Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

Old 18-01-2007, 00:11   #151
Doofy
Inactive

Doofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KN4995 View Post
Well, I don't have a P2P app on my machine.. But I take very careful notice of my speeds, just 'coz I'm geeky like that.
Mine definately drop lower than they should be in the evening. I'm certain of it.
(he says with his paranoid hat on ).
I will borrow your paranoid hat m8 I am convinced my access to my news server has been throttled, havent been able to get over 1 meg all day and then midnight comes and bang back to full speed. (same everyday for a week) Not that i mind i just wish they would say one way or the other and i wouldnt have wasted 10 hours on the phone to TS.....
Doofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2007, 00:14   #152
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Most Xbox live games. There are very few that are hosted on dedicated servers. Most of the traffic is p2p over udp port 3074.

Well that makes no difference to me as im a pc gamer so I certainly aint gonna be wanting to host one
Old 18-01-2007, 00:22   #153
Doofy
Inactive

Doofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation era

Just a question how do i find out if my news connection is being held back who do i phone? please god don't tell me it's TS
Old 18-01-2007, 01:02   #154
KN4995
Permanently Banned

KN4995 is a jewel in the roughKN4995 is a jewel in the roughKN4995 is a jewel in the roughKN4995 is a jewel in the roughKN4995 is a jewel in the rough

Strange.
My NG server (astraweb) is always fine.
KN4995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:22   #155
Dawn Falcon
Inactive

Dawn Falcon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachelbel View Post
Well if you accept that principle then the simple question again is 'what is the point of high speed BB'
Absolutely. Nothing. Whatsoever. Downgrade now.

I'm perfectly happy on 4MBit, and I use ~15GB a month. (And the other 3 people sharing it use another 2GB). If the 10MBit is capped, and thus has crappy gaming performance in those hours, it's yet another reason to pay less.

And without an official way of monitoring bandwidth usage, they could just cap everyone in an area where there was insuifficient capacity. I'd love to say that that's paranoia, but it happened to me about 4 years ago with an ISP. (They told about 20 people in the area they were using x3 what DUMeter etc. recorded...). And until such mechanism is provided, sorry, it dosn't exist. And the bandwith limits DO.

I'd love to see, if an ISP advertises "unlimited" or "unmetered", them being forced to disclose any cap or "Subject to FUP" etc. in the same size font on the advert (web or print). THAT would stop a lot of the more ridiculous offers out there.

Zinglebarb, completely untrue. For example, the shared house I live in comes with said 4MBit NTL broadband and a wireless router. The price is included in my rent, but I have no choice of broadband service, etc.

This is NOT unusual arround here (Oxford).

Also, you're completely overlooking the effects of upload. Limiting the upload, as I'm sure happens (again, if it's not - PROVE IT! - I've seen this before on other ISP's, as I've said), is going to magnify the allready poor effects of traffic shaping on peoples ping...so yes, it's going to ruin the web experience of anyone affected. Downloading might be okay even at the reduced speed, but I'd doubt gaming or in many cases web browsing would be.
Dawn Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 10:38   #156
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Just a question how do i find out if my news connection is being held back who do i phone? please god don't tell me it's TS
what news server?
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 11:00   #157
pachelbel

Services: VM DTV + Phone + 2M BB now upgraded to FFFFFast 10M

I have a general question on traffic shaping.

Is traffic shaping implemented because the whole physical network cannot cope with the peak evening load.

Is it implemented because NTL's Servers cannot cope with the load.

Is it an area issue.

Is it a local street issue down to the cabinets.

We seem to have people who get great BB and others who get rubbish.

If its a whole network issue then the situation will surely only get worse. P2P is the current application causing the problems. No doubt more bigger, better, faster, resource hungry applications will appear.
Old 18-01-2007, 11:03   #158
Doofy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
what news server?
eurofeeds but my net is really dire today and i do mean dire
Old 18-01-2007, 11:05   #159
zing_deleted

A lot of the internet problems being bought up in this thread most likely not have anything to do with traffic shaping anyway
Old 18-01-2007, 11:09   #160
Doofy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
A lot of the internet problems being bought up in this thread most likely not have anything to do with traffic shaping anyway
I agree i did ask the rather helpful chap at swansea and he said it wasn't down to it top fella really polite and helpful
Old 18-01-2007, 11:17   #161
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachelbel View Post
I have a general question on traffic shaping.

Is traffic shaping implemented because the whole physical network cannot cope with the peak evening load.

Is it implemented because NTL's Servers cannot cope with the load.

Is it an area issue.

Is it a local street issue down to the cabinets.

We seem to have people who get great BB and others who get rubbish.

If its a whole network issue then the situation will surely only get worse. P2P is the current application causing the problems. No doubt more bigger, better, faster, resource hungry applications will appear.
NTL don't have one whole network, they have many. NTL haven't said anything about how they will use Traffic shaping. For the record, they haven't officially said they are using it at all.

The problem is that NTL (along with all commercial ISPs) has based their business model on the fact that not everyone is downloading 24 hours a day as it would not be profitable for them to operate a service where everyone (or a lot) of people where downloading 24 hours a day for £35 a month, As it is, I am told they take a fairly heavy loss on the top tier of bb access.

With P2P, this is often not a reality. People DO leave their PCs on 24/7 continually down/uploading. Cable is a shared medium. If you get a few people in an area using their 10 meg connections 24/7, it doesn't cause a problem. If you get hundreds (as might happen in a town or city), then everyone gets slow connections.

Can NTL servers cope? Depends on what services people are trying to access, and which area they are in. Most people's web browsing goes through a network of proxies NTL have set up. Some area's proxies cannot cope (Poplar and Bromley being two recent examples of this). Things like Streaming media and Newsgroups don't necessarily go through NTL's servers though. Sadly, the proxies do save NTL money (external bandwidth costs them), so we are unlikely to see the back of them anytime soon.

The French ISPs are (I believe) slightly different. They are (again, I believe) partially state funded, so profit is not so important. Our government is not so enlightened.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 11:30   #162
pachelbel

Services: VM DTV + Phone + 2M BB now upgraded to FFFFFast 10M

Cheers StuartC.

Supplement question. What monthly download is accepted as normal/high usage.
Old 18-01-2007, 11:32   #163
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

No one outside NTL knows. If anyone inside NTL knows, they don't appear to be saying.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 11:41   #164
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

As mentioned earlier - I have official confirmation from NTL that they are indeed using traffic shaping.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 11:44   #165
zing_deleted

on trial somewhere not everywhere