Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wireless scanner.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wireless scanner.

Old 15-08-2007, 13:35   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
wireless scanner.

Can anyone reccomend a piece of software that scans for wireless lans and shows the channel they are on and the signal strengh.

I used to use Kismac but I think one of the apple security updates killed it since It cannot seem to talk to the airport in my macbook.

Can either be for Vista or OSX

The inbuilt selecton tool in OSX/Vista/Xp just shows the names and not the channels.

Seems quite a few people around here have got broadband recently and been given a free router by their isp When I look in my living room my laptop sees several wireless networks.

I want to know what channel they are on so I can move mine to a channel thats as far away as possible or at least one that has the least interference from the others on.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2007, 13:42   #2
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
Re: wireless scanner.

My Linksys WIP300 VoIP phone will do that nicely

There are little gadgets that will scan for WiFi networks but I'm not sure that they will show that channel and signal strength.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 13:43   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Does your router have some sort of facility for this? Most call it a Site Survey or something similar.

Failng that, use netstumbler .
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 13:44   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I believe netstumbler will do this.
Old 15-08-2007, 13:46   #5
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Does your router have some sort of facility for this? Most call it a Site Survey or something similar.

Failng that, use netstumbler .
No it doesn't (its a voyager 2110) ill try netstumbler

Netstumber doesn't like the wi-fi chip in my macbook

apprently its an ATHEROS ER5006EXS
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote