Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which streaming apps do you use the most ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Which streaming apps do you use the most ?

Old 06-07-2020, 13:18   #31
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: Which streaming apps do you use the most ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Not usually, im not worried about that, now if i was torrenting then yes but i haven't done that in over 10 years.
Still use one mate they're clamping down on people using these apps just lately best be safe than sorry.
Old 06-07-2020, 13:25   #32
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Still use one mate they're clamping down on people using these apps just lately best be safe than sorry.
I've been doing this 20 years so i know the legality of it all, the fact is i have never shared so i am not too worried about it, but thanks for the advice.
Old 06-07-2020, 15:36   #33
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I've been doing this 20 years so i know the legality of it all, the fact is i have never shared so i am not too worried about it, but thanks for the advice.
Nice to speak to someone else who knows what they're doing mate
I personally use a vpn regardless but my vpn is on 24/7 anyway as i run a server for minecraft too lol.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:22   #34
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

iPlayer and it's radio equivalent Sounds. The BBC still has the best UK output.

Just had Prime for a freebie week, only time I'd use it. Seen any films I could possibly want to see. A free week a year of it is usually enough.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:55   #35
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Plex | Amazon Prime | YouTube
Old 07-07-2020, 09:06   #36
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

I do not use any as I do not stream any thing
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:21   #37
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
iPlayer and it's radio equivalent Sounds. The BBC still has the best UK output.

Just had Prime for a freebie week, only time I'd use it. Seen any films I could possibly want to see. A free week a year of it is usually enough.
Sounds is very good as l tend to use it quite a bit on the V6 box.
Old 27-10-2020, 18:30   #38
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Anyone purchased the new Chromecast ?

Is it better than the old one ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 19:42   #39
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Anyone purchased the new Chromecast ?

Is it better than the old one ?
Yes I've bought one and am impressed. The new one has a remote and an interface unlike the original versions. It runs Android TV so lots of apps available then runs a "Google TV" interface over the top which lets you browse and get recommendations across all your apps in one place. I really like the idea of this. Only just got it so still working out how well this will work. It's a brand new product so I have no doubt it will improve over time. I was a little surprised there are no apps for All4, NowTV or UKTV Play, though of course you can cast these apps as you would via the older Chromecast devices. Also no AppleTV app if that's one of the services you use. To answer your question I think it's miles better than the old one and gives the best of both worlds.
Old 27-10-2020, 19:54   #40
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
Yes I've bought one and am impressed. The new one has a remote and an interface unlike the original versions. It runs Android TV so lots of apps available then runs a "Google TV" interface over the top which lets you browse and get recommendations across all your apps in one place. I really like the idea of this. Only just got it so still working out how well this will work. It's a brand new product so I have no doubt it will improve over time. I was a little surprised there are no apps for All4, NowTV or UKTV Play, though of course you can cast these apps as you would via the older Chromecast devices. Also no AppleTV app if that's one of the services you use. To answer your question I think it's miles better than the old one and gives the best of both worlds.
Thanks for the info I'll take a look.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 20:05   #41
kgollop
cf.geek

kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Thanks for the info I'll take a look.
Should have mentioned it has 4K support and comes with Netflix, Prime, Disney+, iPlayer, ITV Hub, My 5, BT Sport, YouTube and BBC Sounds apps pre-installed. I also have installed Plex. The Google Assistant voice option on the remote is an interesting addition. "Play Star Wars Empire Strikes Back" successfully opened Disney+ and started playing the movie as an example.
Old 27-10-2020, 20:23   #42
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Whats the difference between a Amazon 4K fire stick and a Chromecast if anything?
Old 27-10-2020, 20:38   #43
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Whats the difference between a Amazon 4K fire stick and a Chromecast if anything?
AFAIK you don’t actually load apps onto the Chromecast, it just acts as a receiver for whatever you ‘cast’ to it from your phone, tablet or computer. Unless they’ve changed that recently. I don’t know for certain.

With an Amazon Fire stick, basically you’re adding smart tv capability to you telly via a spare HDMI port. You load apps onto the fire stick (iPlayer, Netflix etc; although naturally Prime Video functionality is already integrated), sign in to the apps and away you go. The fire stick comes with its own remote control that is voice controllable, so while you can control the fire stick from an app on your phone, you don’t need to.

We bought ours in order to smarten up our living room tv. When we bought a new smart tv the fire stick went into the spare room. It’s a cost effective way of adding smart functionality to a cheap tv, or to a more expensive one whose manufacturer is useless at adding streaming app support ... again I can’t speak to how necessary that is, as our tv is a Samsung and they’re excellent at adding every new streaming app as it’s launched.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 20:57   #44
kgollop
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
AFAIK you don’t actually load apps onto the Chromecast, it just acts as a receiver for whatever you ‘cast’ to it from your phone, tablet or computer. Unless they’ve changed that recently. I don’t know for certain.
That's changed with the latest release which combines the standard Chromecast functionality with an Android TV interface. A link to a review below:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/20/chrom...mote-13450074/