Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

Old 15-01-2007, 22:17   #16
morrk
Inactive

morrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nice
Re: Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
sign up to giganews new secure package and you can use a different port used mainly for normal http traffic
Bout 3/4 hour ago my speeds went back to 5 meg equivalent again. Tried upgrading to Diamond Giganews account to test but no different using 563 or 443 and opening 20 connections. Still 580

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

My modem is still showing 10 meg config btw Sorry for being a doubting Thomas Bill C! I been out for 3 months now and wasn't sure what had happened since then as trying my best to forget The Indian guy I spoke to definately said my QOS had changed tho.
morrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2007, 23:15   #17
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

The same thing is going on in Belfast, has been for the past 2 nights. Using Giganews here. Used to get around 7mb on my NTL 120, last 2 nights i'm down to 5mb (give or take 10k).
DieDieMyDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 23:56   #18
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
My newsgroup access is not being traffic shaped and i am sure others can back me up with that.
Yup I can help there!

Port 563 if anyones interested?
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 00:01   #19
morrk
Inactive

morrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nice

You aint in Swansea though. It appears I am being picked on
Old 16-01-2007, 00:06   #20
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrk View Post
You aint in Swansea though. It appears I am being picked on
Did you upset any managers at Swansea Support when you were there?
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 00:07   #21
morrk
Inactive

lol well one or two
Old 16-01-2007, 11:13   #22
mcfc2134
Inactive

mcfc2134 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use easynews on a not so regular basis, but I have found that the download speeds I get are no where near what my 4mb connection should achieve.

In the evenings the d/l rate will be incredibily unstable ranging from as low as 50k/sec up to around 220k/sec. I never get a constant full speed.

It certainly makes me wonder if NTL are limiting the speed of my connection when connecting to easynews servers.....? Oh, and slightly off topic - how does giganews compare to easynews?
mcfc2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 11:34   #23
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfc2134 View Post
It certainly makes me wonder if NTL are limiting the speed of my connection when connecting to easynews servers.....?
Ntl don't have to limit, traffic shape or anything, they just choose to use a pipe to the USA with the diameter of a drinking straw.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 16:23   #24
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Ntl don't have to limit, traffic shape or anything, they just choose to use a pipe to the USA with the diameter of a drinking straw.
Hmmm that's a transit issue though, not NTL's pipe(s).
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 17:31   #25
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Just had it confirmed by my mate that still works in NTL that this is indeed correct. NTl are dropping 10 meg to 5 in the evenings in Swansea as a trial

hmm so lets get this straight, your a paying customer of the upto 10meg package and they are placing you on an upto 5meg trial package thats a (far) slower rate than your paying for without first informing you of said fact?.

so during these times your infact never able to get the payed for upto 10mbit, hmmmm, WHY are they doing this or think they can take away a payed for package as they see fit.

if its a case of wanting to test a new 5megabit modem config im sure the 4meg and below users would be grateful to take part and give feedback, however reducing a service without reduced costs to the user, never mind not informing them, is wrong if thats what your implying?.

out of interest when this happens whats your modem config say INCLUDING the upload rate?.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 17:34   #26
morrk
Inactive

To answer the question, in my experience Giganews is great. I have tried various other usenet providers over the years and they have proved to be the most stable and continually max out my 10 meg line all day every day except the last 2

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
hmm so lets get this straight, your a paying customer of the upto 10meg package and they are placing you on an upto 5meg trial package without first informing you of said fact?.

so during these times your infact never able to get the payed for upto 10mbit, hmmmm, WHY are they doing this or think they can take away a payed for package as they see fit.

if its a case of wanting to test a new 5megbit modem config im sure the 4meg and below users would be grateful to take part and give feedback, however reducing a service without reduced costs to the user, never mind not informing them, is wrong if thats what your implying?.
To correct my previous post the config file is not being changed but my traffic is certainly appearing to be limited to almost exactly half speed.
Old 16-01-2007, 17:41   #27
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Sources to Cable Forum have confirmed that there is a trial downgrade scheme to 5meg speeds is happening in the Swansea area. It currently applies between 4pm and 12pm and affects less than 5% of customers in the area.

Apparently customers on whom this is applied will be in breach of the AUP. Only problem is that the AUP says use is unlimited. Brings back the good old days of capping policies
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 17:45   #28
Doofy
Inactive

Doofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Sources to Cable Forum have confirmed that there is a trial downgrade scheme to 5meg speeds is happening in the Swansea area. It currently applies between 4pm and 12pm and affects less than 5% of customers in the area.

Apparently customers on whom this is applied will be in breach of the AUP. Only problem is that the AUP says use is unlimited. Brings back the good old days of capping policies
If what i am experiencing lately is down to over usage so to speak, and the speed dropped to 5 meg between 4 and 12 helped, then that can only be a good thing IMO i certainly wouldn't complain especially if i get any better service..
Doofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 17:50   #29
morrk
Inactive

If this is the case and I am in breach of some AUP loophole I would thought somebody would have been in touch to let me know this was the case at least?
Old 16-01-2007, 17:56   #30
Doofy
Inactive

Doofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
If this is the case and I am in breach of some AUP loophole I would thought somebody would have been in touch to let me know this was the case at least?
You would have thought so but i supopose NTL has to do something about some people hammering there connections for all there worth, even if it's just to give everyone an acceptable level of service. Not saying everyone will agree with it and most probably won't like it but if it improves the service for the majority then bring it on......
Doofy is offline   Reply With Quote