Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Relocation of Sky Satellite

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Relocation of Sky Satellite

Old 10-03-2009, 12:28   #1
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age
Relocation of Sky Satellite

Hi

I can''t get Sky at present cos of a tree in my garden but i've just read this over at DS.

"Astra is to move its 2C satellite from its current UK-optimal position at 28.2 degrees East to 31.5 degrees,"

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitalt...-be-moved.html

I know no one can tell me for sure (after all you dont know how big the tree is lol) but does this make a BIG difference as far as eye line view goes? Also will all exisitng Sky viewers have to have someone out to change their sky dish position?

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Whoever moved this for me, thanks very much
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2009, 12:36   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Relocation of Sky Satellite

It won't make any difference at all. According to DS, the move is temporary, and while it's away serving eastern Europe all the Sky channels will move onto the 5A satellite which is remaining at 28.2 East.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:43   #3
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Bugger!I thought it seemes to suggest they would stay at 31.5 >
Old 10-03-2009, 12:49   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Fraid not ... and even if the move was permanent, it wouldn't help you unless one end of your house was somewhere near Warsaw, so you could move your dish ...
Old 10-03-2009, 12:59   #5
zing_deleted

can you not cut the tree down?
Old 10-03-2009, 13:01   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Alternatively get a bigger dish? My line of sight is spoiled by trees, although in my case the standard minidish still works. So I'm guessing it won't take much to grab the signal, even with the tree there. Unless it's a large, dense Lelandii or something like that, of course. In which case you should definitely chop the horrid thing down.
Old 10-03-2009, 13:16   #7
Mobes
cf.mega poster

No such luck mate... i've had 3 or 4 "Sky" engineers out who have pretty much said i'm fooked... lol.

I hoped if my presumption had been correct that the change in position would have made it possible... ahh well... Virgin Media is better anyway :p lol...
Old 10-03-2009, 14:41   #8
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

You must have a very small house.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 14:55   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Why can't you have the dish on a small mast down the garden somewhere, out of the way of the trees? Or up high on your gable end at the roof's apex? You would need either an independent installer or a Sky 'special heights' team to do that.
Old 10-03-2009, 17:18   #10
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
You must have a very small house.
Why? And it's not... it's one MASSIVE Oak tree right outside and other very tall trees behind that oak tree...

Chirs - The apex of the house still isn't tall enough... one guy said he could get me a signal but it would have to sit ontop of a very high mast right at the front of the house which would look so fooking ugly it's not true...

Apparently i am the only house in the street not able to get a decent easy signal... go figure
Old 10-03-2009, 20:22   #11
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Attach the Sky dish to the tree?
Old 10-03-2009, 20:34   #12
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Attach the Sky dish to the tree?
You are joking right?
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 20:38   #13
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post
You are joking right?

Why not - it's a solution...not the best solution, but it would solve the issue...
Old 10-03-2009, 20:42   #14
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

No it wouldn't. Trees move.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 20:54   #15
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post
No it wouldn't. Trees move.
A big fat trunk of the oak tree moves by itself? That's I'd like to see!

What I meant was - attach sky dish to the trunk and trim a few branches if required...