Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wi-fi channel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wi-fi channel

Old 23-08-2007, 14:03   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
wi-fi channel

finally scanned the networks i can see in my living room (which is where my router is)

i can see 2 sky routers on channel 1

A bt voyager on channel 5

A sky router and my own voyager on channel 11

and a sky router on channel 6

I also briefly picked up another router on channel 3

can anyone suggest what would be the best channel to shove mine on to get the least amount of interference from the other networks?
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-08-2007, 14:29   #2
goldoni
Inactive

goldoni has reached the bronze age
goldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze age
Re: wi-fi channel

looks like 9 would be your best one
goldoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 14:30   #3
r1ch
Inactive

r1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation era

Obviously you should avoid those channels but other than that the best thing to do is just try it... Plenty of things other than other wireless networks cause interference (like DECT phones, microwaves etc) and they won't show up on your scan. Having said that, 3, or 13 look good. (I'd skip 9, because that is often the worst for interference from microwaves).
r1ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 14:32   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch View Post
Obviously you should avoid those channels but other than that the best thing to do is just try it... Plenty of things other than other wireless networks cause interference (like DECT phones, microwaves etc) and they won't show up on your scan. Having said that, 3, or 13 look good. (I'd skip 9, because that is often the worst for interference from microwaves).
I'll give a 3 a shot since i very rarely see anything on that channel, sometimes an unsecured ap pops up on 3 but its far to weak to connect to.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 14:51   #5
goldoni
Inactive

goldoni has reached the bronze age
goldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch View Post
I spoke to Belking and they advised me to Ch 9 and said I should try and stay 3 away from other wifi units they did not say anything about microwaves. My network is quite stable,,,by the way this is more asking than disagreeing with you
goldoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 15:21   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

According to your list, and this picture:

It doesn't matter which you pick you're still going to overlap with someone.

I knew of a housing estate once where a load of the residents got together and organised themselves so that they knew who was on what channel and so that nobody overlapped with anybody.

Maybe you could have a chat with the neighbours?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote