Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Star Trek: Discovery

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Star Trek: Discovery

Old 17-09-2017, 09:59   #181
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

I hope it has engineering troubles and events we know fro m other Trek shows however I have a feeling there will be a lot of action sequences.

Jonathan Frakes has also confirmed a detail about the episode he directs.

Spoiler: 
It is set in the mirror universe and is very Klingon based
Old 20-09-2017, 11:45   #182
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

A new behind the scenes featurette, it is well worth the watch and has made me feel a lot happier about the series.

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 16:25   #183
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

First reviews in from the world premiere in Los Angeles ..

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/20...e-some-people/
Old 20-09-2017, 16:32   #184
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

The full reviews are embargoed till the 24th.
Old 24-09-2017, 23:51   #185
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

With it airing in the USA very shortly the titles are online.

Not sure what to make, I actually think I prefer the Enterprise theme and titles. This looks and feels a bit James Bond with West World and Game of Thrones.
Old 25-09-2017, 09:05   #186
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I completely agree, it is really annoying me. I don't know how to explain it but I agree with your Westworld analogy and it is completely inappropriate for the tone and context of the series. I was expecting them to show off some amazing visual display like TNG/DS9/Voyager of planets, space particles and ships to prove a point as we are 15+ years on since the last Star Trek series and look what we can do now!

Hopefully it will get changed in season 2.
Old 25-09-2017, 09:24   #187
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Well I have watched the 2 episodes and I am still trying to fully understand why they set it 10 years before ToS. They could easily have set it after Voyager and it would have played out better, especially with the tech. All they had to do was leave out the Sarek parts.

It was good that it had a lot of the ToS sounds on the bridge and the door sounds torpedo sounds, but some of the tech just shouldn't exist. Main point being the Star Wars style holograms for communications?!? What were they thinking. Trek has always used video calling and for this to exist in the prime timeline just doesn't fit.Even when ships drop out of warp its clearly from the JJ-verse. There was even lens flare and the phasers on ship and handheld are like bullets rather than the beams they should be. Hopefully things they can resolve over the course of the series.

That being said I did enjoy the main story, even if Starfleet seemed fine to start a war, and as the ensign stated 'we are explorers'

Spoiler: 
Also a bit odd that they focused so much of the trailers and stuff on characters that were not going to be around for long.

The new trailer for the rest of the season almost makes the first 2 episodes a prequel to the actual show with episode 3 feeling like the actual pilot as it introduces the ship and all the other main characters.

Last edited by Stephen; 25-09-2017 at 09:32.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 10:25   #188
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

What is the length of the episodes, are they really only 10 mins long as that is what everyone was saying months ago?
Old 25-09-2017, 10:33   #189
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

No they are usual length about 40 to 45 mins each.
Old 25-09-2017, 10:43   #190
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
No they are usual length about 40 to 45 mins each.
Awesome, will watch it on Kodi.
Old 25-09-2017, 12:11   #191
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Awesome, will watch it on Kodi.
Yes l will catch them later on as well.
Old 25-09-2017, 19:44   #192
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
What is the length of the episodes, are they really only 10 mins long as that is what everyone was saying months ago?
I think you are getting confused with the new Stargate series, they are 10 mins each.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 05:35   #193
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Watched Episodes 1 & 2 tonight, quite impressed so far, looking forward to Episode 3.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:37   #194
General Maximus
Ran Away

I am going to watch them today, I couldn't bring myself to watch it last night. I'll report back later.
Old 26-09-2017, 11:37   #195
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I will watch them when i get home from work at 22:30 later.