Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

Old 16-01-2007, 18:31   #46
morrk
Inactive

morrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nice
Re: Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

Oh well thats me out of ideas then

Prolly will end up going down to 4 meg for the time being then as I only ever use this for between the hours affected and again for the 3rd night 580 KB/s pfff
morrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2007, 18:33   #47
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

This evening i'm down to 2-3mb (mainly 2mb) speeds. :| Browsing has been ridiculous since the beginning of the year, sometimes taking 10-15 seconds to load a website. But if anything, this new capping has coincided with even slower browsing. Maybe it's a local fault, rather than the same thing the OP is suffering.
DieDieMyDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 18:36   #48
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling View Post
This evening i'm down to 2-3mb (mainly 2mb) speeds. :| Browsing has been ridiculous since the beginning of the year, sometimes taking 10-15 seconds to load a website. But if anything, this new capping has coincided with even slower browsing. Maybe it's a local fault, rather than the same thing the OP is suffering.
You're being traffic shaped, as indeed am I.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 19:00   #49
morrk
Inactive

morrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nice

That appears to be very slow even if capping is happening. Try maybe specifying an alternative proxy server and see if that makes any difference?
morrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 19:17   #50
Down the Pub
Inactive

Services: Phone/TV/50meg
Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute

bill, how'd you manage to get 9.3megs DL? most i can seem to get on my 10 connection is 1.2megs.....ohhhhhh the disappointment when i could be getting more
Down the Pub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 19:21   #51
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down the Pub View Post
bill, how'd you manage to get 9.3megs DL? most i can seem to get on my 10 connection is 1.2megs.....ohhhhhh the disappointment when i could be getting more
Its a setting in newsleecher. bits or bytes.
Old 16-01-2007, 19:31   #52
Down the Pub
Inactive

Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute

D'oh, oh well nothing wrong then, after the day i've had i feel like having a moan .........2142's coming back out tonight
Old 16-01-2007, 19:34   #53
Bill C

Quote:
D'oh, oh well nothing wrong then, after the day i've had i feel like having a moan .........2142's coming back out tonight
You want to try my day m8. Remember i work for NTL
Old 16-01-2007, 19:36   #54
Down the Pub
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
You want to try my day m8. Remember i work for NTL
could be worse then
Old 16-01-2007, 19:52   #55
domo247
Inactive

Services: V.I.Package. 20Mbit. 255 Modem. Samsung S.T.B. V+ PVR.
domo247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to domo247 Send a message via MSN to domo247

Quote:

thank contention ratios you are not actually downloading that quick as would be one jealous bitch!
domo247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 19:52   #56
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I suppose the real issue here is the technology behind this trial. Previously ISPs seem to have required some sort of manual assessment of the user to then shape them. I wonder if this is much more automated? It certainly seems more targeted on a specific connection, based on what we see posted already from those we know are affected, in that it gets all traffic, rather than just aiming at certain types of traffic to a general area.

What gets me is that ISPs want you to pay more for having the faster service, but then object to you using it, and effectively downgrade you to the lesser service, but at the higher price.

But is the real problem a difference in expectation between customer and ISP? The customer believes they can use the connection as much as they want, and this has become ingrained over the years, with nobody really challenging that expectation. However the ISPs perception is that faster speeds are there simply to get that odd file to you faster, not so you can get more and more and more in the same time. I suspect it's too late for the two differences to be reconciled.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 19:52   #57
die5el
Inactive

die5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nice

If they Keep traffic shaping on the so called 'upto' 10 meg broadband perhaps we should pay 'upto' 10 meg prices instead of paying top whack prices for getting half the speed service that we pay for. Its not the customers fault if the company cant cope. They shouldn't offer it in the first place if thats the case.
die5el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 20:00   #58
domo247
Inactive

Services: V.I.Package. 20Mbit. 255 Modem. Samsung S.T.B. V+ PVR.
domo247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to domo247 Send a message via MSN to domo247

I certainly think rather than trying to increase speeds to 50MB they should try to lower contention ratios thus they don’t have to shape traffic. I presume although this may sound easier it is in actual fact more complex and more expensive.

I would rather pay the full price for 20MB and actually get 10MB with no snapping, than paying for 50MB and getting a throttled 40MB connection with limits.

Btw im not suggesting NTL offer 1:1 to connections!
domo247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 21:01   #59
RXP
Inactive

Services: 20mbit net Sky Family TV Usenet axxs for HD films
RXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the rough

If they thorttle my connection I'll have no incentive to keep my downloads between 00:30 and 06:00. Sucks.
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 21:15   #60
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Forget speeds from this country, NTL need to sort out their links to the USA. I can get 1Mbps max from USA (Texas) where my dedicated server is hosted, and where I regularly transfer around 40gb of files from it to my storage server at home. It took me 6 days to get the last batch of 90gb (I waited a while this time) when it should have taken 2-3 days if they had a decent connection. I was often down to 0.5Mbps total when downloading.

UK speeds are great, USA is not. Maybe I should find uk based proxy that has a decent USA link and try using that instead.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote