sprattgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 14:10   #14
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprattgraham View Post
My wireless can easily do 2.4mbps
Fair do's most wont give a constant 2.4mbps
Old 01-08-2007, 15:25   #15
xspeedyx

I have tryed all the suggestions but no change I think i might get a linksys or what router u guy recommended