Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | D-Link 524 No gateway detected

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

D-Link 524 No gateway detected

Old 22-08-2007, 18:24   #1
Salsleeps
Inactive

Salsleeps is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy D-Link 524 No gateway detected

Hi,

I've been successfully using my D-Link router on my network for internet access on a wired PC & Xbox 360, wireless laptop & Wii. I've not been able to share files between the laptop & PC or the xbox & PC but I've coped till now when I decided to try and sort it out. But that's for another day, especially as I've now just wasted the only day of sun I've had on my holiday sitting in front of my pc

I'd forgot my router password so had to reset the router. I've got internet access back on the wired PC, the wireless Wii & wired Xbox (after enabling DHCP server) but I'm still trying to get internet access back to my sisters laptop.

I'm using Win XP SP2 on both, using WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption, I've entered the key correctly in both machines and the laptop successfully detects and connects to the network but I can't access the web, e-mail, msn etc. I haven't tried accessing shared files between both machines but that's only ever worked briefly. Msn reports no gateway, and viewing the status of the wireless network connection.. Default gateway is blank, also the Laptop IP address is not within the range of starting & ending IP addresses on the DHCP server settings ...if it should be within range? I've tried repairing the wireless connection and rebooted everything.

Please help,
Sal
Salsleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2007, 18:34   #2
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby
Re: D-Link 524 No gateway detected

Has the laptop got a proxy set ?
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 18:47   #3
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsleeps View Post
<snip>
I'm using Win XP SP2 on both, using WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption, I've entered the key correctly in both machines and the laptop successfully detects and connects to the network but I can't access the web, e-mail, msn etc. I haven't tried accessing shared files between both machines but that's only ever worked briefly. Msn reports no gateway, and viewing the status of the wireless network connection.. Default gateway is blank, also the Laptop IP address is not within the range of starting & ending IP addresses on the DHCP server settings ...if it should be within range? I've tried repairing the wireless connection and rebooted everything.

Please help,
Sal
Hi Sal and welcome to CF

Your laptop is not getting a DHCP IP address from the router therefore it is automatically generating an IP address in the range... ...someone will correct me: 169.254.xxx.xxx - this is the problem. Why it is not getting an IP address from the router is another matter. I don't know this particular router: can you restrict access to it's DHCP service by MAC address?

As a temporary fix you can setup the laptop with a static IP address but you will also have to enter all the other TCP/IP settings manually: Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway - the LAN IP address of your router (192.168.100.1 perhaps), DNS servers - check VM's help pages.

Good luck
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 21:01   #4
Salsleeps
Inactive

Hi & thanks for the welcome,

I tried the static IP but the router asks for the IP address and will only let me add the last set of figures (192.168.0.___) not the last two.
Old 23-08-2007, 00:12   #5
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

That shouldn't be a problem as that leaves you over 250 possible IP addresses. Set a static address outside of the DHCP range set in the router. So if the DHCP range is 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.20 use 192.168.0.30 for your static address.

Of course the best thing is to get DHCP working on the laptop again. Perhaps someone who has one of these routers can make some suggestions...anyone?

---------- Post added at 00:12 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

This might be a useful article for you to read
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 01:25   #6
Salsleeps
Inactive

Oh that's it thanks, followed the settings in the article. Hope the suns out again tomorrow, I've got some relaxing to catch up on!

sal